Reload this Page >

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you "dress up" to fly premium cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 1:41 am

I used to dress more spiffy in the past, now it’s comfortable Under Armour gear weather i’m in the Upper Deck of a Delta 747 or flying Space Available in the Upper Deck of a USAF C-5.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Isn't Singapore a bit hot for a hoodie? I'm more of a jeans and oxford shirt guy myself though in Singapore I'd likely switch to Dockers.
Yeah, absolutely. I don't wear a hoodie often but when flying 99% of the time is spent in airconditioned places. I wear them because it makes my upper body feel like I'm in bed even when I'm not. If I'm not at work or clubbing I try to avoid full sleeve shirts. I wear jeans, wish I could wear my oxfords and jackets more often though.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:03 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Saying Capital One is an upscale bank is about the same as saying McDonalds is a 3 star Michelin restaurant.
I do believe there was a certain amount of irony being displayed here
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Nope

Sweatpants and a hoodie. I'm just hoping to get a nap in, not land a job.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by zitsky
What's your definition of "dressing up"? Suit and tie? Khakis and a button down shirt? I think you create your own environment and attitude by how you dress. Dressing up can make you feel better.
Full morning dress for a day flight, white tie and tails for an evening flight, smoking jacket for a night flight.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Intertraffic
Sweatpants and a hoodie. I'm just hoping to get a nap in, not land a job.
Oh Dear! Another person who looks like he just left the gym.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Be careful. You might hurt their feelings.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA - Platinum (AC); Hyatt Diamond, Marriott gold
Jeans or slacks and a polo/sweater/long sleeve shirt depending on the weather (No shorts, not because I'm opposed but more because I want as little skin on plane contact as possible) unless I have a meeting or something and won't have time to check in, iron and change beforehand, but I usually plan my travel so I will have the time...I haven't noticed any difference in treatment based on how I'm dressed.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Dressed-up is not the same as well-dressed. Just like when you see schlubs in suits.

My daydream has everyone around me dressed cleverly, acting civilized, and looking impressively fit. Then I have to wake up.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by MrTemporal
Oh dear! Another fashion police cadet who instead of minding his own business passes judgement on what other people are wearing.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
it depends on what I have to do once I get off the plane. If I have a meeting then I probably will dress up if I do not have anything until the next day then I will go a casual as possible. If it is a long haul then I will definitely dress down hard unless someone is meeting me then I make it casual. However, I will have some shorts and socks in my to-go bag so that I can get comfortable on the plane.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:42 am
Suspended

I tend to wear what I need to, and if I am coming from or going to a business meeting, then I will be in a suit.

However, I have found that wearing a suit tends to get you smoothly through other aspects of travel. It really makes no difference onboard the plane, however it DOES make a difference when dealing with staff and in unusual circumstances, be it GA's, hotel clerks, rental car agents etc. Right or wrong, if you exude authority, confidence and means, you tend to be treated better than if you are standing at the counter in jeans and a t-shirt.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PT, Bonvoy PT
I'm glad I wore a "nice" shirt with long sleeves on my SEA-ATL the other day. It was freezing on the plane and took probably half an hour after boarding J for the crew to turn the heat on.

Then again, I probably would have done the same even if I hadn't gotten upgraded, simply because I want to touch the seat as little as possible. Don't know where it's been.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I tend to wear what I need to, and if I am coming from or going to a business meeting, then I will be in a suit.

However, I have found that wearing a suit tends to get you smoothly through other aspects of travel. It really makes no difference onboard the plane, however it DOES make a difference when dealing with staff and in unusual circumstances, be it GA's, hotel clerks, rental car agents etc. Right or wrong, if you exude authority, confidence and means, you tend to be treated better than if you are standing at the counter in jeans and a t-shirt.
None of this is necessary when you land in Hawaii. Nothing says I am the man like a nice high ranking status at a hotel (e.g. Diamond at Hilton) or Chairman at the airline counter. What you wear is less important than "Who" you are.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jww947
None of this is necessary when you land in Hawaii. Nothing says I am the man like a nice high ranking status at a hotel (e.g. Diamond at Hilton) or Chairman at the airline counter. What you wear is less important than "Who" you are.
Diamond at Hilton (most likely earned thru countless boring work stays away from home) represents "who" one is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.