Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is a Fanny Pack a "Carry-On" Item?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
Recently, however, instead of the backpack, I have started carrying on a small rollerbag + a small tote, and have now recently been told twice that my fanny pack must be removed or combined as a "third" item. Is this some recent rule change? I have always considered my fanny pack equivalent to a "pocket" in one's clothing... right?

What's up with this?
I have seen similar enforcement with Southwest when it was obvious at least one passenger was going to be told to gate check a bag. So the gate agent enforced the 1 bag and 1 personal item for all passengers.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fanny pack is a "personal item". Same as women's purses and other smallish items. Seems fairly easy to stuff it into one of your two larger items prior to boarding.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
The fanny pack is a "personal item". Same as women's purses and other smallish items. Seems fairly easy to stuff it into one of your two larger items prior to boarding.
They don't seem to care. It's on my body, not taking up storage space.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fanny pack worn under sweater or jacket isn’t a problem, but it’s a problem when seen in plain sight by the gate agents? Weird. If an item can be worn during taxi, take-off and landing, then it shouldn’t be a problem any more than a coat.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Fanny pack worn under sweater or jacket isn’t a problem, but it’s a problem when seen in plain sight by the gate agents?
"Out of sight, out of mind". Apparently.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
And to remove it once inside the plane. Which makes the whole charade a weird exercise in meaningless bureaucratic posturing. Apparently the third bag is only a problem on the jetway.
Okay, then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.