Reload this Page >

Corporate travel, Business class,

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:58 pm

Carlson-Wagonlit for us. Part of it is the discount or % back at the end of the year.
2nd reason is tracking where their people are. At least that's they story they tell us.

They changed the system around this recently though and makes it easier to pick change fare classes, which is nice.
I've skirted they system for car rentals though since I've had some issues with the built in reservations.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:37 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Joe1978
Hi,

In our company we can fly business class but all tickets has to go through our in house travel agent and she gets the tickets from one travel agency we use, it takes a bit longer the process but they told me they had to do it like that because then they get a better price. So I was wondering how other business do it?
Just out of curiosity what industry are you in? Most of us are limited to economy unless it's 8+ hours or another metric.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I managed the Corporate Travel Programs at two different Investment firms. We primarily used business class international and had some first class domestic. We used the preferred travel agents to source tickets as we used a combination of ticket types and I would often look at a leisure package to save money to London. We had corporate airline programs and a route deals in place. Most of our travels were not easy point to point return but a mix of destinations and airlines so best to have an agent put it together.

As for the 12hr turnaround that seems like a ticket broker or consolidator and higher commissions opportunity for agent/agency. I had to approve any situations like this as they were not normal
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb

For us it's Axiom by American Express.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I suspect that a number of the larger corporations have contracts with the airlines for special pricing.
When I worked for a Big 4 firm, all of our corporate discounts were automatically accessible through Concur. The discounts for domestic trips were usually 10-15% off the best available economy fare (I know because I often searched the identical itinerary on United.com) so people were known to use the corporate portal for personal trips in addition to business trips and just charge it to a personal CC.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:01 pm

Ditto - Axiom by American Express here as well
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Joe1978
So I was wondering how other business do it?
My previous company (European Bank) - Directors fly Business, everyone else flies cattle class - in 2014 I think I flew 4 SIN-JNB 11-hour red-eyes in coach

Current company (also European Bank) - Economy/Business based on flight duration threshold, can't remember exact but it's somewhere around 5-6 hours.

In both cases, booking is done always by the bank's official travel agent (carlson wagonlit), not allowed at all to purchase your own ticket. The guiding principal is "cheapest fare" (among 'approved' airlines) although there is some leeway to go for more expensive tickets if it's justifiable (e.g., a direct flight vs a long-transit one).
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
In my current company we have Concur.

I mean - the company owns them.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Years ago, I worked for a company that bought a fair amount of business travel, particularly for those days. We were pretty well forced to use BA only where it was available. We would get invoices for each item of travel, which would go against our budgets, or which would be used for recharge to clients. It always struck me that the fares we got were not particularly attractive. I then discovered that there was an annual lump sum rebate to the company depending upon volumes achieved. Needless to say, our clients who actually paid for some of this travel were never given their pro-rata share of the refund.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I then discovered that there was an annual lump sum rebate to the company depending upon volumes achieved. Needless to say, our clients who actually paid for some of this travel were never given their pro-rata share of the refund.
Genius. In the highly unlikely event I start a business and it grows large enough for my staff to fly around regularly this is totally what I'm going to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.