Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Corporate travel, Business class,

Old Mar 20, 16, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Hi,

In our company we can fly business class but all tickets has to go through our in house travel agent and she gets the tickets from one travel agency we use, it takes a bit longer the process but they told me they had to do it like that because then they get a better price. So I was wondering how other business do it?
Old Mar 20, 16, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Joe1978 View Post
Hi,

In our company we can fly business class but all tickets has to go through our in house travel agent and she gets the tickets from one travel agency we use, it takes a bit longer the process but they told me they had to do it like that because then they get a better price. So I was wondering how other business do it?
We're not allowed to fly business class. Our senior leadership team has access to our corporate jets, but that's about it.
Old Mar 20, 16, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
We're not allowed to fly business class. Our senior leadership team has access to our corporate jets, but that's about it.
I'm wondering if by other companies it also has to go through the booking, one person or you can just book were you want even economy class and just submit your receipt?
Old Mar 20, 16, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I imagine most large companies use Concur or Egencia or the like. 99% of tasks can be done through their websites but agents are available for that 1% of situations that go pear-shaped.
Old Mar 20, 16, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Hi,

I worked for a Fortune Top Ten company for about 25 years. That's how they did it at first. After a while they contracted out to Carlson-Wagonlit instead of in house. All domestic US travel was coach. All international travel was business class. Yes, they get a better price that way.
Old Mar 20, 16, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks,

In the beginning we used some service like Concur but we stopped because this agency showed us that when you use a program like concur you can never get as good a price because it's automatic but when you use a agency and you give them 12hr they can look around and get the best deal.
Old Mar 20, 16, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the beginning we used some service like Concur but we stopped because this agency showed us that when you use a program like concur you can never get as good a price because it's automatic but when you use a agency and you give them 12hr they can look around and get the best deal.
They might be giving you unpublished bulk or consolidator fares rather than just having a corporate contract with an airline.

Let's hope that your company has vetted the outside travel agent who writes the tickets so that it's not really a mileage broker. I'm a little bit suspicious about the twelve hour delay.
Old Mar 20, 16, 12:33 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I suspect that a number of the larger corporations have contracts with the airlines for special pricing. Airlines have entire corporate sales departments for that. An independent agent may be able to secure good deals but I doubt they regularly beat what the corporate contracts provide. I have no idea how much business a company must contract for to get the best prices but am pretty sure the big ones get the best prices by far.
Old Mar 20, 16, 12:34 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
... I'm a little bit suspicious about the twelve hour delay.
+1.
Old Mar 20, 16, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I'm wondering if by other companies it also has to go through the booking, one person or you can just book were you want even economy class and just submit your receipt?
I go on Concur and AMEX business travel issues me the ticket. It is against policy to go directly to the airline.
Old Mar 20, 16, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
I suspect that a number of the larger corporations have contracts with the airlines for special pricing. Airlines have entire corporate sales departments for that. An independent agent may be able to secure good deals but I doubt they regularly beat what the corporate contracts provide. I have no idea how much business a company must contract for to get the best prices but am pretty sure the big ones get the best prices by far.
We get $ back at the end of the year, from what I understand. All of our receipts have the name of our corporation name on it.

[and where are our manners? Welcome to FT]
Old Mar 20, 16, 1:28 pm

Programs: *G
we have a contracted agent that provides an online booking engine.
the results and prices are pretty much identical to what you'd find on public sites,
except they take a (hidden) commission with every booking. (good on them!)

they have a phone line, where they take an additional explicit fee. many people use these, because they dont care at all the booking choices. i like using the online tool, for more visibility and control.

our policy is that EVERY flight booking should go through them. so we can negotiate corporate discounts based on volume. except ive never seen ever advantageous pricing with them (or previous vendors).

hotels and rental cars are available, and are encouraged through that portal, but not mandatory
Old Mar 20, 16, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
We have an in-house travel agency. Can be used for business and personal travel.
Old Mar 20, 16, 2:16 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
At my old company we had an in house travel agent that had to book all of our travel and arrange for visa and stuff. She loved sending us to Saudi Arabia because we had to sign a paper that stated a bunch of offenses that if we committed we could be executed by beheading. I didn't appreciate how good of deals we would get now that I have to buy tickets without discounts. We could get full fare J from the USA to India for less than $5000.
Old Mar 20, 16, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM)
There are two separate issues here that deserve separate discussions:

1. The class of travel an employer pays for or should pay for. FT has a bazillion threads on this already. I have my opinions, which have been posted on FT more than once; I don't want to belabor them here.

2. How corporations book travel. The large corporation I once worked for let us book our own; it didn't have a corporate travel department or agency. I suspect it lost a lot of money that way. Then, when I headed my own company, IBM was one of our clients. We were allowed to use their corporate travel program even when we weren't traveling on their behalf. We'd call their agency, they'd book any tickets we asked for and charge the traveler's credit card. The cost went on that employee's expense report, where any review took place. Then IBM changed its policy, but we saved a lot of money while it lasted. We were too small to get much of a price break on our own, but we were in the airline small business programs like AA's BusinessExtrAA. I don't recall getting much benefit from them.

Search this Thread