Horror stories due to terrible travel companions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horror stories due to terrible travel companions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
On the bright side, he's game to drive anywhere, even when it involves manual transmission cars, complex roundabouts, and being on the 'wrong' side of the road. So even though it seems like I do 97% of all trip planning, I remind myself that it ends up being a fair split of vacation labor once the trip is underway.
I do most of this, too. He usually drives in the US because he's a horrible navigator and me relying on him for directions results in murderous threats. I drive us overseas including "other side" countries because I used to work in England and can get used to it rather quickly. He did a teeny little bit of driving in NZ once because I needed to be picked up from a shop. The agreement is that overseas, the GPS is on and I am paying attention to it. No commentary from him needed. He is useful for going to get things when I am just not in the mood or too tired to move. Always goes to get breakfast and somehow often convinces staff to let him leave with my plate. I am a breakfast in my PJs type of girl.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Babaduck
I only got him to agree because he thought it was a 5 hour flight (yes, I'm a very plausible liar). I only told him the flight was longer AFTER we took off...
This is amazing. I've lowballed flight times with partners before, but never too crazy because I figured they knew distances and/or how fast an airplane can travel.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NotSoFrequentColorado
I'm on the in-laws' side and don't see why you have a problem with them repaying you. I use the take-turns and put-it-in-the-spreadsheet method with everyone I travel with. Especially at meals, splitting evenly isn't fair to anyone. Some people drink more than others (that would be me usually), some order big steaks (not me), some eat and drink very little, etc. Separate checks whenever possible makes it easy. And we never try to figure it out at the table - get receipts, record it later.
Splitting checks is one thing, ok. But jamming excel spreadsheets up people's noses when you're just trying to have a nice time is poor form. Either you need to sort it out beforehand or roll with the flow.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Once in Europe, one guy in our group of 4 would only eat American food.
It really limited the options for the remainder, who wanted to eat like locals.
This spring I went on a large group trip with my older son. I have a policy of avoiding chain restaurants that we can eat at back home when we are traveling. My son agrees with me so when the rest of the group wanted to go to Cracker Barrel we ditched them and went to a delicious local artisanal pizza place.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:30 pm

So leave them behind.

DON
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
People who cannot respect the schedule and other people's time drive me crazy. My wife and one of her friends dealt with a cannot-be-on-time friend on a few trips by lying to her about when events started. For example, if the show started at 8 and seating opened at 7, they'd tell her the show was at 7 and doors opened at 6. Then, when she'd promise to arrive at 6 and show up at 6:50, they'd still have a decent place in line. She caught onto the ruse after 2-3 times and was angry until her friends pointed out that otherwise she would have wrecked the event for everyone.

Personally I prefer not to mislead people but instead to treat them like adults. Including, adults who can be left behind. "DW and I are going hiking Friday morning," I announced on a Wednesday to a group of friends at a house party several months ago. "Who wants to come? We'll be leaving the house at 7am." About a dozen people expressed interest. "OK, great," I said, "But we're leaving promptly at 7." Half the hands went down. I checked against Thursday evening.... "Leaving tomorrow promptly at 7. I'll knock on your door at 6:30 if I don't see you up yet, but that's it; we leave on time. Who's in?" By then there was only one taker. And to his credit he was 100% ready to roll at 6:45 while everyone else was sound asleep.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Personally I prefer not to mislead people but instead to treat them like adults. Including, adults who can be left behind. .
I made a rule clearly communicate to people that there will be no waiting and ask them to repeat what they've heard after one cause when we almost miss the flight because she wanted to finish breakfast.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
I made a rule clearly communicate to people that there will be no waiting and ask them to repeat what they've heard after one cause when we almost miss the flight because she wanted to finish breakfast.
I do this with my children, occasionally, but not adults with whom I want to maintain a friendship!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow! Talk about an overreaction! Jail? Give me a break.
Jail? For flagrantly breaking the law? Sounds reasonable to me (and, I would suspect, to most)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chrisboote
Jail? For flagrantly breaking the law? Sounds reasonable to me (and, I would suspect, to most)
Jail for sex in an unlocked office? No wonder the prison population is so high. I stick with 'give me a break'.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:02 am

Changing Travel styles

For 20 years my Traveling Companion and I have gone once or twice a year to a country that's considered very desirable by Americans.

In the early years a dear college Friend of mine suggested we all go together (my TC and me, my Friend and spouse) on the next trip.

I considered the possibility because Friend and I travelled Europe together with another friend years ago after college on a successful three month trip.

While not on the hostel and backpack level but more on the tourist hotel and proper luggage level, we all had frugal spending habits while still having a good time: restaurants and picnics, plays and opera, shopping, museums, etc.

Fast forward thirty years. Friend now only travels first class and wouldn't consider anything below 5 star hotel, fine dining, limos, big city life, fast paced, ten days MAX.

That's fine, they can afford it (and actually we probably could too) but that style of travel means nothing to me besides being a huge waste of money.

Our travel style is low-key, small town/country village, modest cottage, local restaurants, leisurely walks, reading, seeing friends we've made over the years, 2-3 weeks minimum.

Quite clear these two travel styles aren't compatible.

And also we don't want to travel with other Americans as the comfort and familiarity of good old friends tends to induce us all to stay in our own "pod" and prevent meeting other people.

Instead of bluntly confronting Friend with these thoughts and observations I just gently (I hoped) pointed them out for consideration and discussion.

In the end we agreed it wouldn't work thus avoiding another Travel Horror Story!

As others have pointed out, be detailed and specific before travel (admittedly hard with parents and in-laws though).
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by stickytoffee
<snip...> a country that's considered very desirable by Americans. </snip...>
What does that even mean? Is there really one country out of the existing 195 that is (even more or less) universally desirable among nearly 327 million Americans? Most times, I can't get my relatively small group of friends to agree on where to go to dinner!
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Welcome to FlyerTalk, stickytoffee! You're right that people's travel styles change over time. A person's physical limits change with age, discretionary budget can increase (or decrease!), and tastes simply change, too. The fact that two people had compatible travel styles 10 or 20 years ago is no guarantee they're compatible today. It's always best to talk through plans for a trip before committing, even with an old friend.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
This is amazing. I've lowballed flight times with partners before, but never too crazy because I figured they knew distances and/or how fast an airplane can travel.
Well, its only 6 and a half the other direction. Not too far off.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I do this with my children, occasionally, but not adults with whom I want to maintain a friendship!
With people who say 'Oh it will take just 5 min to get my makeup' when it takes 45 min this is the only way
At the same time - before you say this - yes, you will be better off not travelling with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.