Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do they wash or sanitize those blankets on planes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond

I notice a lot of people just leave them on the floor as they leave the plane, does anyone know if airlines (say US based airlines) actually wash or sanitize those?

Along the same lines, do airlines sanitize the noise cancelling headphones at all?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:59 pm

I've been wondering the same. Resealing them in plastic bags is certainly supposed to perpetuate the impression that they do. The blankets never feel particularly fresh though. I'd imagine any sanitization is probably minimal. Still, many other things on a plane are likely to be much more dirty including the seats themselves. And what kind of stuff can be discovered by fishing inside the seat pockets...
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I notice a lot of people just leave them on the floor as they leave the plane, does anyone know if airlines (say US based airlines) actually wash or sanitize those?

Along the same lines, do airlines sanitize the noise cancelling headphones at all?
the NC headphones ive used mostly come with new sealed (disposable) foam or foam cover
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by deniah
the NC headphones ive used mostly come with new sealed (disposable) foam or foam cover
and this is relevant to blankets ?

never mind, disregard ...

Last edited by jrl767; Jul 6, 2016 at 6:08 am Reason: coffee was MIA
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jrl767
and this is relevant to blankets ?
the gentleman asked 2 questions.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was once given a sealed blanket, that on unfolding, turned out to have a past in flight meal (noodles) all over it. So I am going with no, not washed (or at least, not washed adequately!)
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:46 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by emma69
I was once given a sealed blanket, that on unfolding, turned out to have a past in flight meal (noodles) all over it. So I am going with no, not washed (or at least, not washed adequately!)
That is extremely gross!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:03 am

They don't according to this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/st...-airplane.html
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:16 pm

I don't expect them to get washed that often which is why if I use one, which is rarely, I'll use it to cover my legs like I did on a recent redeye where the cabin was kept quite cool.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by Gringa
Timely article. Which reminds me of this lady who put her feet, with shoes still on, on the touchscreen panel during my last flight.

Ok, this thread just confirms that I should not place the blanket next to my neck/face but just over already clothed areas.

But then I just remembered the pillows, I'm assuming the pillow covers are not washed either...
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
That is extremely gross!
Really, really gross! We don't have a emoji of a green face looking ill, but if we did this post would be covered with them. Gross!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:00 pm

There is another thread, here, asking about the plane blankets and a flight attendant (I think!) posted that her fellow flight attendants called the blankets Cootie Catchers or something similar because of how dirty they really are! Uuuuuugggghhh
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If you think the blankets are bad, how about those seats...
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I bring a pillow case on my long-haul flights. I also used to bring a sheet to put on the seat, but I decided it wasn't worth it in terms of extra bulk to carry around just for that purpose. The pillow case is of course much smaller bulk and it is the thing next to your face.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
a friend who is an AA FA told me that their blankets in sealed bags in F are removed and laundered after each flight. The coach blankets are just folded and then reused. I think those are washed once a month. The FAs call the coach blankets "bacteria wraps" because of all the passenger filth, food, and bodily secretions on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.