Wiki Posts
Search

"Sully", the movie

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Seby12
Was watching the trailer and came across this funny scene.

New AA paint job. Also Continental and United wouldn't merge for another 3 years.
I do believe they got the WN livery right.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Because the movie is called "Sully" not "Sully and the guy who sat beside him whose name no one remembers."
Thats exactly why i ask. The co pilot does not have seen to have gotten any credit anywhere. I am sure he helped get the plane down.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just saw it. Best movie of the year and I'm sure Hanks will nominated for an Oscar.

Aaron Eckert was awesome as co-pilot Stiles including the awesome broom on his mouth lol

Thumbs up for plane accuracy-- Spot-on. I wonder if AA loaned them a 320 for the film.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by honeytoes
I just got back from seeing "Sully". It was fantastic...goosebumps the whole time. SO EFFING GOOD. ^^^^^
Yes me too. Watched it in Dayton the birthplace of Aviation. I loved it.

The planes had "Continental" on not United.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Sep 12, 2016 at 6:15 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes me too. Watched it in Dayton the birth[place of Aviation. I loved it.

The planes had "Continental" on not United.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that scene today. Perhaps the image from above was pre-production.

FWIW I didn't see the new liveried AA bird in that scene as well.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GateHold
Why don’t we have a John Testrake movie? Why don’t we have a Bernard Dhellemme movie? Or an Al Haynes movie, or a Brian Witcher movie? And others too. Chances are you’ve never heard of these people -- maybe because their planes didn’t come splashing down alongside the world’s media capital?
I was thinking Carlos Dardano. Or Robert Schornstheimer.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Thats exactly why i ask. The co pilot does not have seen to have gotten any credit anywhere. I am sure he helped get the plane down.
No doubt he did but it's not a documentary. Movies that are "based on actual events" are heavily dependent on poetic license, composite characters and screenwriter imaginations.

Some years ago I was peripherally involved in a series of events that become the basis of an execrable made-for-TV movie. Not being a main participant my role wasn't part of the movie but I was present for much of what was portrayed and the movie version bore no resemblance to reality. Real life just isn't that dramatic.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that scene today. Perhaps the image from above was pre-production.
That's what I was thinking, you could very easily find that scene at LGA today. (Minus the construction) They probably just took the shot so they could make trailer.

If anyone is interested in seeing the mistakes, a new AA Eagle plane appears at 0:19, the scene at LGA appears at 0:30

Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last movie I saw in a theater was "Up in the Air". Considering how heavily the [United] Airlines version of it was modified (to wipe out references to AA), I guess I should watch this one in a theater too....
Old Sep 12, 2016, 9:53 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by username
The last movie I saw in a theater was "Up in the Air". Considering how heavily the [United] Airlines version of it was modified (to wipe out references to AA), I guess I should watch this one in a theater too....
Yeah I tend to avoid seeing things in theaters because I know eventually I will catch it on a plane. Something tells me that this movie won't be featured on IFE .
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by appleguru
His history as an air force pilot, how he founded his own company as an air safety consultant (BEFORE this event happened; http://safetyreliability.com ), how he was a very talented glider pilot,
This also reminds me of the TV movie they made for that AC flight that went out of fuel and glided down.

---

For US 1549, I think another thing is the country really needed some good news as we were in the middle of the financial crisis.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
And I'm sure all of you probably already know this, but I didn't. I was curious why his call sign was 'Cactus 1549', rather than USAir 1549, so I looked it up. Harkens back to the old America West days. For those of you who, like me, didn't know this:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/trave...tory/25622473/

Which led me to wonder if there were any other cool/unusual call signs. So I found this:
http://www.pilotcareercenter.com/Sea...y-Region/2/USA

Now I am curious to know where 'Sasquatch' came from for SeaPort Airlines.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
I was paying quite close attention when I watched it tonight and I'm 99% sure that they fixed it in the release.

I remember being happy the birds said Continental. Though the Schimtar Winglets are still there.

I don't recall seeing the AA Livery, but it could've still been there.
I too noticed the UNITED painted on the 737s on the trailer, so I paid particular attention when seeing the movie today. They somehow edited it to say "Continental," but I thought it was interesting that the scimitar winglets are still there. I guess those came out in 2013/14 or thereabouts? The scene was too quick for me to notice any other details or anachronisms.

Very interesting movie... I was captivated the whole time. However, the last scene and ending was rather abrupt and anticlimactic. I feel like they could have built up to a better ending.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just saw the movie in Taiwan - with Chinese subtitle and in IMAX. My neck hurts. I don't know how people can watch an IMAX movie and read the subtitle.

I know I can't believe everything I see in movies but I would guess they tried to make it accurate...

Here are some thoughts and questions...with spoiler alert...assuming the movie is not edited from the US version....
  1. I did not follow the investigation closely but it did not seem any of these doubts made out to the public during the investigations, did they?
  2. In the hearing, did things really go from "you idiots" to "you are a hero" in the matter of minutes? (Probably not and this is what movies do)
  3. Did the NTSB really forget the reaction time when they did the simulations until it got pointed out at the hearing?
  4. Did the flight attendants really get up and walk around cabin after the initial bird strike?
  5. In addition to the amazing actions in the cockpit, ATC was incredibly fast and efficient....and the guy cried after he thought he lost them. The guy should be recognized too!
  6. I did not fly US East during that time... did they have the life vests on the A320s. I have taken some US West A321 flights and did not remember they demoed the life vests - I thought it was seat cushion?
  7. I thought it was a little strange that they showed Sully pulling out coats for passengers to wear before they exited the aircraft. Did that really happen?
  8. I suppose they really stayed in Marriott hotels and it was not a product placement (since they complained about $5 Sneakers bar)?
  9. I suppose the Sony TV is a product placement since I have never seen a Sony TV in any hotels I have stayed at? (And the movie is a Warner Brothers movie )
  10. I know the movie is not about educating the public about evacuations and cabin safety. I wish it did cover the safety demo and gave some background education on how important it is to listen to the demo and know what to do in case of evacuation. The movie did exactly what the public does with the safety demo...
  11. Give the decision to ditch in the Hudson was the right decision, how would have history been written if they weren't perfect in the execution (even though everything turned out mostly OK)?

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by JackE
Yes! Let's reserve that term for airlines getting rid of change fees.
A miracle has with it an element of possibility, what you talk about is just straight up fantasy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.