Wiki Posts
Search

Iron Maiden 747 "Ed Force One"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Iron Maiden 747 "Ed Force One"

Did not know where to post this but if anyone want to see this thing it was parked at some ramp on the way in to DEN this morning. Sadly I did not get a picture because I could not believe my eyes when I saw it and it was too late by the time I came to. Iron Maiden has their own 747???? Yep!

http://ironmaiden.com/ed-force-one
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yup.

Looks like they played in Denver tonight (4/13).
http://ironmaiden.com/tours/the-book...ld-tour---2016

Looks like it'll be at LAX this weekend.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I saw it parked at SeaTac on Monday. The lead singer of Iron Maiden flies it. No kidding.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Didn't it get into an accident recently?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Didn't it get into an accident recently?
Yup, on the ground @SCL.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by theshaun
Did not know where to post this but if anyone want to see this thing it was parked at some ramp on the way in to DEN this morning. Sadly I did not get a picture because I could not believe my eyes when I saw it and it was too late by the time I came to. Iron Maiden has their own 747???? Yep!"

http://ironmaiden.com/ed-force-one
This old dudes are still alive?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
It's a former Air France 744. Last time I saw Ed Force One was 2008 when it was a 757. The lead singer is indeed a pilot, and I remember reading somewhere that the band had determined that it would cost less to lease the aircraft and fly it themselves for their world tours than to charter all the flights. Must be nice!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Looks like the "severely damaged" plane was repaired in less than two weeks.

Iron Maiden’s Ed Force One Fully Repaired With Two New Engines

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 14, 2016 at 8:24 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
It's a former Air France 744. Last time I saw Ed Force One was 2008 when it was a 757. The lead singer is indeed a pilot, and I remember reading somewhere that the band had determined that it would cost less to lease the aircraft and fly it themselves for their world tours than to charter all the flights. Must be nice!
I think it is more the fun and love for flying, saw an interview with Bruce Dickinson and he was excited like a little boy flying the 747 after Iron Maiden decided the 757 was to small to hold all their equipment for this tour.

He was commercial pilot for about 20 years... basically all his life and Iron Maiden was more the hobby project
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I saw Ed in Chicago last week - looking good ^
Old Apr 15, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by fassy
He was commercial pilot for about 20 years... basically all his life and Iron Maiden was more the hobby project
Not quite. While Bruce has always been into flying, he got his "break" into the commercial world much later in life, well after Iron Maiden made its name. He was covering the right seat for a friend's job interview and the sim instructor was impressed enough with his skills to also offer him a position as a FO (at least that's how the sim instructor tells the story!). He started off on the 737, then moved to the 757 and got his command there and now is also rated on the 747. I have worked extensively with him during his line flying days and he's one of the most knowledgeable 757 pilots + instructors I've known. A true gentleman and absolutely passionate about aviation.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What airline?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
He's had a pilot's license since 1991. He was a pilot for British World Airlines, which went out of business in 2001, and Astraeus, which went out of business in 2011. He was also Marketing Director at Astraeus.

In 2012 he launched Cardiff Aviation, an aircraft maintenance company, and is currently working on starting his own airline - VVB Airline.

Pilot Profile: Captain Bruce Dickinson

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This old dudes are still alive?
Still alive, if you consider 57 to be old.

An interesting guy, he also hosted a show on BBC Radio, has hosted TV shows, has authored/published novels, written film scripts, launched a beer with Robinson Brewery, and was an international fencing champion when he was younger. All after serving in the Army and while leading a legendary heavy metal band.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 15, 2016 at 9:52 am
Old Apr 15, 2016, 2:44 pm
Suspended

I dug into the plane. Sadly, i can't find any pictures or stories of what's on the interior. lots of people doing walkarounds, but no insider stuff. It's too bad. I was really interested.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ou81two
I dug into the plane. Sadly, i can't find any pictures or stories of what's on the interior. lots of people doing walkarounds, but no insider stuff. It's too bad. I was really interested.
Check YT for a documentary called "Iron Maiden: Behind the Beast." It shows the process that went into determining to use the 757 for their 2008 tour, and also shows how they modified it to suit their purposes. Very interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.