Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airports/cities offer in town check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 23, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Rami Tamimi
HKG:Most airlines,appart from some LCCs. Available at 2 Airport Express Stations:Hong Kong and Kowloon. There is a requirement to purchase the AE ticket to access the check in hall.

KUL:Available for CX,MH,EK,EY,BI at KL Sental train station. There is a requirement to purchase the KLIA Ekspres ticket to access the check in hall.

AMM: RJ flights only at 7th Circle RJ office. Check in is open for all flights departing this and the next day. No requirement to pay for check in or buy any tickets,but checking in a piece of baggage will cost you around 2 or 3JOD (3-5USD),the fee is waived for OWE/OWS and J cl pax. Same goes for the bus from said office to the airport: 3JOD or waive your OWE/OWS card.

Etihad:
Abu Dhabi

City Terminal Check-in : open 24/7
Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre: open 9AM-8PM
Al Ain Airport check in facility+free bus transfer: open 9AM-8PM

Dubai

Etihad Travel Mall facility on Sheikh Zayed Road : open 24 hours

For the Dubai facility it says the following about the transfer options...

Quote:
To book the Etihad Luxury Coach service, ensure either Etihad Travel Mall is nominated as your departure destination, or if your flight is already booked, reserve your seat online 24 hours prior to departure.
...so I have gone thru the booking process,selecting Dubai Travel Mall as origin and LHR as destination...wow the Mall has it's own IATA code-XNB and the buses have their own flight numbers:EY 5411 departs XNB at 4:45. Sadly Expertflyer does not let me see the seat map-saying "There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: 0102 COMMUNICATIONS NOT AVAILABLE"

VIE:Austrian only?

TPE: Check in at 3 MRT stations. Only available for EVA and China Airlines.
UPD:
moondog

NNG (Nanning,China)ffers in town check-in at the bus station in the MixC, but this isn't much more useful than online check-in if you have luggage.

txflyer77

ICN

Offers this but only (IIRC) for the home-town airlines, not foreign carriers.

COEX mall in Seoul/Gangnam offers check in for most major airlines

televisor

ZRH/GVA:More in-country than in-town: ZRH and GVA offer check in the day before (same day in limited cases) at a bunch of railway stations in Switzerland (i.e. at most significant towns), but only on selected airlines. Similarly they offer transport back to your home station (any railway station). They even offer pickup/delivery from/to your own home, but that's more expensive.

US
MSPeconomist

In some huge USA convention hotels, you can check in and check your bag (for certain airlines) at a desk in the lobby for a fee. The Chicago Hyatt Regency had this service a couple years ago, although IIRC it was only available early morning through early afternoon and of course had an early deadline for bag drop relative to your flight's scheduled departure.

Germany:
MSPeconomist

Lufthansa Airport Express trains would do check in and tag bags on board for those with airline tickets for this (R.I.P.) special train service. At FRA, you left the bag on a big wheeled cart on the platform. IIRC there's still something like the bag drop for LH passengers, but no special almost nonstop (DUS-Koln-Bonn-FRA) trains with all comfy FC type seats and some at-seat F&B service.

Not operational/discontinued/status unknown:

moondog

PVG:Meanwhile, Shanghai has had a "City Airport Terminal" near jing'an Temple ever since PVG was opened, but I'm pretty sure it has never (as in not even for a single day of testing) been operational.

MSPeconomist

I haven't checked recently, but NRT used to do this from TCAT = Tokyo City Air Terminal for those taking the Friendly Airport LimoBus. At one time, the bus took passengers directly to aircraft and flights were held when the bus was late due to traffic, but it doesn't seem to be organized that way now.

LHR

MOW (SVO/DME/VKO)

BKK
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum

I am a really big fan of in town check in,eventhough I travel HBO most of the time,I like to get a paper BP,discuss the flight load and possibility of seat blocking (where available) with the check in agent as soon as possible. Knowing what's the flight going to be like a day in advance really helps me.

I am just curious,are there many airports which offer the in town check in service?

I know these do:

HKG:Most airlines,appart from some LCCs. Available at 2 Airport Express Stations:Hong Kong and Kowloon. There is a requirement to purchase the AE ticket to access the check in hall.

KUL:Available for CX,MH,EK,EY,BI at KL Sental train station. There is a requirement to purchase the KLIA Ekspres ticket to access the check in hall.

AMM: RJ flights only at 7th Circle RJ office. Check in is open for all flights departing this and the next day. No requirement to pay for check in or buy any tickets,but checking in a piece of baggage will cost you around 2 or 3JOD (3-5USD),the fee is waived for OWE/OWS and J cl pax. Same goes for the bus from said office to the airport: 3JOD or waive your OWE/OWS card.

VIE:Austrian only?

UPD:
moondog

NNG (Nanning,China)ffers in town check-in at the bus station in the MixC, but this isn't much more useful than online check-in if you have luggage.

txflyer77

ICNffers this but only (IIRC) for the home-town airlines, not foreign carriers.

televisor

ZRH/GVA:More in-country than in-town: ZRH and GVA offer check in the day before (same day in limited cases) at a bunch of railway stations in Switzerland (i.e. at most significant towns), but only on selected airlines. Similarly they offer transport back to your home station (any railway station). They even offer pickup/delivery from/to your own home, but that's more expensive.

US
MSPeconomist

In some huge USA convention hotels, you can check in and check your bag (for certain airlines) at a desk in the lobby for a fee. The Chicago Hyatt Regency had this service a couple years ago, although IIRC it was only available early morning through early afternoon and of course had an early deadline for bag drop relative to your flight's scheduled departure.

Germany:
MSPeconomist

Lufthansa Airport Express trains would do check in and tag bags on board for those with airline tickets for this (R.I.P.) special train service. At FRA, you left the bag on a big wheeled cart on the platform. IIRC there's still something like the bag drop for LH passengers, but no special almost nonstop (DUS-Koln-Bonn-FRA) trains with all comfy FC type seats and some at-seat F&B service.

Not operational/discontinued/status unknown:

moondog

PVG:Meanwhile, Shanghai has had a "City Airport Terminal" near jing'an Temple ever since PVG was opened, but I'm pretty sure it has never (as in not even for a single day of testing) been operational.

MSPeconomist

I haven't checked recently, but NRT used to do this from TCAT = Tokyo City Air Terminal for those taking the Friendly Airport LimoBus. At one time, the bus took passengers directly to aircraft and flights were held when the bus was late due to traffic, but it doesn't seem to be organized that way now.

LHR

MOW (SVO/DME/VKO)

BKK

Last edited by Rami Tamimi; May 22, 2016 at 1:40 pm
Old May 20, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
In HKG, you don't need to buy an AE ticket to access the Check In, at least at Central. Any Octopus card will get you in.
Old May 20, 2016, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
In HKG, you don't need to buy an AE ticket to access the Check In, at least at Central. Any Octopus card will get you in.
True,but they will charge your octopus with the AE fare once you go thru the gate to enter the check in area even if you don't take AE later. So there is still a requirement to "buy the ticket" ie:you can't just the facility for free.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

NNG offers in town check-in at the bus station in the MixC, but this isn't much more useful than online check-in if you have luggage.

Meanwhile, Shanghai has had a "City Airport Terminal" near jing'an Temple ever since PVG was opened, but I'm pretty sure it has never (as in not even for a single day of testing) been operational.
Old May 20, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Old May 21, 2016, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Interesting,seems that not so many airport/cities worldwide offer the facility.
Old May 21, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
In spite of the fact that I can't offer any more examples than Nanning, my gut tells me that there must be more Nannings out there.

Basically, any city with an airport bus/train is ostensibly fair game, but if you've never taken the bus/train, you would likely be unaware of the existence of such services.

As an aside, in the HK case, in addition to the hex, it's also possible to check-in (including luggage) on ferries from Macau, Shekou, zhuhai, and a few other places.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
ICN offers this but only (IIRC) for the home-town airlines, not foreign carriers.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: 1 thousand
More in-country than in-town: ZRH and GVA offer check in the day before (same day in limited cases) at a bunch of railway stations in Switzerland (i.e. at most significant towns), but only on selected airlines. Similarly they offer transport back to your home station (any railway station). They even offer pickup/delivery from/to your own home, but that's more expensive.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
the Heathrow Express (London) used to offer this service for selected airlines
Old May 22, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GadgetGal
the Heathrow Express (London) used to offer this service for selected airlines
Yeah I have read about it on here.Also I might be mistaken,but were not there a few self service check in kiosks at the HEX platform just 2-3 years ago...I might be ofcourse confusing them with HEX ticket vending machines.

Talking about airports that used to offer the service but have since discountinued the facility:

Moscow:All 3 Moscow airports used to offer in town check in at the Aeroexpress stations (trains to DME,VKO and SVO have always departed from diffirent railway stations),one could check in baggage and get the BP,but apparently very few people ended up using the service.

At some point S7 Airlines launched their own "in town check in" facility at Domodedovskaya metro station (you would have to get a bus from there to DME),but apparently it did not work either and they shut that office.

BKK: I remember there was a facility at Makassan station,but it's no longer working IIRC.

PS:Mods,maybe a wiki would be useful? I have included all the replies in the OP.
Old May 22, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah I have read about it on here.Also I might be mistaken,but were not there a few self service check in kiosks at the HEX platform just 2-3 years ago...I might be ofcourse confusing them with HEX ticket vending machines.

Talking about airports that used to offer the service but have since discountinued the facility:

Moscow:All 3 Moscow airports used to offer in town check in at the Aeroexpress stations (trains to DME,VKO and SVO have always departed from diffirent railway stations),one could check in baggage and get the BP,but apparently very few people ended up using the service.

At some point S7 Airlines launched their own "in town check in" facility at Domodedovskaya metro station (you would have to get a bus from there to DME),but apparently it did not work either and they shut that office.

BKK: I remember there was a facility at Makassan station,but it's no longer working IIRC.

PS:Mods,maybe a wiki would be useful? I have included all the replies in the OP.
You can start a wiki and then anyone with IIRC 90 posts and 90 days on FT can help to maintain it.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:01 am

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Originally Posted by txflyer77
ICN offers this but only (IIRC) for the home-town airlines, not foreign carriers.
ICN has two places. For the AREX express train (Seoul Station), only available on KE, OZ and CZ.

For the second place (KCAT at COEX Mall), many more airline check-in facilities are available (then hop on a bus out to ICN).
Old May 23, 2016, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Check in at Paddington for the Heathrow Express stopped shortly after 7/7 for security reasons IIRC. Of course, many, many years previously, in the 60s, BOAC, Pan Am and various other airlines offered in-town check in, generally around Victoria, and then a bus to London Airport as it was then called. In the 80s, there was in-station check in at Victoria for select airlines using LGW.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can start a wiki and then anyone with IIRC 90 posts and 90 days on FT can help to maintain it.
Thanks,did not know I could to that myself,it's done now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.