Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben
I am not sure in which sense wearing a suit and a hat is "respectful" and "courteous". In fact, I would argue it could be portrayed as not very courteous to those who earn less or do not get to work in a suit. With income inequality being the main source of social discomfort, or even criminality, I don't think wearing a suit is a net positive for society. Sure it is a net positive for you because people may treat you better, but not for society as a whole.

I don't see how I dress could sadden anyone. And if it does, hopefully their entitlement will shrink with time. I've got drawers full of t-shirts and jeans. I've never been happier and more successful. Heck I showed up at the interview like that... I'm very glad the world has come this far.
I see your location is London. I'm going to assume that being in Europe and not the U.S., you don't see scores of people wearing Tweety Bird jammies, or hot pink sweatpants with "Juicy" stenciled across the cheeks. Or wearing profane/obscene sloganed-shirts proudly. Or basically looking like they rolled out of bed and went to the airport without taking 20 seconds for personal hygiene. Jeans and tee-shirts are the HIGH end of "comfortable" here, and at least jeans cover your whole leg.

Also, I never said anyone has to agree with me...I still get to think what I think. And thanks for the "entitlement" barb.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by thebigben
I am not sure in which sense wearing a suit and a hat is "respectful" and "courteous". In fact, I would argue it could be portrayed as not very courteous to those who earn less or do not get to work in a suit. With income inequality being the main source of social discomfort, or even criminality, I don't think wearing a suit is a net positive for society. Sure it is a net positive for you because people may treat you better, but not for society as a whole.

I don't see how I dress could sadden anyone. And if it does, hopefully their entitlement will shrink with time. I've got drawers full of t-shirts and jeans. I've never been happier and more successful. Heck I showed up at the interview like that... I'm very glad the world has come this far.
Sure, the answer is always to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator

Because some people are impoverished, I should be ashamed of being successful... Absolutely ridiculous.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I don’t care what other people wear on board, and fail to see why anyone should care what I wear. Admittedly, that often includes a blazer because I like having lots of pockets for my electronics.

That doesn’t mean I don’t find other travelers amusing. Last time I was in DEN, I saw a guy walking through the terminal wearing only swim trunks, flip-flops and a terry bathrobe. Bigben, was that you?

Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:10 am

My wife dresses me nowadays. (I mean she tells me what to wear, not putting me socks on for me etc)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I sometimes dress up, sometimes not.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by kb9522
Sure, the answer is always to bring everyone down to the lowest common denominator

Because some people are impoverished, I should be ashamed of being successful... Absolutely ridiculous.

Not at all what I said. Look at this: "Sure it is a net positive for you because people may treat you better, but not for society as a whole."

And your answer is that "Yes I'm not gonna listen to you because it's a net positive for me so I'm still gonna enjoy my success"

I know the truth is bothersome, but making a strawman out of it isn't going to make it go away. Enjoy your success, just know it can only last if most people in society want said society to continue on its tracks. I've lived in a few different places, and elitism comes in varying degrees. There are places where people are very successful while still in touch with the rest of society. I'm just sad London isn't one of them.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:31 am

Even poor people can afford a suit to wear to church. I know because I was one of them.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The fashion police who bemoan the lack of courtesy when people don't wear suits or are aghast at the mere sight of pink sweat pants in the lounge continue to fight a losing battle on all fronts. They are not unlike Japanese hold-outs on remote islands in WWII who continued fighting not knowing that the Emperor surrendered.

The war is over fashion police. You lost. Throw away your ties, loosen your collars and deal with it.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:31 am

I don't wear a suit and tie when flying. But I won't let the slobs dictate how I dress. Tuck in your shirts, people!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
I don't wear a suit and tie when flying. But I won't let the slobs dictate how I dress. Tuck in your shirts, people!
LOL. A good example of the contradiction of the fashion police. Declare they won't let slobs dictate their dress but then start barking orders how other people should wear their shirts.
muji likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
LOL. A good example of the contradiction of the fashion police. Declare they won't let slobs dictate their dress but then start barking orders how other people should wear their shirts.
You're the one who decided to turn this into a war. Tuck in your shirt! Don't make me tell you again.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zitsky
You're the one who decided to turn this into a war. Tuck in your shirt! Don't make me tell you again.
War's over. You lost.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
War's over. You lost.
Do TSA or the airlines make you pull out your shirt or do people like you do it on your own? Do you wear flip flops to the airport? Don't forget your bathrobe when you are sitting in first class.

It's not over yet, sorry
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
One can still look good in a t-shirt!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
One can still look good in a t-shirt!
Only a black tshirt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.