FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What was the maximum distance you walked per day? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1752530-what-maximum-distance-you-walked-per-day.html)

invisible Mar 12, 2016 9:00 am

What was the maximum distance you walked per day?

Subj. It is a question to ordinary people, not to professional or semi-professional athletes.

A colleague visited from US so gave to him a walking tour around Singapore's downtown and nearby parks. Here is the result

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/roc5wdnebjt...ar_12.jpg?dl=0

BuildingMyBento Mar 12, 2016 9:38 am

When I'm traveling to cities, I usually walk at least 10-12 miles per day.
For Tokyo, it feels a lot more than that.

Lost Mar 12, 2016 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 26322511)
When I'm traveling to cities, I usually walk at least 10-12 miles per day.
For Tokyo, it feels a lot more than that.

I'm in the same ballpark. I prefer walking around cities whenever I can.

A couple years ago in London I did 21 miles in one day around town wearing Vans and cotton socks. Wasn't planning on quite that much but got carried away being my first time there. Those blisters were unreal.

deniah Mar 12, 2016 10:13 am

daily average, 3-5km
on vacation, 10-15km

chrisl137 Mar 12, 2016 12:14 pm

I regularly walk 3-4 miles a day at work up and down hills getting to meetings and can go out my front door and do a 10 mile hike with ~3500 feet of elevation gain without really thinking about it. We regularly take visitors on an 18 mile RT hike with ~5000 feet of elevation gain. I have had a few periods in my life competing at a fairly high level athletically, but the most recent ended about 5 years ago.

sbrower Mar 12, 2016 12:33 pm

What was the maximum distance you walked per day?

In a suit, with a client, walked from sushi dinner at the Marriott Marquis to Brooklyn Marriott.

sethweinstein Mar 12, 2016 2:52 pm

The longest I calculated was from midtown Manhattan to a friend's party in New Rochelle, about 21 miles, on a beautiful October day. I may have surpassed that distance just walking around cities.

Sometime I'd like to walk from Manhattan to my parents' place near Boston over a week, but I don't know if I could sustain that pace.

Seth

Efrem Mar 12, 2016 3:48 pm

Technically it isn't "walking," but I've completed eight 26.2-mile marathons. (This is not a large number in serious running circles.) It's a good bet that my total mileage on foot most of those days topped 27 or 28. I'm sure several FTers have completed at least one longer ultramarathon. (The shortest ultramarathons are usually 50km/31.1mi., though even a race of 26.3 miles would probably be considered one.)

Some of my hikes to the more remote parts of New Hampshire's White Mountains, or the easier ones along England's Thames Path, probably exceed this by a bit but took a lot more time to do it.

My recent high was about 15 miles in Torres del Paine, Chile, with a group that the REI outdoor equipment chain put together. I've had days with higher mileage totals, but the terrain is difficult and very little of it is horizontal. No staying in bed the next day, either.

Annalisa12 Mar 12, 2016 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem (Post 26323832)
Technically it isn't "walking," but I've completed eight 26.2-mile marathons. (This is not a large number in serious running circles.) It's a good bet that my total mileage on foot most of those days topped 27 or 28. I'm sure several FTers have completed at least one longer ultramarathon. (The shortest ultramarathons are usually 50km/31.1mi., though even a race of 26.3 miles would probably be considered one.)

I've only done a half marathon 21.1 k's non stop. That was enough for me! I'm not a huge holiday walker if I don't have to be!

Loren Pechtel Mar 12, 2016 8:56 pm

I've done 13 miles one day--made much harder because the lowest altitude was 12,000'. I've done 12 miles multiple times at reasonable altitudes. There have been other long days that I don't know how far I went.

eigenvector Mar 12, 2016 11:57 pm

I have walked 31 miles (50 km) in a single day on a hiking trail.

Owenc Mar 13, 2016 11:10 am

12 miles in new york.

deniah Mar 13, 2016 1:11 pm

however high and long everest basecamp trek was

Skatering Mar 13, 2016 1:55 pm

I covered 15 miles in one day, and 43 over a four-day period once. In Rome. With all the cobbled streets.

It killed my feet.

CMK10 Mar 13, 2016 3:08 pm

I did about 10 miles as well as 57 stories in San Francisco last year. That was a hard day, I really felt it the next day.

A few years ago I did just under a dozen miles in Chicago.