Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I have noticed that on business trips when I am better dressed, I am often treated better at hotels, shops and restaurants than when I am more casual. Paris stands out for that. But I still wear what I want, and don't care what others wear. I am reminded, though of an office manager I had when business casual was first coming in years ago that complained to people that she thought were over-dressing that they were making less well-dressed people feel bad. She was a pretty terrible office manager overall, though.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:55 am

I was in Monaco dressed very casual, athletic type shirt. Someone thought I worked for the local yacht club. Going back next year. Won't make that mistake again.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Someone thought I worked for the airline when I boarded one of their flights!
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by thebigben
Not at all what I said. Look at this: "Sure it is a net positive for you because people may treat you better, but not for society as a whole."
You're smart enough to understand the crux of my point is still applicable.

And your answer is that "Yes I'm not gonna listen to you because it's a net positive for me so I'm still gonna enjoy my success"
To borrow your phrase - "not at all what I said. "

Those who are successful don't dress nicely because someone is going to give them something - they don't need handouts. You're thinking of people who aren't successful but want to appear like they are.

I know the truth is bothersome, but making a strawman out of it isn't going to make it go away. Enjoy your success, just know it can only last if most people in society want said society to continue on its tracks. I've lived in a few different places, and elitism comes in varying degrees. There are places where people are very successful while still in touch with the rest of society. I'm just sad London isn't one of them.
Your divisive attitude is precisely the problem. It's always "us vs. them". Why can't people who dress nicely do so without drawing the ire from those of the likes of you? Because some pieces of cloth make you jealous?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
My most recent long haul taught me something.

Knee-length dresses with pockets are amazing for flights. And being presentable and comfortable is far easier for women than it is for men in this situation (for once! Finally! Why have I always avoided this before?)

Gentlemen, may I suggest dressing in drag?
KBRDU likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by kb9522
Your divisive attitude is precisely the problem. It's always "us vs. them". Why can't people who dress nicely do so without drawing the ire from those of the likes of you? Because some pieces of cloth make you jealous?
Why can't people who dress nicely refrain from passing judgement on those who seek more comfortable attire? Because some pieces of cloth make you feel superior?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Why can't people who dress nicely refrain from passing judgement on those who seek more comfortable attire? Because some pieces of cloth make you feel superior?
Because it's generally acceptable to go above the minimum standard. Going below it, however is not.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 4:59 pm

I do get your point. Can you honestly say that you've never judged anyone for any reason?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Because it's generally acceptable to go above the minimum standard. Going below it, however is not.
What minimum standards and who is setting them? I don't recall seeing an airline setting minimum standards to ride up front nor have I read a generally accepted consensus among F and J passengers. But if you need fancy pants to bolster your ego I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Originally Posted by zitsky
I do get your point. Can you honestly say that you've never judged anyone for any reason?
I judge people all the time but never on something as entirely insignificant as how they dress in the forward cabin of public transit.
muji and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:24 pm

What minimum standards and who is setting them? I don't recall seeing an airline setting minimum standards to ride up front nor have I read a generally accepted consensus among F and J passengers. But if you need fancy pants to bolster your ego I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I judge people all the time but never on something as entirely insignificant as how they dress in the forward cabin of public transit.
So then, what do you consider an acceptable reason to judge someone? ...crime?

I do judge people by how they dress. If someone can't wear clean clothing in public then I feel sorry for them. I wonder how they think about themselves. I hope there is a minimum standard of what is acceptable in public.

And I hate seeing untucked dress shirts. Looks very sloppy.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..

.. people by how they dress. If someone can't wear clean clothing in public then I feel sorry for them. I wonder how they think about themselves. I hope there is a minimum standard of what is acceptable in public.

QUOTE=AStarr;30340501]My most recent long haul taught me something.

Knee-length dresses with pockets are amazing for flights. And being presentable and comfortable is far easier for women than it is for men in this situation (for once! Finally! Why have I always avoided this before?)

Gentlemen, ..
[/QUOTE]

And I often board later as those often on way to Y , are often sloppy but as it is so crammed back there that I suppose they need to get ‘ comfortable ‘ ( since they do not receive pjs and assume more convenient for change before boarding / have tight area to change ) . But what is poor form is really if they come onboard without having bathed , smells like anyway .
Clean clothing will definitely help & perhaps refreshing themselves in the restroom before boarding is necessary etiquette .
Best stop here ..

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:18 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
'tis FT, and probably the interwebs... the almighty can judge, but frown upon others who judge. Plus the almighty get to judge on what is judgeable. But you don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:40 pm
Suspended

So then, what do you consider an acceptable reason to judge someone? ...crime?

I do judge people by how they dress. If someone can't wear clean clothing in public then I feel sorry for them. I wonder how they think about themselves. I hope there is a minimum standard of what is acceptable in public.

I judge people by their conduct, what they do and say, not whether they have fancy pants. The person to really feel sorry for is someone so vacuous and shallow that they can't look past the state of another person's shirt tail.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

But what is poor form is really if they come onboard without having bathed , smells like anyway .
Clean clothing will definitely help & perhaps refreshing themselves in the restroom before boarding is necessary etiquette .
Best stop here ..
Mmm yes... hygiene. I'm one of those "must have a shower immediately before getting on the plane" types these days... or at the very least, I carry deodorant wipes. Perfume is overkill and the refreshing wipes airlines often stock are just not enough. And clean clothing is a must. I cannot stand to be seated near people who obviously haven't bathed in the last few days. In some cases, top notch hygiene can override casual dress... and being well dressed does not forgive poor hygiene. Just because someone slapped on a tie doesn't make up for not brushing their teeth.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
How I dress for a flight is not affected by whether my boarding pass says coach, business, or first.
I just want to not think too hard about what I wear on the plane, so it's black leggings, comfortable black sneakers/trainers, long tunic, light black jacket with inner pockets, scarf. Good for every class, lounges, red-eyes, waiting at the gate, last minute upgrades, and working right off the plane. I change my personal item more often than my flying attire. If I'm off to somewhere like Jamaica I might leave off the scarf and carry shorts to change into at MBJ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.