Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horror stories due to terrible travel companions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
A group of 12 of us were going away to Fiji. All was good until a week before the trip. Couple A wife and Couple B husband were having an affair. The 3rd couple were in laws of Couple A. 2 groups of friends didn't want to come along because of the ruckus.

In the end... the 2 cheaters stayed home, husband A and wife B went as singles on the trip as did the in laws. On day one they moaned, cried and bitc**d about their spouses then said after that they wouldn't talk about them again. In the end we had a pretty good time although it was a bit awkward. Lots of booze was drunk
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Brining this thread/discussion back. I've been asking following questions to perspective travel companions and to the people who want to visit us:

- What are your expectations and main reasons to be on this trip?
- Could you describe what would be the best or worst experience of this trip? Why?
- Are you self starter or do you expect others make plans for you?
- Do you have food allergies or preferences? What to you do if your preferred food is not available?
- Are you punctual? If you say 'I'll be there in 10 min' does it mean 10 min or '10 plus 30 more'?
- Have you been in long-distance (>10h) flight in Economy and how did you handle it?
- What is your experience and ways to deal with jetlag?
- Have you been thru culture shock? What caused it and how did you handle it?
- (when guests are visiting you) Do you expect that your hosts will pay for everything or you are willing to contribute? How much? (I know this question might will sound weird to people from Western societies but there are number of cultures around where if you are a host and invite someone in you home to stay, they will expect that you will pay for everything, including plane tickets, dinners, entertainment, etc)
- Are you fit/outdoors person? If yes, when was the last time you walked/hiked more than 2 hours on unmaintained trail?
- How do you handle hot/cold/dry/humid weather? How much heat/cold/humidity could alter your plans?
- Do you have an experience to be in different than your home climate before?
- Do like/hate crowds? Are you claustrophobic? Are you afraid of heights?
- Are you late sleeper or late night person?
- Do you drink alcohol? If so, how many drinks per evening out?

You can add your own questions in this list, but after starting asking these questions, 80% of perspective guests/travellers drop out which leaves only people who we are going to have good time with.
That degree of inquisition might strike a few people as rather impolite.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
If I got asked that list I wouldn't want to go away with them.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are these people complete strangers? Could you not answer most of these questions for friends or acquaintances of yours? Seems a bit of an odd procedure to have to go through.
They they are not complete strangers, but most of them are living 8000 and more km away and last time we lived in the same geographical are was >8 years ago. And people and their preference/behavior change over years.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If I got asked that list I wouldn't want to go away with them.
As said previously, less problem then.
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
That degree of inquisition might strike a few people as rather impolite.
I now prefer to be impolite than deal with 'I thought that' expressions afterwards. Expectation management is the key.

As it was proven and mentioned in this and parallel thread (see about cutting vacations) multiple of times - most people do not bother to do any research/preparation before travel and you might be surprise that some of them expect that things in foreign country to be very similar than their home country. Yep, have seen this as well - one lady from SF after arrival in Singapore on her way to Asia trip - Java, Borneo and Vietnam - told me that she every morning drinks only organic milk from grass fed free range cows and asked - 'I should not have a problem getting this milk there, right?'

Last edited by invisible; Jul 22, 2018 at 4:43 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:43 am

I'm currently on a trip with a slightly connected group. Traveling to /from airport in varying constellations and went to two events together. I'm the only one in the group who researched and planned her stuff. One emailed her accommodation from the airport because I mentioned we'd be arriving late. She assumed our convoluted itinerary with two unconnected rides of 30 minutes and 3,5 to 4 hrs could be done in two. From landing time at the airport. Not only no time planned for getting out of the airport (horrendous lines at passport control) no she had not even researched our bus rides far enough to know how long or far they were. Apparently the fact that I said don't panic we can figure it out at a planning conversation translates to not even thinking about the basics.
The other half of the group is fully incapable of being on time. And I mean 30+ minutes delays on events that won't wait for us.
Luckily we stay in different places and I just turn up for the fixed events and maybe dinner - otherwise I've been out exploring on my own
DesertBruce likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Reading this thread reminds me of why I travel alone.
jg3, rbwpi, Marschel and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Reading this thread reminds me of why I travel alone.
Or with just a spouse, but even that can be stressful if you have different styles.

I'm on a different travel related site where people plan group activities. Most of them are around 15 people and we have yet to find enough. I have been on organized tours of 20 plus people. Those were with Viking and you had a headset to hear the guide. I think on my next trip it will be me and my husband.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Spent around 15K to attend best friends wedding. Turned out her husband started to cheat on her 3 month before bells rang. Divorced him after 9 month.
Funny part is that his side knew about his flings and was telling us that it wouldn't last past 6 month. I thought it was all drunk talk.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
Spent around 15K to attend best friends wedding. Turned out her husband started to cheat on her 3 month before bells rang. Divorced him after 9 month.
Funny part is that his side knew about his flings and was telling us that it wouldn't last past 6 month. I thought it was all drunk talk.
Where was this wedding? Antarctica?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
I hope that was 15k miles, not $?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:54 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I used to be in a group of 10-20 guys who would meet in Las Vegas every year. We developed rules, one of the most significant being that one person just picks up each bill, whether it be restaurant, taxi or whatever. None of this "well, I just had the cottage cheese and iced tea" stuff for us. We were all friends, and we knew it all averaged out.
One year, a guy we knew to be a cheapskate invited himself along. You knew it wasn't going to work when he decided to stay in some off-Strip, William H. Macy in The Cooler-type motel as opposed to the reasonably low-priced Strip hotel the rest of us were in. (Note that the guy was a well-paid engineer. He was just cheap.) Then the new guy got all worked up when he was told about the payment rules and informed that it was his turn to pay. He eventually coughed up some money but never took his wallet out for the rest of the trip and basically tried to do the rest on the cheap. Not exactly the attitude we wanted to have on our annual gambling outing.
The following year, when it started coming up on trip planning time, he started asking about dates. I said we weren't sure we were going, etc, and I'd let him know. Of course, we planned the trip privately and had a great time without the cheapskate.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Brining this thread/discussion back. I've been asking following questions to perspective travel companions and to the people who want to visit us:

- What are your expectations and main reasons to be on this trip?
- Could you describe what would be the best or worst experience of this trip? Why?
- Are you self starter or do you expect others make plans for you?
- Do you have food allergies or preferences? What to you do if your preferred food is not available?
- Are you punctual? If you say 'I'll be there in 10 min' does it mean 10 min or '10 plus 30 more'?
- Have you been in long-distance (>10h) flight in Economy and how did you handle it?
- What is your experience and ways to deal with jetlag?
- Have you been thru culture shock? What caused it and how did you handle it?
- (when guests are visiting you) Do you expect that your hosts will pay for everything or you are willing to contribute? How much? (I know this question might will sound weird to people from Western societies but there are number of cultures around where if you are a host and invite someone in you home to stay, they will expect that you will pay for everything, including plane tickets, dinners, entertainment, etc)
- Are you fit/outdoors person? If yes, when was the last time you walked/hiked more than 2 hours on unmaintained trail?
- How do you handle hot/cold/dry/humid weather? How much heat/cold/humidity could alter your plans?
- Do you have an experience to be in different than your home climate before?
- Do like/hate crowds? Are you claustrophobic? Are you afraid of heights?
- Are you late sleeper or late night person?
- Do you drink alcohol? If so, how many drinks per evening out?

You can add your own questions in this list, but after starting asking these questions, 80% of perspective guests/travellers drop out which leaves only people who we are going to have good time with.
Let me guess. You work in HR?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTD
I used to be in a group of 10-20 guys who would meet in Las Vegas every year. We developed rules, one of the most significant being that one person just picks up each bill, whether it be restaurant, taxi or whatever. None of this "well, I just had the cottage cheese and iced tea" stuff for us. We were all friends, and we knew it all averaged out.
One year, a guy we knew to be a cheapskate invited himself along. You knew it wasn't going to work when he decided to stay in some off-Strip, William H. Macy in The Cooler-type motel as opposed to the reasonably low-priced Strip hotel the rest of us were in. (Note that the guy was a well-paid engineer. He was just cheap.) Then the new guy got all worked up when he was told about the payment rules and informed that it was his turn to pay. He eventually coughed up some money but never took his wallet out for the rest of the trip and basically tried to do the rest on the cheap. Not exactly the attitude we wanted to have on our annual gambling outing.
The following year, when it started coming up on trip planning time, he started asking about dates. I said we weren't sure we were going, etc, and I'd let him know. Of course, we planned the trip privately and had a great time without the cheapskate.
Compatible attitudes to expenditure are very important (not necessarily size of bank account). If you are naturally unconcerned about expenditure when letting your hair down, having someone counting the pennies is a real downer.

On the rare occasions I travelled with my late father, he drove me potty trying to save piddling little amounts on literally everything.

An example was on a European trip with two family members, he wanted to rent a Renault Twingo (yeah that's right - for 4 adults plus luggage) because it was something like 20 euro cheaper for the week than a large Volvo station wagon.

My response was "Dad - here is €20. Go. And. Get. The [expletive] Volvo!"

It kind of played into my hands though in the end, because he insisted on driving all the time to save the additional driver fee, leaving me free to hoe into the beer.

On the other hand, I can only imagine the pain if you are a real cheapskate, being expected to spend, spend, spend.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by rickg523
Let me guess. You work in HR?
LOL.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

When my brother in law married an Australian, the whole family went down under for the wedding. I knew travelling with extended family was going to be...rough...to say the least. I have my methodologies down as an FF and know all the tricks for flying, but I also know how I like to visit cities on leisure trips. My father in law on the other hand is what we here at FT call "a kettle". He still thinks you can show up at the desk before the flight like it was still 1985 and get a nice seat assignment. He still says things like "They will hold the plane for us".

He is also the sort of traveler who will plan everything down to the minute and be constantly on the go to see all the sights looking like a caricature of a tourist , sandals, socks, camera around the neck. Me...I am more like the bars and naps type. He had to fill every minute and was schedule-OCD. It was just hell and I didn't enjoy my "tour" of Sydney.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.