Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which countries have you traveled to where you felt the least safe in?

Which countries have you traveled to where you felt the least safe in?

Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have only traveled in Europe (most countries), Canada, Mexico and the DR. Never felt physically unsafe anywhere, but felt uneasy in Italy about money security.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Of the countries I've been to, it would be India, but I've only been to 25 countries and none of them would be on any "dangerous" lists. Being more "dangerous" than Vatican City, San Marino, Luxembourg, Iceland, etc. - it's relative to a pretty safe list.

And this is for where I visited - I was fine in Istanbul, but certainly wouldn't consider all of Turkey to be safe.

Last edited by CPRich; Feb 19, 2016 at 9:21 am
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Perhaps the better question, rather than where on felt unsafe, is where is one actually in the most danger based on the facts (crime statistics, any current unrest, etc). People have different, and often irrational, perceptions of danger and/or different levels of tolerance for such risk.

In most cases, generalizing a whole country, nevermind a whole continent, is not of much value. For that matter even in a given city there will be safe and less safe areas.
I find the overall question interesting. Statistics are facts, and if we wanted facts, we could just look at those statistics. There wouldn't be an exchange, as facts are facts.

To illustrate, I have been to Manila a couple of dozen times. Someone stating he felt particularly unsafe there is something i can relate to, and revisit my own experiences there. And the reasons why i probably have been feeling safe.

I'd agree it'd be nice to know *why* people felt unsafe in certain places though.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:04 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Originally Posted by Fasano Havenshire
Last year in a very public place, a drunk man shoved me and came at me again - everyone around me looked away and did nothing. That's was most disturbing of all.
The only places I've been jumped by total strangers are:

Oslo (choke hold from behind, the guy's friends pull him off me shouting to the guy "it's not him! it's not him!" - guess I looked like his nemesis).

Stockholm (drunk/high guy grabs my necklace and tries to pull it off. I pull back but fortunately the guys friends pull him off me after a while).

The most dangerous place I frequent nowadays are probably the Thai roads. Trucks making U-turns on the highway at night with poor street lighting? We've got it.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: DL,EK
No question: Democratic Republic of the Congo (specifically, Goma). Of the 90 or so countries I have been to, it is the only one where I felt uneasy.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:18 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Bulgaria. But I didn't travel there; I lived there for 3 years. I'm lucky to be alive still.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was driving around Bahrain, and took a few wrong turns in "south Manama". I thought it would be interesting to take a short cut through the neighborhood to get back to the downtown area. Bad idea, brick road blocks everywhere and burnt out cars with locals giving me the evil eye. Turned out that was one of the areas of pretty intense rioting a few weeks before.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
santiago

117 countries and countless cities and I felt so unsafe in Santiago. the hotel had a letter presented to you on check in with all the warnings. My Uber drivers were warning me, tour guides warning me, waiters warning me about purse snatching, knockdowns in the middle of the day, motorcycle robbers, etc.

I always always take public transportation and I never went into the subway in SCL. had me looking over my shoulder the entire time. Other then that the setting if beautiful and I enjoyed trips outside of SCL to the Andes and wine country.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
"country" really doesnt work here

even "city" is problematic - look at how localized (small areas) violent crime is in johannesburg, capetown, etc
I totally agree with this. After all, whether or not we feel safe is largely a product of our preconceived notions about a place. If I thought I was going to feel unsafe somewhere I probably wouldn't go there in the first place.

Wording aside I think it is an interesting question with interesting answers. Personally I felt uneasy walking outside town at night in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. I never even passed anyone on the road to give me reason to feel unsafe, my guard was just up because I had read about a spat of muggings of tourists and I would have been very upset to lose my camera.

The only time I have ever felt unsafe because of the vibe I got off of specific people was at home in Baltimore City. ONCE in 11 years of living here. So I guess that goes to show that media portrayals don't always mesh with the reality of how "safe" a city is, and crime statistics for an entire city don't reflect how safe a specific neighborhood is.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
No question: Democratic Republic of the Congo (specifically, Goma). Of the 90 or so countries I have been to, it is the only one where I felt uneasy.
I spent several months in Muanda. Never felt threatened at all. There were a bunch of vacant hotels that had been ransacked by the military. They had even gone so far as to steal the wood in the door and window frames. Squatters had moved into them. But I never felt threatened. Used to walk from Banana Base (on the river) up to Muanda (couple of hours walk) on Sunday afternoons.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Catford, London (particularly Thornton Heath area although my other three are far worse, particularly first two)
Iraja, Rio de Janeiro
Cazenga, Luanda
Uspallata, Mendoza
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:39 pm

Manila, Philippines.

Even being at the airport felt really unsafe. Just the thought of someone intentionally planting bullets in your bag and either lose money through a bribe and go through the notorious and corrupt justice system of the Philippines.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
It's weird, but the only places I've felt truly unsafe in terms of personal safety is in western countries.
Particularly Rome, where we were attacked. I put a size 10 boot where the gentleman concerned probably wished he didn't have a size ten boot forcibly inserted. This was the last I heard of it.

The only other places where I felt unsafe are Lyon and Paris. In Lyon we were being followed as we walked back from dinner to the hotel, and the following morning our car had been trashed (an English plated car in a street of only French cars). In Paris, I ended up delayed coming in on a TGV from the Netherlands and needed to take the RER late at night. Not a good feeling.

The only place I have been directly threatened by a person seeking me out rather than just random crime is Slovakia. We were staying with family in a remote part of the country and we had driven from the UK so we had an English plated car. The next morning a chap down the road came to us and said you really need to hide you car (we had parked on the street in a very small and sleepy village). We naturally did so, unaware as to why. A short while later a couple of big black SUVs pulled up outside and some shaved gorillas flanked a small shaved headed gentleman with right wing leanings turned up and informed us we either needed to pay him or get out of the town faster than the proverbial off a shovel. Some negotiations were held and we paid a small amount as the family relation in the town was an official. Otherwise we found Slovakia an incredibly welcoming country and utterly beautiful, and gloriously cheap beer and never felt unsafe on the streets. Just Russian mobsters to be concerned with...

Cambodia has a terrible reputation for crime, and I never felt unsafe. Helped by the fact I'm about 2ft taller than most of the locals, and about 2ft wider as well. And living there rather than visiting helped ingratiate me.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I'm a 6'1", 175lb, 53 year old white male who lives in the USA. I've visited 91 countries in most corners of the world. When I visit a country, I tend to 'devour' it, by riding motorcycles and scooters, driving rental cars and walking a lot in the cities.

Top of my list of dangerous countries is the USA. There are plenty of cities that I would not be caught wandering around in late at night. My most recent experience was a drunk on Bourbon Street trying to pick a fight with me while my wife was shopping in a store.

Beyond that, I have never really felt endangered in any country, but there are certain places where I have felt a bit nervous and was extra-aware:

Cairo
Johannesburg
Bogota
Albania
Santiago
Rio de Janeiro
The west bank of Israel and certain quarters of Jeruselum
Mexico - I've been hassled by the police there so many times I stopped going about 10 years ago

I'll be visiting Beirut in a few weeks, so I may have another one to add to my list
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:47 pm

For me, Istanbul, Turkey - two terrifying incidents in one night.

As her mother, the scariest was hearing about my daughter's experience in the outer arrondisements of Paris circa 2009 where she was checking out shops. She came across a group of young men who were seriously harassing her in French and then English (she understood both). She swore and yelled at them and luckily nothing worse happened.

New Orleans, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Mexico - no problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.