Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Credit Card used to pay for flight later canceled

Old Mar 16, 16, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All, Hilton Honors

Airlines request you to carry the credit card which was used to make the booking, which must be shown at the time of check-in as proof of transaction. If not, you will be denied boarding.
So what happens when the credit card used has been canceled and another card (with different numbers) has replaced it?
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:57 am

If you do nothing, then you've already answered your own question.

If you contact them in advance, most airlines have workarounds.
Old Mar 16, 16, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It can lead to a big headache. Or it can be nothing. Sometimes the airline doesn't check and sometimes they do. This is rather common with Asian carriers, LCC & other airlines operating in higher fraud areas.

I purchased a ticket for a friend to go from SIN-LAX and to get around it I went to the local SQ office and had then note they have verified me as the card holder and had presented the card. This may or may not be a way to avoid the problem as it will depend on the airline.

If you card number has changed but you still have that physical card you can bring that with you along with the new card.

What airline & route are you inquiring about?
Old Mar 16, 16, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, Former UA 1K
If you still have the card then take it and I wouldn't say anything. They'll either look at it to verify it's the same or I've also seen Sri Lankan scan it through their reader on the desk and the PC verifies it. The check in agent in that case couldn't even see if I used Amex or Visa, so had to try a couple of cards before I got it right. Either way as long as you have the card you'll be fine.

If you've lost the card then you need to contact the airline as soon as possible.
Old Mar 16, 16, 7:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Have to admit, after many flights on EU and Asian carriers, I have never once been asked to show my card.
I always have it anyway though just incase.
Old Mar 16, 16, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
In millions of miles all around the world, I don't recall ever having to show a credit card anywhere.
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:00 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
In millions of miles all around the world, I don't recall ever having to show a credit card anywhere.
Originally Posted by chris19992 View Post
Have to admit, after many flights on EU and Asian carriers, I have never once been asked to show my card.
Next time try to book flight on Jetstar from Singapore to Philippines. They also check if card is issued on the name of person who holds the ticket.

P.S. Philippines is the major supplyer of maids for Singapore, Hong Kong and other countries in the region. So local budget airlines have this policy after several cases when maids stole jewelry and/or other stuff from their employers and left the country on flights bought with the stolen credit cards.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 16, 16 at 12:05 pm
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I've been mistaken for many things, but never a Filipino maid!
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had this happen with DB, where they do actually ask for the card used for the purchase. My card had been compromised and replaced, but the advise was to carry the old cancelled card to show them and it worked like a charm.

Not sure what airlines do, I've never actually been asked to show my cc.

Last edited by milepig; Mar 16, 16 at 1:57 pm
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hasn't BD been dead for ~6 years?
Old Mar 16, 16, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
BD still operates some flights for LH but is a subsidiary not a full airline itself
Originally Posted by moondog View Post

Not sure if you should be insulted by that or just that you haven't yet really mastered the art of disguise.

Old Mar 16, 16, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LukeO9 View Post
Airlines request you to carry the credit card which was used to make the booking, which must be shown at the time of check-in as proof of transaction. If not, you will be denied boarding.
So what happens when the credit card used has been canceled and another card (with different numbers) has replaced it?
Carry the canceled card with you.

Otherwise contact the airline.

BTW the only time I, or any of my family, has been asked to show the CC that paid for the ticket was when the name on the ticket was not the same as the name on the CC. When I buy a ticket for my wife and use my CC I make sure to remind her to carry my CC with her because they do ask. They never ask when she uses her own CC or when I fly with a ticket I bought with my CC.
Old Mar 16, 16, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Wear a dress next time.
Old Mar 16, 16, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
BD still operates some flights for LH but is a subsidiary not a full airline itself

Not sure if you should be insulted by that or just that you haven't yet really mastered the art of disguise.
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Oops. I meant DB as in German Rail.
Old Mar 16, 16, 3:20 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I've flown thousands of miles around the world, with at least 10 airlines, and only once been asked to show a credit card. That was for a flight within Europe, with one of the cut-price airlines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: