First attack of gout at 35,000 feet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere

I have flat feet and a bit of a bunion. When I walk a lot my feet hurt (particularly my right foot) and I will limp a little. This has been going on for years.

Last week I took my son and a friend of his to Europe for a week. By the end of the week my right foot was hurting and I was doing my usual limp. However, my foot hurt only while I was walking, and it was no big deal.

On the 10-hour flight home, my "bunion" started hurting, and I do mean hurt. I didn't know my foot had a nerve that was capable of hurting that much. The bunion area swelled up, but so did much of my whole foot. I managed to hop off the plane, with no shoe, and was offered a wheelchair, which I accepted. The guy wheeled me all the way to the Chicago airport Hilton, where I paid a fortune for two rooms. I did not care.

I posted a photo of my "bunion" on Facebook and within 10 minutes a doctor friend of mine said "that looks like gout." Several other people agreed, as did my doctor. I'm currently on steroids, anti-inflammatories, and a fairly strong pain pill for night. It really hurt.

Is it common for a flight to trigger a gout attack? My wife's feet tend to swell during flights, but I've never had that problem; however, my "gout" foot is still swollen. I can walk on it a little bit, but I wouldn't dare try to put a shoe on it, and this is two days later.

I drank more beer in Europe than I usually do, and ate more meat, too (I'm usually not much of a meat eater). Also, I usually drink six to eight cans of seltzer water every day, which keeps me hydrated and presumably flushes my system. I drank very little water in Europe, as it's just hard to get water in Europe.

Any thoughts of how to prevent another attack, particularly one while in the air. I've already said it hurt, but it like really hurt, as in as bad as anything has ever hurt, with no stopping.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:33 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Don't you have to be on anti-gout medicine pretty much forever once you've had the disease?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Pretty sure it's this:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I drank more beer in Europe than I usually do, and ate more meat, too (I'm usually not much of a meat eater). Also, I usually drink six to eight cans of seltzer water every day, which keeps me hydrated and presumably flushes my system. I drank very little water in Europe, as it's just hard to get water in Europe.
Not the flight as such. For flights, no booze, plenty of water, no other-gout-inducing food or drink. Ibuprofen helps; doctors can prescribe other meds.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Be very careful with gout. You could kill your kidneys. The crystals make your toe hurt but, worse yet, they damage your kidneys.

Some people with mild gout become vegetarians. Also no beer, no oatmeal. They are trying to save their kidneys. Then take medicine if the gout is worse than the diet can help.

Good luck!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
geez that sounds awful! hope you feel better!!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Be careful...I am a vegetarian and have experienced gout.....

Gout used to be called a Royal Disease simply because it was caused by very rich foods and only Royalty could afford such diets !

Proteins and fats etc of some kinds are responsible for gout. Amount of Uric acid shoots up in your blood and crystallizes and pokes "thru" the skin.

Not a doctor here but been there and know a couple of chronic sufferer.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Having suffered w/ it once when traveling, my Dr. wrote a Rx for me and told me to keep the pills in my suitcase. Thankfully, I haven't had to crack into it...yet.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, VS Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Am I the only one who clicked on the title of this post expecting to read about someone getting their foot walloped by another passenger?�� I clicked the link entitled: 'This Mid-Flight Attack On My Foot Came Out Of Nowhere' ... lots of scenarios played out in my mind but not one of them concerning gout.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I drank very little water in Europe, as it's just hard to get water in Europe.
LOL. Wut?

What part of Europe were you in that you couldn't find water easily? It's not the Sahara.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by firecracker725
LOL. Wut?

What part of Europe were you in that you couldn't find water easily? It's not the Sahara.
I just find it harder to stay hydrated in Europe. I know they have water, and I drink it, just not as much.

As for the gout, I'm taking a medication which may have greatly contributed to the problem. I don't really need to take it, and so I'm going to phase it out. Hopefully that will solve any future problem.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold
Eat cherries. It will clear the gout.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:28 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by firecracker725
LOL. Wut?

In most of Western Europe, bottled water (at very reasonable prices) is consumed at a higher rate than in the USA (since tap water is not as easy to find).
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
What's this about a goat attack on an airplane? I'll bet it was one of those fake service animals. This is really getting out of hand. What if other passengers were allergic to goats? Or to chevre?

...Oh....never mind.

RIP Emily Litella.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
What's this about a goat attack on an airplane? I'll bet it was one of those fake service animals. This is really getting out of hand. What if other passengers were allergic to goats? Or to chevre?

...Oh....never mind.

RIP Emily Litella.
Double LOL!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:37 am

Beer, bad for gout

Beer is very bad for gout. Coffee surprisingly good. See Mayo Clinic website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.