Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Depends what you think "dress up" is....What I think dress up is might be very different than what others think. I don't put on a suit and tie for J!

Answer though - no. I always look clean and put together, so jeans, a button down or clean cut polo, and nice shoes is about as casual I'll go.

I never understand people who insist on workout wear when they fly though. There are always swarms of people in yoga clothes that swear it's "comfortable"....How uncomfortable are jeans or slacks?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It depends on whether they provide pajamas on the flight.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: UA, HA
Yeah, I dress up. Granted, my regular (nonflying) code is pretty utilitarian, so an uptick a few notches isn't difficult or that impressive. But I'm old fashioned that way.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by nave888
Depends what you think "dress up" is....What I think dress up is might be very different than what others think. I don't put on a suit and tie for J!

Answer though - no. I always look clean and put together, so jeans, a button down or clean cut polo, and nice shoes is about as casual I'll go.

I never understand people who insist on workout wear when they fly though. There are always swarms of people in yoga clothes that swear it's "comfortable"....How uncomfortable are jeans or slacks?
Jeans or slacks can dig in to your muffin top... ouch.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:07 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by nave888
You have no idea how uncomfortable jeans can be! I didn't know anything about jeans, jean brands (or just brands in general), jeans material, etc when I bought my first pair of jeans from Macy's. Those things were awful. My testes were sanded down every time I took a step in those jeans.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
it's pretty funny when you're the only guy standing in the F line but easily the worst dressed at the gate.
I like the looks people give me when I'm sloppily dressed (most likely due to hangover) for premium cabin.

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Often I'll have a sport coat to fly. Not for polishing my appearance, but the numerous pockets are great for the passport, boarding passes, wallet, phone(s), and miscellaneous stuff I like to have at hand and not in my trouser pockets.
Oh gee, please keep in mind you're not supposed to use your jacket pockets on the outside

I like a good field jacket for this reason. Like this, but without the mask or the menacing attitude. Also the waxed cotton jacket doubles as a raincoat, and is water/spill-proof. And I mean actually water proof, not like those tacky "waterproof" trench coats Burberry overcharges for.

Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:25 am
Suspended

The opposite, I roll in wearing jeans and a ratty black tshirt.

OTOH I usually just sit down, order a whiskey, and quietly watch movies on my tablet. Most of the rude people I've met OTOH, have been wearing suits / "business casual"
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yesterday I flew first class LAX to ORD in my NOMEX Fireproof jump-suit. Although I got some nasty looks from the prudes on the plane most people love a man dressed up to work. It must be that ladies can't resist a man in uniform.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:40 am

Wink

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
My testes were sanded down every time I took a step in those jeans.
You do not have to go commando. Try putting something between your testes and the jeans, underwear of some sort.

HTH
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by steveo
Yesterday I flew first class LAX to ORD in my NOMEX Fireproof jump-suit. Although I got some nasty looks from the prudes on the plane most people love a man dressed up to work. It must be that ladies can't resist a man in uniform.
Hahahaha! Such an absurd image. Were you TopGunning? Bonus if you had your callsign patch on

Reminds me of the people who wear scrubs to the grocery market. Besides the gross factor and the inappropriateness factor, there's the hilarious DYKWIA factor. Hopefully you're just 1 for 3.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Regardless of what one may choose to wear inflight, I've always found the contrast intriguing between how nicely the premium airlines present their airport staff and flight attendants, their premium class lounges and their onboard product as opposed to a significant percentage of passengers that - under the guise of dressing for comfort or just allowing their inner id to be on full display - often look like they'd be right at home at a trailer park BBQ in rural Mississippi. Or a NASCAR race on a cold day.

I think it'd be interesting if not downright entertaining to see how well it would be received if the airlines responded in kind with employees dressed like the aforementioned "Walmartians", lounges set up more like a frat house break room ("There's a keg and some chips in the corner, Dude. Help yourself!") and Green Tortoise style accommodations aboard their aircraft.

The price of the ticket's got nothing to do with it. All of youse can afford it one way or the other. At the end of the day it's a simple case of transporting a bunch of people safely and comfortably from point A to B. Why not do so in a style more in keeping with what the passenger's attire strongly suggests they'd be more comfortable with?

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 12, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious
The opposite, I roll in wearing jeans and a ratty black tshirt.

OTOH I usually just sit down, order a whiskey, and quietly watch movies on my tablet. Most of the rude people I've met OTOH, have been wearing suits / "business casual"
So there are few/no rude people wearing casual clothes? I find that a little hard to believe.

And do we really need another clothing thread that is just full of people saying "I'm not stuck up. I dress casually on the plane."??

Last time I went TATL in coach I debated wearing pajamas but decided against it. Later this year I may be on a 8 hour overnight flight also in coach. I might just bring out the pajamas this time. Because I'm not stuck up.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
My husband won't wear a pair of bright lime green slip on shoes I got him for casual. He said he feels like Kermit the Frog. I whine and say "but they look so smart". I thought they'd be fabulous on the plane. Easy to slip on and off. Oh well.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Oh gee, please keep in mind you're not supposed to use your jacket pockets on the outside
That's why the pockets for storing said items are on the inside.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
And do we really need another clothing thread that is just full of people saying "I'm not stuck up. I dress casually on the plane."??
^ Funnily enough, OP very tactfully set up this thread in a non-perjorative way. But apparently all our minds skip to the same judgments.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
My husband won't wear a pair of bright lime green slip on shoes I got him for casual. He said he feels like Kermit the Frog. I whine and say "but they look so smart". I thought they'd be fabulous on the plane. Easy to slip on and off. Oh well.
Hopefully you also got him the other articles of a suitably flamboyant bold outfit. Bonus, you know he's not color-blind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.