Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Feel Guilty For Asking Pilot To Wait His Turn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feel Guilty For Asking Pilot To Wait His Turn?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:29 pm

Politesse is the only word you need to google.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Even if they're not "racing" through, having crew wait at security lines is just a needlessly inefficient use of crew resources.
Any employee waiting 'needlessly' at security is an inefficient use of employee time.

And security bottlenecks and chronic issues would be fixed much more efficiently if everyone had to wait their turn, including politicians and crews.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by weero
Any employee waiting 'needlessly' at security is an inefficient use of employee time.
Which is why other people where the airport is their place of employment (should) get priority queue access as well.

And security bottlenecks and chronic issues would be fixed much more efficiently if everyone had to wait their turn, including politicians and crews.
How does the order in which people are processed through security improve the rate of speed at which they're processed?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:01 pm

Which is why other people where the airport is their place of employment (should) get priority queue access as well.

How does the order in which people are processed through security improve the rate of speed at which they're processed?
The short answer is that it doesn't. What could go quite a ways toward fixing it would be if the people who own a responsibility for the problem had to suffer the consequences as well. Congressman Security at all Costs may be open to rational argument if they had to stand in line for 2 hours at DCA to get home on Friday.

In my world, the crew should be able to use a direct route as far as the TDC and then be processed expeditiously thru the scanning process without being able to jump the line there.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This applies equally to passengers traveling for business.

In most of the world, meaning people who do not work in airports, it's the employee's responsibility to get to their precise work location on time and on their own time. Other people, professional or not, don't go to the front of the line to enter a parking garage or take an elevator to their office.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This applies equally to passengers traveling for business.

In most of the world, meaning people who do not work in airports, it's the employee's responsibility to get to their precise work location on time and on their own time. Other people, professional or not, don't go to the front of the line to enter a parking garage or take an elevator to their office.
Passengers traveling on business are often leapfrogging the masses via PreCheck or elite lanes to the TSA Checkpoint. Should those programs be dismantled to put everyone on an equal footing?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Your analogy is incomplete. You did not mention the massive security queue in front of the parking garage elevator.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
i have to disagree. It is up to him to properly plan his time to get to his job in a timely manner. When I worked on shift, I was expected to get to my station on time. If I knew there would be inclement weather, I would have to plan accordingly. The flight crew should be doing the same. Shoving their way past passengers without any (supposed) manners is bad form and would earn a complain. If the pilot can't manage his time with any slack, then he'll have to learn.

(Note, same thing with elite flyers... if you start rudely shoving your way through a line because you're a FF, expect a few elbows to get in the way)...

It has been mentioned quite a few times that a little politeness will go a long way. "Excuse me, I am late to get to my station, could I please go ahead of you" will go a long way. To expect everyone to know the drill as someone said upthread is unrealistic... yes, this may be the pre-clearance line (which most FF would use), but what about the people who don't fly as often, but got pre-clearance at the advice of a FF? There are so many variables that we as the readers are not aware of (only one side of the story)...
Well said. I agree.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
The JetBlue pilot was a little rude, I think. Five flight attendants shoving past you as you're shoving your bag on the conveyer without saying a word is pretty rude too.

Regardless of how much rest the crew had, they're not to going to get to the airport earlier to wait in line a 30 minute security line. While crew lines are nice, not every airport has the resources to have them. Crew members will have to continue to cut. Hopefully they are nice and say excuse me, but some won't in the future, and FT will have another 30 page discussion on a rude pilot and crews cutting in line.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:18 am

So people who fly for work do not qualify as employees on company time for which reason again?
This isn't a serious question, right? If crews and even more so administrators had to undergo the very same procedure as everyone else, you'd not think that this would create strong incentives to speed processes up????
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Passengers traveling on business are often leapfrogging the masses via PreCheck or elite lanes to the TSA Checkpoint. Should those programs be dismantled to put everyone on an equal footing?
Yes. No exceptions would - in the long run -improve the ritual.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:55 am

So people who fly for work do not qualify as employees on company time for which reason again?
Because the airport is not their place of employment. The same reason that the bus driver is an employee for the bus company, the Pizza Hut employee taking the bus to work is not.

This isn't a serious question, right? If crews and even more so administrators had to undergo the very same procedure as everyone else, you'd not think that this would create strong incentives to speed processes up????
They do undergo the same security screening procedure, minus the waiting. I would like to know however, how making the crew wait will improve processing rates through the checkpoint.

Last edited by belfordrocks; Jun 23, 2016 at 9:04 am
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:59 am

Yes. No exceptions would - in the long run -improve the ritual.
While "the ritual" might be (slightly) improved for the masses, it will do so to the detriment of the airlines' bread-and-butter: the business traveler.

Loads will drop, the frequency of flights will be reduced, and prices will go up. I'm pretty sure this isn't in the best interests of all travelers.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:12 am

Another reason is that the pilot/flight attendant getting through security faster provides an overall benefit to the operation of the airport (through on time flights, better crew rest). The business traveler rushing to go to the United Club or gate lice next to the podium does not.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
While "the ritual" might be (slightly) improved for the masses, it will do so to the detriment of the airlines' bread-and-butter: the business traveler.

Loads will drop, the frequency of flights will be reduced...
...and hence the security wait and bottlenecks would be fixed. Which helps everyone in the end.
Because the airport is not their place of employment. The same reason that the bus driver is an employee for the bus company, the Pizza Hut employee taking the bus to work is not.
I heard this argument many times in a different context. And I cannot for the love of Zeus understand how this should be material or relevant in any way.

My best guess that it is a product of some legal precedent in the US and hence it tastes like an argument to those who grew up in this context.

I don't mean this disrespectfully, I just don't see the argument.
I would like to know however, how making the crew wait will improve processing rates through the checkpoint.
I answered this above. Twice.

By creating incentives for expedient screening for those who organise the screening process.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:32 pm

...and hence the security wait and bottlenecks would be fixed. Which helps everyone in the end.
Of course! Making it more expensive and less convenient is always the best solution ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.