Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anybody here living on two (and more) countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Subj? And 'living' means not just travel but paying staying considerable amount of time and pay income taxes in these countries. Please note, due to US tax system any American is required to pay income tax in US even when he/she lives abroad.

I am not talking about these cases - I mean cases when several month per year are spent in countries A/B/C...

Question is - what is most difficult (apart financial) with this lifestyle? What are hidden pitfalls?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My parents used to live May - December in the UK and Jan - Apr in the USA. They loved it but were careful to avoid becoming deemed resident in the USA. They did this for about 15 years and made good friends. The key was that their dates were regular and their friends on both sides of the Atlantic knew where they were when. I know many people who spend good chunks of time in their foreign second homes who fail to make real connections there because their visits are sporadic and irregular.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
Subj? And 'living' means not just travel but paying staying considerable amount of time and pay income taxes in these countries. Please note, due to US tax system any American is required to pay income tax in US even when he/she lives abroad.

I am not talking about these cases - I mean cases when several month per year are spent in countries A/B/C...

Question is - what is most difficult (apart financial) with this lifestyle? What are hidden pitfalls?
I have houses in California and Thailand. I spend about 6 months per year in each spot. I pay Thai income tax when I work in Thailand. US income tax is required on all income world wide.

Not sure what "pitfalls" you're concerned about. My wife has been hassled about her Green Card for being outside the US for long periods of time. Other than that we simply live our lives and there is no real problem created by living in 2 countries.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: DL,EK
I used to spend 6 months in the UAE and 6 months in the Czech Republic each year. This went on for 3 years. No real problems. We have friends in both places... and people to collect the mail in both places too. We paid income tax in the Czech Republic and USA but not of course in the UAE (no tax there)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Biggest pitfall is US taxes. It may not be as bad if tax laws are clear, but if you know anything about taxes you know tax laws are anything but clear. Tax laws for dual citizens living/working outside of the US is even less comprehensible.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Get a good accountant who understands international tax regimes, especially if you are a US Citizen
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A month or two with our at our place in SW Florida is pretty much as exciting as it gets now. With so much weekly travel, I'm happy to be at home when I can!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Canada and US....

...like lots of snowbirds....you just make sure you don't overstay the alloted time in the US then your only tax hit is property taxes and what you pay to get residency, drivers licenses etc.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Canada and the US. We pay taxes in both countries. We have Canadian (and Italian) citizenship.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I study in Switzerland, but go back to the US for Summer and Winter breaks. Because I don't have a job in Switzerland (against visa requirements) I haven't had to worry about US taxes.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Bangkok and Singapore, I spend an equal amount of time in each place, I fly up and down almost alternate weeks. It was disruptive at the start but I kinda got used to it.
The pros:
-the adrenaline of flying every week (SQ J) doesn't get old and I always enjoy the experience.

-the change of scene is welcome and I tend to get sick of a place if I spend too long in a place, I like that my lifestyle is 'broken'

-adapting to the differences and trying to stay on top of the local language - I always seem to forget some Thai when I'm in Singapore. I like the challenge of working in two environments, it keeps me mentally stimulated.

-exposure and meeting new people, enjoy developing multiple social circles.

The cons:
- for 6 months my social life went out the window in both places because I wasn't able to commit to any hang-outs or parties and I ended up disconnected. It made me feel like an alien in two cities rather than at home in two cities (socially) but this settled over time.

-homesickness, I grew up in Singapore, my life is more organised/established there - I still feel more comfortable and consider it my 'home' environment.

- my diet suffers because I don't stock up groceries at my place in Bangkok with the same care as I do in Singapore, time constraints.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
Bangkok and Singapore, I spend an equal amount of time in each place, I fly up and down almost alternate weeks. It was disruptive at the start but I kinda got used to it.
The pros:
-the adrenaline of flying every week (SQ J) doesn't get old and I always enjoy the experience.

-the change of scene is welcome and I tend to get sick of a place if I spend too long in a place, I like that my lifestyle is 'broken'

-adapting to the differences and trying to stay on top of the local language - I always seem to forget some Thai when I'm in Singapore. I like the challenge of working in two environments, it keeps me mentally stimulated.

-exposure and meeting new people, enjoy developing multiple social circles.

The cons:
- for 6 months my social life went out the window in both places because I wasn't able to commit to any hang-outs or parties and I ended up disconnected. It made me feel like an alien in two cities rather than at home in two cities (socially) but this settled over time.

-homesickness, I grew up in Singapore, my life is more organised/established there - I still feel more comfortable and consider it my 'home' environment.

- my diet suffers because I don't stock up groceries at my place in Bangkok with the same care as I do in Singapore, time constraints.
If you don't mind me asking, why move every week?

As for the OP's question, I'm Canadian and live in Hong Kong. I'm a tax resident here, I do not pay anything in Canada. Heck even in HK I pay practically nothing thanks to territorial taxation.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I did it for 4 years and loved it. Hardest part was not having a routine.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have done this off and on for much of my adult life between the US and Canada. This year has been very much "on" so far.

When it has been problematic it is either for financial or social reasons.

I have been stuck with many very expensive last-minute airfares over the years because someone was intent on being difficult and demanding my physical presence when it was completely unnecessary.

Socially a few women have been put off by it and had the idea I have a whole separate life, girlfriend and or a harem on the other side of the border.

I have occasionally had banking and credit issues but they're manageable if you haul your ... down to the bank branch and explain yourself.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Started two months ago. Family in the US and I am in Peru for work. Still midstream in establishing the second household and all that goes with it.

Still getting used to things, and my Spanish needs to improve. Now dealing with trying to create a new social network here in Lima - the new position has me based in Lima with extensive international travel globally, so that bit is challenging.

Fortunately I am not a US citizen so that eliminates the major fiscal issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.