Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

what's the most high-tech mini-bars that you've seen in hotel rooms?

Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

I just checked into my hotel a couple of hours ago. They have RFID
chips on all sodas/beers/snacks and the mini-bar apparently tracks
them as soon as they are removed.(with immediate billing, so putting
them back doesn't make any difference )
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat; SPG Plat
What hotel are you at?

I don't particularly like that approach. Sometimes I empty the mini fridge for my own use, then put everything back exactly where it was before I leave.

Or what if I grabbed something out of the fridge and then didn't immediately consume it and later decided I didn't want to consume it at all, so I put it back? Instant billing sounds like it will result in a lot of people calling for refunds.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
What hotel is this?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emkn45
What hotel are you at?

I don't particularly like that approach. Sometimes I empty the mini fridge for my own use, then put everything back exactly where it was before I leave.

Or what if I grabbed something out of the fridge and then didn't immediately consume it and later decided I didn't want to consume it at all, so I put it back? Instant billing sounds like it will result in a lot of people calling for refunds.
I'm still in the hotel, so I won't reveal the location until I'm checked
out. But I can say that it's in Midtown Manhattan.

The hotel does have pretty large signs clearly visible on the minibar
cautioning guests not to remove any items, unless he/she intends
to consume and pay for it.

I usually don't touch the overpriced stuff in the minibar anyway,
unless I have a hot date or a female prostitute in the room.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
What hotel is this?
MO NY had this in the minibar. During my last stay, my SO moved some stuff around in the minibar to make room for some chocolates she had bought. The MO automatically ran the bill up to $300 of items that had not been removed and forwarded this information automatically to the credit card company. The cc was promptly frozen. It took me 30 minutes at checkout to straighten the mess out and some amount of time on the phone to unfreeze the cc.

MO NY had other issues and I'll never return.

High Tech minibars, such as the ones at MO NY are disasters. Tracking items in this manner is simply not a task that improves with technology.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
MO NY had this in the minibar. During my last stay, my SO moved some stuff around in the minibar to make room for some chocolates she had bought. The MO automatically ran the bill up to $300 of items that had not been removed and forwarded this information automatically to the credit card company. The cc was promptly frozen. It took me 30 minutes at checkout to straighten the mess out and some amount of time on the phone to unfreeze the cc.
what bank freezes credit card account with just $300 of charges?
was the card issued by AA? (not the airline... Alcoholics Anonymous,
which helps people quit drinking)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
what bank freezes credit card account with just $300 of charges?
was the card issued by AA? (not the airline... Alcoholics Anonymous,
which helps people quit drinking)
I suspect it wasn't the amount of the charge so much as the nature of the charge. If it was out of line with the poster's typical spending habits it wouldn't be uncommon to freeze the card.

Personally, I've charged $4K at a single restaurant and $3K (deposit) for a new car on my Amex without a problem, but had Amex freeze my account when someone used my stolen card number to purchase $105 for Domino's pizza. Credit card companies are really sophisticated about knowing a card holder's purchasing patterns and identifying anomalies.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I suspect it wasn't the amount of the charge so much as the nature of the charge. If it was out of line with the poster's typical spending habits it wouldn't be uncommon to freeze the card.

Personally, I've charged $4K at a single restaurant and $3K (deposit) for a new car on my Amex without a problem, but had Amex freeze my account when someone used my stolen card number to purchase $105 for Domino's pizza. Credit card companies are really sophisticated about knowing a card holder's purchasing patterns and identifying anomalies.
I guess it's a good thing that the legal marijuana shops in Colorado are not allowed to take credit cards yet.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:47 pm

I just checked into my hotel a couple of hours ago. They have RFID
A few years ago, I was in a French hotel with the weight (I guess) sensored kind and as I turned the bottles and cans to read them, I looked over and saw the sign alerting me of this. Oops, I have to read slower in French so I didn't see it quickly. Walked down and convinced the desk employee that I had not actually consumed everything in the minibar in the 20 minutes I had been in the room. She laughed and removed it from my bill.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Quote:

I'm still in the hotel, so I won't reveal the location until I'm checked
out. But I can say that it's in Midtown Manhattan.

The hotel does have pretty large signs clearly visible on the minibar
cautioning guests not to remove any items, unless he/she intends
to consume and pay for it.

I usually don't touch the overpriced stuff in the minibar anyway,
unless I have a hot date or a female prostitute in the room.
Well you left no doubt of your maturity and intelligence with the above comments

Last edited by mike2200; Feb 3, 2016 at 3:42 am
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike2200
Well you left no doubt of your maturity and intelligence with the above comments
just stating the facts. as for maturity... at my age, I'd thank anyone who calls me immature. There's nothing sadder when my grandchildren think I'm "old"
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:34 am

They have RFID
Most decent hotels will refund any minibar charges without any question because even lower-tech minibars tend to have erroneous charges. If not, that's an easy credit card company dispute.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I've seen this in Vegas - Cosmo, Vdara and Aria - all three feature this stuff. Also they charge $30 'resort fee' daily as well. I would not recommend to stay there.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I would not appreciate that system.
For starters, I have never consumed anything out of the min-bar at any hotel. Also, I like to use it to keep some stuff cool.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:20 pm

Not the most high tech, but the pressure sensitive bottles of pop and the electronically locked minibar is fairly unusual.

Something else I saw which was pretty neat was the note "The first bottle of water is free. If you touch, drink or move the second bottle on this table, you will be charged 7.00". Again, pressure sensitive.

Chuck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.