Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Airmule: how on earth is this a real thing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airmule: how on earth is this a real thing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: SPG, HH, IHG, BA, DL
Originally Posted by rabilancia
Here's a blog article just posted yesterday:
https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/air...ervice-review/
Because of the article, I just signed up.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Originally Posted by 4sallypat
Because of the article, I just signed up.
Well? Have you tried it? If no response I'm assuming he is in a Chinese prison
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:24 am
Suspended

The only thing new I see in this is that it is a new idea to younger readers. You know, the world did exist before apps were invented.

Someone who already plans to travel to China (only country so far) can earn $300 by giving up their luggage allowance. The first question I would ask you is whether $300 is really worth bothering about? Personally, you would have a hard time getting me to cross the street for $300.

Many years ago, I got a call from a friend who worked in a large law office. He knew I had family in the UK and asked me if I would carry a package of paperwork to the UK for them. They needed it to get there overnight and delivered to an office in London. They did not want to rely on any commercially available service like FedEx, etc. The offer was my return airfare paid in Business Class with an open return for me to decide on.

So I got a free flight to visit family in the UK at a cost to me of a few hours in London before heading to where my family is. They paid for me to taxi from the airport to the office in London, taxi back to the airport and a connecting flgiht to Edinburgh.

Now for that kind of value, I would do it again but for $300? Not a chance. My price has already been established and it ain't negotiable. Maybe some younger travellers need $300 that badly but I don't and that seems to be the premise of this business. There are people who need $300 badly enough to go for it.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That's not remotely the same thing.

If a good friend who I happen to know works in some industry besides international drug smuggling calls and asks me to take some paperwork to a Western country I know well and visit often? Sure. If I'm already going, I'll probably do it for a nice bottle of wine. If I'm not already going but want to go, just buy the plane ticket.

Courier services from the past are a *little* closer to this concept, except the courier services were known to airports, security personnel, and customs officials. You had paperwork, you didn't touch the bags, and it was a routine and accepted service.

Airmule, coyly hauling random stuff for random people to a country with no due process? For very little compensation? I still think I'm gonna nope out of this one.

Remember, Glenn Frey says if you're cool for 20 hours, you should get 20 grand...
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and while i dont use any apps (and have cut down on ordering things online and for delivery) at least they do require a smartphone that is tracked
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: US Gold
It's like everything else online: it will work great while it's small and be rife with abuse once it reaches a certain size.

wg
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
and while i dont use any apps (and have cut down on ordering things online and for delivery) at least they do require a smartphone that is tracked
So at least when you're in a windowless room at PEK getting probed by a guy who is hopefully using rubber gloves, Airmule can let the recipient know you've been delayed. @:-)
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have witnessed one of these in action while at Costco near SFO replenishing supply before TPAC flight.

There was a team of shoppers wheeling purchases out to the far corner where a van was waiting, they remove all the unnecessary packaging and put the good into suitcases. The van was spotted at the international terminal departure where I was being dropped off by my Hertz driver.
Out of curiosity I hang around and looked.
Random people would come up to them, exchange information on their phones and is then given one of the suitcases.
These "couriers" were then spotted at the PVG flight check-in. They were mostly college student budget traveling types.

Someone is reselling goods on Taobao. Since US to China shipping is very expensive this cuts down the cost as these goods are then shipped from SH to other parts of China.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
I have witnessed one of these in action while at Costco near SFO replenishing supply before TPAC flight.

There was a team of shoppers wheeling purchases out to the far corner where a van was waiting, they remove all the unnecessary packaging and put the good into suitcases. The van was spotted at the international terminal departure where I was being dropped off by my Hertz driver.
Out of curiosity I hang around and looked.
Random people would come up to them, exchange information on their phones and is then given one of the suitcases.
These "couriers" were then spotted at the PVG flight check-in. They were mostly college student budget traveling types.

Someone is reselling goods on Taobao. Since US to China shipping is very expensive this cuts down the cost as these goods are then shipped from SH to other parts of China.
Could you tell from a distance whether any of the products were things that would be prohibited or limited in quantity/value by Chinese customs? I wonder if the couriers knew what was in the suitcases.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
So I bit and was a 'mule' for a flight to China a couple months ago. I'd like to offer my experience and answer any questions.

I was on a quick mileage run to Shanghai, and figured I'd list my trip on Airmule to subsidize the cost. A few days before my flight, I was 'matched' with one shipment out of the allowed two.

The online portal allowed me to see what I would be transporting, including photos. My shipment contained a vase (which looked fragile), as well as 5 small Supreme bags. I was asked to be added to a Wechat group to facilitate communication, and this included those I'd be meeting at SFO, PVG, and a few others overseeing the transaction.

On my departure from SFO, I was coordinating to meet with a driver who then handed off a suitcase containing the items listed on the packing list. I asked to inspect the contents, but the driver was incredibly impatient and seemed bothered by this. I verified the contents, although in hindsight I should have inspected things much more closely. I signed a document stating that I received the items and that Airmule takes responsibility. I have no doubt this document would not hold up legally, but it offered me some bit of ease knowing that Airmule was in fact documenting the entire process and their entire 'company' would be on the line if something went wrong. A security seal was applied to the suitcase and I checked in and flew normally.

At PVG I was not selected to put my bag through the scanner, but I doubt I would have had problems if it was since I was not carrying a large amount of grey-market products. Usually at Chinese airports everyone gets to scan their luggage at customs so I guess I was lucky. I coordinated on Wechat to find the courier holding an 'Airmule' sign outside of customs, and they took a photo of me with the suitcase, and processed my payment.

---

I get the demand for a service like this. Shipping to China last minute is often prohibitively expensive, and often bringing in goods via your person is much much cheaper than shipping and paying the inevitable customs fees. With that said, I do feel the service is legit.

However, I can't get over the fact that anyone, including myself, could hide a brick of coke in an item and claim that I need it shipped to China immediately. The company would then process the shipment normally and hand it off to a courier who's completely liable for what happens.

I personally wouldn't do it again, since the risk far outweighs the benefits, but I take some solace that everything is documented and appears to be legitimate. The fact we haven't heard any horror stories yet too also suggests this is primarily for skirting customs or shipping fees instead of transporting illegal goods.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I personally wouldn't do it again, since the risk
why did you do it? just curious.. as it seems like most who do it have never heard of the concept of risk (let alone vs reward)

even if china does not kill people for drugs, it would be extremely bad, and help from embassy / home varies
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm just lol'ing because that photo kind of looks like two little bricks of coke in a yellow wrapper.

Good to know the process completed successfully in your case.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
why did you do it? just curious.. as it seems like most who do it have never heard of the concept of risk (let alone vs reward)

even if china does not kill people for drugs, it would be extremely bad, and help from embassy / home varies
I went in with the mind that I would back out at any time if things seemed too sketchy. The amount of paperwork and documentation with the Airmule logo on them led me to believe that it must be at least somewhat legit, or else we'd have horror stories all over the place; I couldn't find any.

I also went in believing the process of inspecting what I would be carrying would be a lot more transparent. Having a packed suitcase delivered to me by an Uber driver who really doesn't want to wait while you unpack it and inspect each and every crevice was the most unsettling.

I think the market for mules though is not me, but undereducated and broke travelers.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

younger middle / upper class in first world are especially unaware of risk, whereas many third world are somewhat fatalistic

western news cares about who the victim is.. and outside of US, governments can tell news not to cover things
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by fassy
I don't think security, customs or the police will care if you claim (or even proof) it is not your package...
and how would you prove it? Anyone could slap an address label on with a fake name or invent a pseudo company name and say you're carrying it for them... Seems too shady to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.