Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much cash do you carry in different countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much cash do you carry in different countries?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by invisible
So we agree on 90% figure. Thanks.
No we don't. If you reread my post you'll see that as well.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Usually as little as possible. Because State Farm reimburses all ATM fees domestic and foreign, I just take money out as needed.
State Farm has a bank?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The problem is getting rid of the cash and, particularly, the shrapnel at the end of the trip.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Depends: out and about in the US - seldom more than $50.

UK: £40-60 - usually to cover the pub bill, as running a credit card repeatedly is annoying for the barman and myself.

NZ/AU: $100, helpful on tour in remote when only eftpos/cash is fairly common.

Hong Kong: $2000. I never know when I'll "need" something or decide on a banquet.

Thailand: Depends on my itinerary, but unless I am doing a more cash only activity (intense shopping, long car ride), I found B3000 overkill most days. I found my main concern having a couple B100 notes on hand rather than how many thousands.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Subj. I personally try to carry as minimum as necessary and crime is not the major factor here - I would feel uncomfortable walking with $500 in my pocket in even in Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore.
I try to carry only an appropriate amount for my trip. My main reason is the hassle/expense of changing leftover currency.

What's appropriate varies from trip to trip. Mostly in business/tourist centers? Easy to rely on credit card acceptance, so I'll withdraw $100US equivalent to pay for transit, small meals, and incidentals where it's simply easier to use cash. Even then that's more than I've almost ever needed. Out in smaller cities and towns? I'll carry double as credit card machines and suitable ATMs are less common. Planning to shop a lot at bazaars and street markets? I may carry significantly more cash just because cash is king when bargaining.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I try not to carry a lot of cash in the USA because of the high crime rates.

But what do you mean by carry? As in how much do I carry between the airport and the hotel, or how much do I carry around, or how much do I carry around heading out to a bar? Because those figures are very different.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:56 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The problem is getting rid of the cash
What I've gotten in the habit of doing when I have cash leftover, is putting the cash on my hotel bill and they paying the balance with the credit card. Saves those stupid exchange fees and frees my wallet.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by gwade
What I've gotten in the habit of doing when I have cash leftover, is putting the cash on my hotel bill and they paying the balance with the credit card. Saves those stupid exchange fees and frees my wallet.
Interesting. Thanks for a tip!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I travel a lot in countries with no ATMs.

In Iran I carried about $6,000, Yemen $4,000, Sudan $4,000, D.R. Congo $3,000 (don't really remember) and Somaliland $2,000.

Transnistria (only there for one day) about $300.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:14 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gwade
That's brilliant! @:-) For at least 50% of my travel, I'm basically just checking out of a hotel and heading straight to the airport to leave the country. As long as I set aside enough to get me to the airport, I can just use the rest to pay down my hotel bill. ^
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I try not to carry a lot of cash in the USA because of the high crime rates.
Where in the US are you going? Outside of gang areas the crime rate is not particularly high in the US.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Is Khao Lak a forest with hippies for you? I was there last month. There are close to 50 restaurants/places and about 5 take credit cards. All of them are at 5 star resorts where dinner will cost 10x the price on a street restaurant.
If I was thinking of a place as an example where I couldn't rely on cards, Khao Lak would not be one of them.

Yes, if you want to go trekking in the highlands or sailing from village to village, a good cash store is required, but in the tourist areas, ATM's are easily accessible.

If going to a business centre I tend to have about £200 worth of local currency. If going off the beaten track I may double that and have a couple of hundred dollars and or a couple of hundred euros, which may come in handy.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
At a bare minimum, I like to have US$100 equivalent in local currently. I like knowing that I can buy lunch, take a cab, buy a drink, or what not without worrying about whether or not the merchant takes credit cards. Like others have suggested, on my last day in country, I pay down the hotel bill with all remaining local currency and change, except for maybe US$20 equivalent and what I need to get to the airport.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Where in the US are you going? Outside of gang areas the crime rate is not particularly high in the US.
Sure it is.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...e/Total-crimes

And since we are talking about carrying cash
18th highest robbery rate (per 100k) in the world:
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...rime/Robberies
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Outside of known large needs, $200USD equivalent is typically what I also carry. I figure there will be at least a few items to pay for in cash, and I can spend the rest at the airport on the way home on gifts.

It also depends on the duration of the trip and access to ATMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.