Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Old Apr 28, 16, 9:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PHX & PPT
Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Posts: 832
Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Okay, I admit it: Fanny packs are dorky looking, but they work well for me when flying. I keep mine attached to my body throughout the flight, with several things I need within easy reach, and not taking up any under-seat or overhead bin space.

For many years, I have traveled with a carry-on backpack, small tote bag, and a fanny pack, and have never been told that I am impermissably taking THREE carry-on items onboard. I also previously have never been asked to remove a fanny pack from my body to combine it with other items or to "stow" it during take-off, landing, or in-flight.

Recently, however, instead of the backpack, I have started carrying on a small rollerbag + a small tote, and have now recently been told twice that my fanny pack must be removed or combined as a "third" item. Is this some recent rule change? I have always considered my fanny pack equivalent to a "pocket" in one's clothing... right?

What's up with this?
BarbiJKM is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 10:21 am
  #2  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,571
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
Okay, I admit it: Fanny packs are dorky looking...
Admitting it is the first step

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
Recently, however, instead of the backpack, I have started carrying on a small rollerbag + a small tote, and have now recently been told twice that my fanny pack must be removed or combined as a "third" item. Is this some recent rule change? I have always considered my fanny pack equivalent to a "pocket" in one's clothing... right?

What's up with this?
I think this is silly, and just a prickly agent (or two). I see how a purse is a 3rd bag, especially a large one, but a fanny pack is not the same as they are smaller and literally on ones person.
rickg523 likes this.
Madone59 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 10:22 am
  #3  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 10,017
By whom were you told? "Enforcers" are sometimes actual airline employees and sometimes contractors hired to patrol check-in and security lines.

Also, is your experience across multiple airlines or just one airline? (For instance, I frequent the AA forum, and I read about a period where the AA really seemed to be making a push to enforce carryon bag sizes at several stations.)
JY1024 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 10:50 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PHX & PPT
Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
By whom were you told? "Enforcers" are sometimes actual airline employees and sometimes contractors hired to patrol check-in and security lines.

Also, is your experience across multiple airlines or just one airline? (For instance, I frequent the AA forum, and I read about a period where the AA really seemed to be making a push to enforce carryon bag sizes at several stations.)
So far, my experience has been only with Delta: one gate agent and one flight attendant, two different flights within the last 2 weeks. (TSA has never cared, as long as I take it off and place it on the belt.)

Last edited by BarbiJKM; Apr 28, 16 at 11:43 am
BarbiJKM is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 10:52 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PHX & PPT
Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Posts: 832
Cool

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Admitting it is the first step
LOL, after a certain age, comfort and convenience start to outweigh concerns about appearance and what other people think! (I am still as cool as I think I am!)
BarbiJKM is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 10:54 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
So far, my experience has been only with Delta: one gate and one flight attendant, two different flights within the last 2 weeks. (TSA has never cared, as long as I take it off an place it on the belt.)
Nothing to do with TSA, and I believe the rules are pretty consistent (even if not consistently enforced) for all major airlines: one carry-on, one personal item.

An online travel writer once posted about being told to combine/toss items because he showed up with a rollaboard, briefcase and a bag of candy. Yes, he had to stow the candy.

Although it rarely gets enforced, I believe the airline could actually get a nasty fine if an FAA inspector witnessed pax being allowed to board with more than the strict two-item limit.
chollie is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 10:55 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,832
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
LOL, after a certain age, comfort and convenience start to outweigh concerns about appearance and what other people think! :-)
Fyi,this side of the pond they're called bum bags.
To confuse things even more a fanny is a vagina so if you're ever over here talking about a fanny pack you may get some strange looks.
Clint Bint is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 11:04 am
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 47,200
Yes, a fanny pack is a "personal item." That is clear from DL's rules. It counts because it is not specifically listed as an exception item (umbrella, duty free, crutches). So, if a DL employee wants to count it, it counts.

When these sorts of things happen on multiple occasions at different stations from different types of employee, it is usually because management has sent out a reminder. In this case that fanny packs count.

Why? Just like other issues, for every person like you who may have an innocuous item which does not burden anybody, there is some guy with a steamer trunk strapped to his waist which he calls a "fanny pack", promptly unstraps when he boards and shoves in the OH, thus using three pieces of carry-on. So, because boarding is not about having a legal debate, the rule gets enforced and you bear the brunt of it, at least for a while.

Same thing happened with people who boarded with a 21" laptop under their arm. They were told to stick it back in the bag for boarding.

The Solution: Take the fanny pack off. Stick it in one of your carryons and then pull it out once you have boarded. Or leave it where it is until you are off the aircraft at your destination. If you can't fit the thing in one of your two pieces, you have too much and need to check.
nancypants likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 11:09 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Originally Posted by Clint Bint View Post
Fyi,this side of the pond they're called bum bags.
To confuse things even more a fanny is a vagina so if you're ever over here talking about a fanny pack you may get some strange looks.


I hadn't heard that one before!

Isn't 'Fanny' also a woman's nickname, short for 'Frances'? As in "Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt"?
chollie is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 11:41 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PHX & PPT
Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
...

The Solution: Take the fanny pack off. Stick it in one of your carryons and then pull it out once you have boarded. Or leave it where it is until you are off the aircraft at your destination. If you can't fit the thing in one of your two pieces, you have too much and need to check.
You see, I don't understand this logic. Having to stick it in a carry-on and then pull it out after boarding only slows down boarding while I rearrange all my gear before stowing and seating. It's like telling me I can't hold my Kindle and water bottle in my hand while boarding, but must remove those items from carry-on once I am seated... It's still the same STUFF, same weight, taking up the same space.

I understand that some pax may abuse the 2-item rule, but sheesh -- can't GAs and FAs use common sense when seeing things with their own eyes?
BarbiJKM is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 11:43 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: PHX & PPT
Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by Clint Bint View Post
Fyi,this side of the pond they're called bum bags.
To confuse things even more a fanny is a vagina so if you're ever over here talking about a fanny pack you may get some strange looks.
How funny! Thanks for the heads-up.
BarbiJKM is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 11:49 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 27,243
More than anything else it's a serious crime against fashion.
nancypants likes this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 11:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
You see, I don't understand this logic. Having to stick it in a carry-on and then pull it out after boarding only slows down boarding while I rearrange all my gear before stowing and seating. It's like telling me I can't hold my Kindle and water bottle in my hand while boarding, but must remove those items from carry-on once I am seated... It's still the same STUFF, same weight, taking up the same space.

I understand that some pax may abuse the 2-item rule, but sheesh -- can't GAs and FAs use common sense when seeing things with their own eyes?
Logic plays no part of this.
bitburgr is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 12:30 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 338
Smile

Switch from a fanny pack to a vest! Nobody needs to remove a vest, right?



Seriously, though, I do not get the negative stigma associated with fanny packs. I wear one too, when I deem convenient, and to hell with what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by TObject; Apr 28, 16 at 12:42 pm
TObject is offline  
Old Apr 28, 16, 12:38 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,693
I once had a moronic GA in HNL try to call my sandwich in a small bag a third carryon. I won the argument.

RE: fanny packs. Just wear a coat which covers it.
IHBvet93 likes this.
Doc Savage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: