Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Feel Guilty For Asking Pilot To Wait His Turn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feel Guilty For Asking Pilot To Wait His Turn?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
At FLL uniformed crew is allowed to cut to the front of the PreCheck line. There is almost never an objection; when there is, it seems to come from kettle types who have been randomized into precheck.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have no qualms with crew and airport staff skipping the line for the TDC. Most flyers know that is going to happen. However, where it does get to be a peeve is at the carry baggage screening. Without saying anything I have had crew members come around me and put their bags on the conveyor. That is plainly rude. Others are polite and at least say something to the affect of "May I jump around you?" Which is fine but undoubtedly they're a group of six FA so yer stuck.

That said given the crap show being run by TSA folks might as well expect more crew in the regular lines. I.e. dedicated crew lines will not be staffed.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I had a somewhat similar experience with an AA FA at MIA. The PreCheck line (me) merges with the Crew Member line (her) after the ID checker and I had placed my bags on the conveyor, and was at the front of the line with my stuff about to go in. There were about 8 people behind me, already cleared by the ID checker. The FA bypasses this line, cuts in front of me, pushes my bags back on the roller to make space for her bags. I asked her to please not touch my bags and not cut the line. She (with attitude) told me that she needed to catch her flight. I told her that we all needed to catch our flights but that it was rude and unprofessional to cut the line, and let it go. During the next hour before the flight boarded, I saw her multiple times walking around the concourse, shopping, getting coffee, etc. When I boarded my flight to LAX, guess who was the FA working F on my side of the plane ? She was not the most friendly FA I've had.

I did follow up with an email to AA, asking specifically if it is appropriate for an FA to push back other peoples' bags and cut the line at the Xray machine. I got a canned response back that "crew members are given expedited security" without specifically answering my question.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I had a somewhat similar experience with an AA FA at MIA. The PreCheck line (me) merges with the Crew Member line (her) after the ID checker and I had placed my bags on the conveyor, and was at the front of the line with my stuff about to go in. There were about 8 people behind me, already cleared by the ID checker. The FA bypasses this line, cuts in front of me, pushes my bags back on the roller to make space for her bags. I asked her to please not touch my bags and not cut the line. She (with attitude) told me that she needed to catch her flight. I told her that we all needed to catch our flights but that it was rude and unprofessional to cut the line, and let it go. During the next hour before the flight boarded, I saw her multiple times walking around the concourse, shopping, getting coffee, etc. When I boarded my flight to LAX, guess who was the FA working F on my side of the plane ? She was not the most friendly FA I've had.

I did follow up with an email to AA, asking specifically if it is appropriate for an FA to push back other peoples' bags and cut the line at the Xray machine. I got a canned response back that "crew members are given expedited security" without specifically answering my question.
You should respond back to AA saying that they didn't answer your specific question. Escalate if necessary when you get a canned response.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
At FLL uniformed crew is allowed to cut to the front of the PreCheck line. There is almost never an objection; when there is, it seems to come from kettle types who have been randomized into precheck.
And perhaps DYKWIA types too.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
A simple "excuse me, do you mind if I cut in front" would go a long way. These arrogant crew members often just completely ignore you and cut you right off. That's unacceptable.

Bingo. That's the problem with American service culture. All the pilot would have to do is say "I'm running late for the flight and there's no crew lane, would you mind if I went ahead of you?"
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
I don't give a poop about letting a crew member in a hurry cut the
line, but if there's attitude involved, there will be pushback.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by violist
I don't give a poop about letting a crew member in a hurry cut the
line, but if there's attitude involved, there will be pushback.
I guess people do not get it. It is not cutting in line. Like how premium classes can board before economy-that is a defined benefit.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I let a WN FA go in front of me; she thanked me, and I joked about getting a free drink next time I was on her flight.

She reached in her bag and handed me about 20 drink chits.

Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess people do not get it. It is not cutting in line. Like how premium classes can board before economy-that is a defined benefit.
That doesn't absolve you from common courtesy. An "excuse me", if nothing else, goes a long way.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I let a WN FA go in front of me; she thanked me, and I joked about getting a free drink next time I was on her flight.

She reached in her bag and handed me about 20 drink chits.

Well played, Doc!
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Though few people would complain about it, I'd guess that a significant portion of travelers do not know this policy -- especially infrequent travelers. The airport could simply post a sign, which would help both crew/airport employees and passengers.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Feel guilty

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Bingo. That's the problem with American service culture. All the pilot would have to do is say "I'm running late for the flight and there's no crew lane, would you mind if I went ahead of you?"
The real problem is that Americans expect an explanation from every professional- An airline pilot is not a service worker, nor is a police officer, or a registered nurse. These people have duties to their passengers/citizens/patients. We should let them focus on these duties.

To expect customer service is a disservice to yourself, and to those around you. Do you really want to be another stress in that pilots day?

Yes, the OP should feel guilty, totally unnecessary to disrespect professionals and do it in the name of "customer service".
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
But it does get silly sometimes. I've had 2-3 loads of crew cut in front and it was frustrating to inch forward, only to have another set of crew cut in line. Eventually I mentally said screw this and just held my ground. I don't think I was being unreasonable and as others have said, it's more the lack of acknowledgement from the crew that I am even there that IMHO causes the friction.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chix
Longtime frequent flyer here. At DCA PreCheck I was about 5th away from TSA agent for ID check (line had about 10 people).

JetBlue pilot walks up to nearby TSA agent about to go on break and asks her where the "crew line" is.

TSA gal says there is no crew line, you can use PreCheck line. JB pilot proceeds to cut in front of 10 people waiting with no "excuse me" words or,"I am late for my flight" or anything.

I politely tell the pilot to wait his turn in line.

Pilot says "you better hope you are not on my flight and shakes his head".

I do not further engage with any conversation or eye contact with this guy as I felt his approach was way off.

Should I feel bad for making him wait his turn?
No, don't feel bad. If he was running late he should have said so. For all we know, he may have been only deadheading. Besides, it's the pax that pay his wages and he represents the company while in uniform..as such, he is expected to be courteous to customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.