Reload this Page >

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Domestic - wear what I'm going to work in.

International - dress what I want to wear AFTER I land. On board pre-takeoff change into comfortable clothes. Change 45 mins before landing.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Grrr, indeed. In ~tropical parts/warm ports, sandals can be a normal part of a fancy outfit; they certainly come in chic varieties. -1 Qantas.
Glad you're with me. I have so many stunning pairs of sandals with glitter or beads that go with nice outfits. However, the stupid sign at the door of the lounge says that that look with a strap between the toes may not be allowed.

Can't remember where I read it but some lady said she wasn't allowed in to the lounge with her glittery sandals and was told if she changed she could come in. Her husband had a pair of shoes in their carryon, 4 or 5 sizes bigger (clown shoes someone said) and she flopped up to the reception and was allowed in. How ridiculous.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Absolutely not, I dress in stylish casual on a daily basis (usually designer jeans and a polo or sweater) and that's exactly how I fly in Int F, C, or Y. Having said that you'd never catch me dead in track pants outside of my home either so I'd also never wear them on an airplane.
^

Shortly after we first met my partner and I flew together. We met at the airport that day and she was in what she calls "cozy" clothes and what I would call track or yoga pants. We had a "conversation" about appropriate attire for flying. As I fly 100k+ annually and she rarely flies, she deferred to my feelings on this topic. (one of the few times that I've "been right" without much argument)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:42 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Nope.

Tailored Lulu sweats and a t-shirt/long-sleeve no matter which cabin I fly.

Flew PE and J PHX-LHR-JNB-LHR-PHX last weekend on an MR and was quite comfy!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:25 pm

I do make sure to wear underwear. Is that what you mean
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:44 am

Programs: LH HON
Boarding in Jeans + Polo/T-Shirt or Shirt if I just happen to wear one. But I'll quickly change into joggers once we're airborne.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:30 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I wear my standard attire, regardless of whether I'm out and about, flying (in Y, J, or F), or at work: dress shoes, naked & famous jeans, and a dress shirt. It's just the default and only appropriate thing I'll wear if I'm out of the house. Occasionally, I'll wear a plain colored v-neck with a blazer.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: UA, HA
It's quite absurd when lounge policy attempts to act as a sort of fashion police. So clumsy and behind the times. One understands that the carriers want their lounges to be a sort of marketer's wet dream, a posh place for a neo-Golden Age of Travel. But upper class style and people's tastes have diverged. (yawn) Move on lounge nazis. Every sparkly sandal you reject just makes some other lounge look smart while you get the leftover schlubs in sneakers, kakhis, and button downs.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
If I'm flying SQ F on a route with pyjamas I wear a black round-neck t-shirt, grey/beige shorts and flip flops. I tend to wear the pyjamas all the way until arrival of the last sector which means doing the transit in them and the SQ slippers.
Crew are used to it, it's pretty funny when you're the only guy standing in the F line but easily the worst dressed at the gate.

For J it's whatever I'm wearing on the day - usually the same as above. I carry a PJ set in my carry-on if it's longer than 4hrs.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
If I'm flying SQ F on a route with pyjamas I wear a black round-neck t-shirt, grey/beige shorts and flip flops. I tend to wear the pyjamas all the way until arrival of the last sector which means doing the transit in them and the SQ slippers.
Crew are used to it, it's pretty funny when you're the only guy standing in the F line but easily the worst dressed at the gate.
I love it.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Not at all. I just wear my usual clothes - jeans, t-shirt or shirt, sweater or hoodie. The only difference is I pay more attention to shoes, especially if it's a long haul, so would avoid anything not extra comfy and/or problematic to slip in/out of. High heels and open toes are also a big no-no.

I would also consider weather at origin and destination, so many times I carry extra clothes to change into upon arrival.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Often I'll have a sport coat to fly. Not for polishing my appearance, but the numerous pockets are great for the passport, boarding passes, wallet, phone(s), and miscellaneous stuff I like to have at hand and not in my trouser pockets.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:15 pm

Since when does nicely dressed = uncomfortable? You don't have to be dressed like a Walmartian to be comfortable. It's perfectly possible to be neat & well presented without wearing a suit and tie if you're a man or a dress and stilletos if you're female.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Gringa
Since when does nicely dressed = uncomfortable? You don't have to be dressed like a Walmartian to be comfortable. It's perfectly possible to be neat & well presented without wearing a suit and tie if you're a man or a dress and stilletos if you're female.
It's also perfectly possible to wear a suit & tie and be comfortable. Spend up a bit on good materials and proper fitting, and a suit jacket is very comfortable. Choose dress shoes carefully and you can walk 5 miles a day in them.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Gringa
Walmartian.... lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.