Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aviation-Themed Gifts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Aviation-Themed Gifts

Apologies if this post comes across in at all the wrong way, not my intention, I'm simply looking for some advice as I'm in a bit of a pickle...

Getting married very soon, and I've bought wife-to-be a nice enough jewellery-based gift from me. I believe this is the convention. The problem is, she now wants to get me something in return, and there's nothing I can think of... At all... I don't need a Watch or cufflinks... She is very insistent that I must have something of roughly equal value, despite my extensive protestations.

I wouldn't want an 'experience' or something that just got wasted, so something for the home, a piece of furniture, painting etc that means something to me and the things I like would be ideal. It's dawned on me that an aviation-based gift would be perfect. It can take pride of place in the house and when I one day build my inevitable man cave it can live in there for all eternity and remind us of the day whenever we look at it.

I've had a look, and most things along these lines consist of coffee tables made from a piece of engine or wheel that go for crazy money. Is there anything that anyone can suggest that would make a nice long-term gift for the home along the right theme in the £500-750 range? I'm very open to suggestions.

Again, apologies for the slightly weird request, and thanks for any advice. If someone could kindly swipe me one of the Concorde seats from the CCR that would be ideal.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
You do realize that you need to pick something that reminds you of her and that you can wear on your person so she is 'with you in thought' etc.

Unless she also picked her gift, you should leave the selection up to her. I find the insistence on reciprocity a bit weird, but to each their own.

A nice Concorde related item can be found, no doubt.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Sorry, should have clarified that, we did pick hers together. Nothing would remind me more of my beautiful wife than a polished piece of engine cowling...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
I would have a look at the Boeing store , they sell some very nice aircraft memorbilia
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Mrs Bluemoon would say that you may not need a watch or cufflinks, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't have another watch.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:35 am

Depends on how much you like planes but why not go for your own mini fleet of BA aircraft, you could even get the ones you're planning to fly to your honeymoon on if you fancy?
http://www.eztoys.com/1-100-british-airways-a380-w-stand-and-gears-skymarks-skr8504-1-100-scale.html
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:18 am

US-based Restoration Hardware do some very nice aviation-inspired pieces in their Blackhawk collection.

If it weren't for the fact that we already have a perfectly good bar cart, I'd pick up a repurposed galley cart from AL.CARTS or Skycart Designs to serve as a home bar.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:22 am

Though you're probably looking to spend more, this thread may help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-stocking.html

This 1:50 (=mahusive) model of Concorde just about fits the budget.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/152009068491?

Personally, I'd get 2-4 really top notch B&W prints of historic aviation photos, selected to reflect what interests you, get them framed and plonk them in the bog at home.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:28 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I really don't believe you're thinking on a big enough scale ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...log-books.html
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:35 am

Or you could go for a memorable moment and take all your chums on a flight safety awareness course, though that would be super-geeky:

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ness-nocourses
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:37 am

Is your wife to be as interested in aircraft and aircraft memorabilia as you? A 747 undercarriage in the dining room may appeal to you but might not be a suitable reminder of your wedding day for your wife.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:39 am

How about buying a case of Bordeaux wine or similar (vintage '16 when it gets released) that you can drink together over the next few decades?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Sorry, should have clarified that, we did pick hers together. Nothing would remind me more of my beautiful wife than a polished piece of engine cowling...
Statement of the year on FT ^^^
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Nothing would remind me more of my beautiful wife than a polished piece of engine cowling...
I love that. It HAS to be part of your wedding speech.

Or at least your sig here.

I think it calls for a new thread: Which part of an aircraft does your other half most remind you off
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Aviation-Themed Gifts

I find Airportag a fun place for travelers - not quite the high end but home items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.