Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much cash do you carry in different countries?

How much cash do you carry in different countries?

Old Apr 25, 16, 11:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
It depends. But I carry enough for a Taxi, food and hotel stay for one night. it sounds like a lot but it is not. If my cards do not work or are stolen for some reason I need to be able to function for one day so that I can get everything straighten out. Otherwise I use credit cards with a chip.

Last edited by jww947; Apr 25, 16 at 11:58 am Reason: adding to summary
Old Apr 25, 16, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I generally carry $100-$300 in cash, depending on the destination. Enough to last me a few days if an ATM eats my debit card.

Though, to date, I have never actually needed to dip into my cash stash while traveling.
Old Apr 25, 16, 3:21 pm

Depends on the destination. I rely on ATMs when possible. But I carried US$1700 in cash around my first trip to South America in 2000, because there weren't many ATMs then.

I almost ran out of cash a couple of times in 2012 and 2013. On a 6-week trip including Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and China, I took around US$600 (to be supplemented by ATM withdrawals). You get much better rates changing USD on the street in Uzbekistan, and I could not get any ATM in Kyrgyzstan to take my MasterCard. I spent a little more than I expected to and it was quite a relief when that first ATM in China spat out money.

And I almost ran out of money in Kurdish Iraq, where things cost a little more than I expected, I stayed a bit longer than I planned, and there were no USA-card-compatible ATMs. I had a few hundred USD for 5 weeks in Turkey, Georgia, and Kurdish Iraq, and it's the first trip where I actively cut back on incidentals in order not to run out.

If I'm embarking on a month-long trip, I still like to have about $400 with me, just in case something happens with my (now Schwab Visa) ATM card.

Seth
Old Apr 25, 16, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I carry enough to get me through a day. I remember one "glorious" day in Italy where no ATM would give me money. All was fine the next, but I was glad I had my stash.
Old May 8, 16, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I usually carry $100 in the local currency on my person per day. I've found that a lot of off the beaten path attractions will only take cash, as well as restaurants, food stalls etc. Plus, when I was in Zurich I couldn't use a credit card to buy tickets from a transit machine as it wanted a PIN. I like to have cash for all those eventualities.

Search this Thread