Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Shift directions just a bit. We all have different ideas on this. That much is clear.

For those who believe they should dress up in First Class on a plane. Why? What is your personal motivation for doing that?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nave888
Depends what you think "dress up" is....What I think dress up is might be very different than what others think. I don't put on a suit and tie for J!

Answer though - no. I always look clean and put together, so jeans, a button down or clean cut polo, and nice shoes is about as casual I'll go.

I never understand people who insist on workout wear when they fly though. There are always swarms of people in yoga clothes that swear it's "comfortable"....How uncomfortable are jeans or slacks?
Jeans are terrible, particularly to sleep in.

I am much more concerned with my fellow pax being and smelling clean and having good manners.

I would much rather sit next to someone in plaid pajama pants and a t-shirt and dreads who is clean and polite than sit next to an over-lubricated rude person or someone who spilled aftershave or perfume on themselves who is dressed to the nines and has a DYKWIA attitude to go with it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Shift directions just a bit. We all have different ideas on this. That much is clear.

For those who believe they should dress up in First Class on a plane. Why? What is your personal motivation for doing that?
- same reason you dress up for other experiences which are classier or more special than your mundane existence (e.g. dinner out)
- you feel better dressed smartly than as a "Walmartian"
- it reminds you to step up your game
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by weltfrieden

I have seen men and women in int'l first class who act like they were going to backyard BBQ/swim parties.
And?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
- same reason you dress up for other experiences which are classier or more special than your mundane existence (e.g. dinner out)
- you feel better dressed smartly than as a "Walmartian"
- it reminds you to step up your game
What game? I'm on an airplane going somewhere with a cabin full of strangers. Should the fashion police find my "game" not suitable to their standards that's their problem. In the unlikely event one of them works up the nerve to say something directly they will be told in very graphic terms to leave me alone.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
What game? I'm on an airplane going somewhere with a cabin full of strangers. Should the fashion police find my "game" not suitable to their standards that's their problem. In the unlikely event one of them works up the nerve to say something directly they will be told in very graphic terms to leave me alone.
Yeah, seriously. I don't understand this at all.

Granted, I am reading this thread rather curiously as an outsider, as I've never flown anything other than cheapest economy and I am 22 years old. Reading this thread feels a bit weird - like reading about how people used to dress up to get on a train, this feels like it's one of them things that is going by the wayside. And personally I don't see a reason for it not to. I don't think less or more of anybody who dressed up or doesn't for a flight. Maybe others do, however.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I sure do. I look better in suits and they're slimming! That's just for international First though, if I'm traveling domestically I usually limit myself to khakis and a button down or sometimes jeans and a button down.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:07 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I'm sure when people like myself say they wear "sweats" most people on here immediately conjure up thoughts of dirty 15-year old sweats that are worn, stained, and disgusting.

There are such things as tailored sweats that are clean, look nice, and probably cost more than the slacks you are wearing.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I always wear at least a polo shirt and generally some kind of jacket when flying in Premium cabins. I don't expect anyone else to, but I enjoy it. I'll often change into something more comfortable on overnight flights though.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I always wear at least a polo shirt and generally some kind of jacket when flying in Premium cabins. I don't expect anyone else to, but I enjoy it. I'll often change into something more comfortable on overnight flights though.
My opinion: If you dress like that, wearing a jacket, because that's the way you feel most comfortable then good for you. But if someone "dresses up" trying to put on airs or act like he's "something" just because he's in First Class then I have a somewhat different opinion.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:08 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 355F1
I'm sure when people like myself say they wear "sweats" most people on here immediately conjure up thoughts of dirty 15-year old sweats that are worn, stained, and disgusting.

There are such things as tailored sweats that are clean, look nice, and probably cost more than the slacks you are wearing.
I'd love to learn more about these fancy sweats. Do you have links / examples?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My opinion: If you dress like that, wearing a jacket, because that's the way you feel most comfortable then good for you. But if someone "dresses up" trying to put on airs or act like he's "something" just because he's in First Class then I have a somewhat different opinion.
There's a strong undercurrent of snobbery in this thread. The peacocks who preen their finery in the first class cabin would impose a dress code if given the chance. In the meantime, they will privately roll their eyes at anyone who does not meet their lofty standards of sartorial splendour.

They are the same type of people who adore formal nights on cruises, Decked out in tuxes and formal gowns eating mediocre cruise ship cuisine and imagining themselves to be sophisticates.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:08 am

Conversely the same applies to those who dress 'down' and look like their diets' comprise nothing more than Red Stripe and Twinkies.

In any case, your comment is borderline nonsensical - how can you tell the difference in your example? You go around chatting to random passengers about why they chose to dress a certain way?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Why would some people not "dress up" for a special experience.
First might be normal for you and comfort is as a road warrior more important.

My cloth are "better" going international first as I can change into a PJ right away and when I arrive I am appropriately dressed (someone else might just go to the hotel/relatives so who cares).
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: US Gold
I grew up in a time when girls had to wear skirts to school and people dressed up to go to the theater, out to dinner, or even, in my mother's case to go into "the city" (ie, Manhattan). When I was 10 or 11, it occurred to me that people who live in Manhattan probably didn't dress up just to be there, and since I was sitting next to a kid who lived there, I asked her. No, she said, of course not. That's when I began to jettison the notion of dressing up to go places. By the time I was 16 I was going to the theater and nice restaurants in jeans, like many others around me. My attitude now, so many years later, is that a place that imposes a dress code is not somewhere I want to spend my time. It strikes me as anti-democratic.

I would far rather the people around me on a plane - especially in economy, where you're squashed so closely together - were comfortable and relaxed than trying to impress other people with how they look. They're likely to be much pleasanter that way.

wg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.