Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do the days leading up to a vacation?

Old Feb 17, 16, 7:02 am
Original Poster

The days leading up to an incredibly exciting vacation can be painfully slow. So besides packing and all the essentials, what do you do to pass the time?
Old Feb 17, 16, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Generally I'm working overtime making sure I've got everything squared away or properly on pause/reassigned to someone before I leave. It's always worth that extra legwork to make sure I can spend my vacation completely disconnected and relaxed, not giving a second of thought to work.

The 2-3 days before a big vacation, we are usually occupied by logistics - getting the dogs set up with whomever they'll be staying with, eating all the food in the fridge, paying up all our bills that will come due, etc.

And usually Mrs. Lee finds a need to do some last minute clothes shopping.
Old Feb 17, 16, 7:52 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

My days preceding a vacation are very hectic. In fact, I've coined a phrase with my family called "the pre trip panic." I regularly go through a phase, usually about 48 hours before heading to the airport, where I decide with certainty that it's simply not worth all the trouble. Then, that phase passes and I get everything under control, and head off for a nice trip. I actually anticipate that roller coaster, knowing it won't last.

FWIW: We are self employed business owners, and farm, home and animal owners, with children. All of our travel is vacation travel.
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I should also add, that since I travel frequently for work, I've had a couple occasions where I'm flying home from work literally the day or two before we set off for a 3-week vacation.

In those cases, those last few nights on the road are TERRIBLY slow, as it's the combination of both waiting to go home AND knowing that going home means starting off on vacation. And of course, those are also the times where there never seems to be enough time to get all the pre-trip stuff done. Only so much you can do online.
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I tend to plan obsessively - I'm nearing completion on this June's Australia trip - so the last few days are just packing and confirming coverage at work.
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I make sure anything I'm working on is handed off and make clear to my team that I will NOT be available while I'm on vacation. I disable my company email account on my phone until I get back.

Fortunately my department has a culture of not working after 5PM and actually disconnecting when you're away from the office so it's not an issue.
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
We make a list of what to pack for each person if there is a laundry facility we take less. The day or two before we go we do laundry to make sure we have everything clean. We bring the luggage up from the basement to make sure it is all functional. Check all documents to make sure we have them.
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

The days leading up are busy setting up bill pay, hold mail, papers, etc. getting last minute packing needs and ensuring all is ready at home and work. The day of I usually go pick up my food for my traveling snack bag.
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:40 am

Clean, i prefer to come home to a clean apartment. It always suck when you want to go home and relax but everything is a mess.
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Try to figure out whether I can get up extra early tomorrow morning to do the packing (to help with eastbound jetlag) without forgetting something vital. Then do so anyway. And rarely forget anything that can't be bought at the airport.
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD View Post
The days leading up to an incredibly exciting vacation can be painfully slow. So besides packing and all the essentials, what do you do to pass the time?
I set out suitcases about a week ahead of a major trip and do the basic packing. That way I'm in no rush plus I've got a week to remember what I've forgotten and add it to the baggage.

If I'm going out of country (I usually am) I notify my bank that my cars will be used overseas.

I print off my travel docs (tickets, reservations, etc.). 2 copies. 1 for me and 1 for my wife.

That's it. I turn off the heat and A/C, turn on the alarm and walk out the door.
Old Feb 17, 16, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I eat a burrito or four. What's the point of going on a vacation if it's to somewhere where you can still get a good burrito?
Old Feb 17, 16, 1:19 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I guess I'm a little different than most. Normally I try not to think about it too much because I usually end up overthinking things and stress out over all the little details. It's a weird personality trait I guess - but it's the best way for me!
Old Feb 17, 16, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
I try to focus a bit on my health. If I can get a few extra workouts in and some solid healthy meals, I can adapt to travel stress and jetlag MUCH better.
Old Feb 17, 16, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob
Cocoon to save money to blow on the trip.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: