FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Transiting thru Iran (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1768172-transiting-thru-iran.html)

invisible May 25, 2016 10:23 am

Transiting thru Iran

OK, here is the situation - I have two citizenships, one from US and second - from a country with visa free visit of Iran.

Couple hours ago I was researching options on Skypicker to fly to Turkey from KUL and came some really weird route thru Tehran the price tag of less than $200 one way.

Could anyone tell what are implications if I will transit thru Iran, while taking but not showing my US passport and instead showing my second passport at checkpoint?

Server May 25, 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26679845)
OK, here is the situation - I have two citizenships, one from US and second - from a country with visa free visit of Iran.

Couple hours ago I was researching options on Skypicker to fly to Turkey from KUL and came some really weird route thru Tehran the price tag of less than $200 one way.

Could anyone tell what are implications if I will transit thru Iran, while taking but not showing my US passport and instead showing my second passport at checkpoint?

I don't it's a problem unless they ask directly about it. Just keep quiet and answer questions directly/honestly. Present the passport w/ visa free travel and you'll be good :D

MSPeconomist May 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Could a trip through Iran later prevent you from getting Global Entry or a job that requires a (USA) security clearance? In fact, what's the current rule on whether USA citizens are permitted (by the USA) to visit Iran?

Palal May 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26680734)
In fact, what's the current rule on whether USA citizens are permitted (by the USA) to visit Iran?

No restrictions on visits for US citizens.

invisible May 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26680734)
Could a trip through Iran later prevent you from getting Global Entry or a job that requires a (USA) security clearance?

I already have GE. I don't understand why transiting thru Iran while NOT using US passport would endanger my GE status.

jadecocoa May 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 26681301)
I already have GE. I don't understand why transiting thru Iran while NOT using US passport would endanger my GE status.

I don't see why it should. I visited Iran and got GE after the trip.

TheTakeOffRush May 25, 2016 7:24 pm

- Not volunteering info = advised
- Answering honestly if questioned specifically (including later, by U.S. authorities) = advised
- Lying = not advised
- Taking advice from internet strangers about legal matters = (hahahahaha)