Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying in snow, what can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Looks like Charlotte was just placed on the travel waiver for AA.

What is the consensus of flying into CLT at 10pm Saturday?

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Jan 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Happened to us over the holidays. Snow storm, new flight would have gotten us to our destination and we would only have been able to spend a day there. Called AA and had no problem cancelling. Got our money refunded a week or so later.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

Good luck. Gonna be ugly.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: US Airways DM- Silver
Are we thinking ugly like in 'don't even bother?' I'm supposed to leaving for DEN tomorrow and returning to PHL at 1100 MST. With the snow expected to end on Saturday evening, do you think AA would be running flights on Sunday, even with a delay?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:37 am
Original Poster

This morning Charlotte temperatures were shown as 34, and it'd be raining when my flight is supposed to take off... now it's showing 28 and snow/freezing rain...

Ugh...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL SM
Wife is flying MSP-CLT-IAD on Sunday morning.

AA 1961 MSP-CLT (departs 6:49 am)
AA 4955 CLT-IAD (departs 11:45 am)

Do you think she'll have any issues? She's freaking out, and this travel is necessary as she has work training starting on Monday morning (actually an hour drive west of BWI and IAD). I told her she'd probably be fine as snow crews are fairly efficient getting things back on track, but then again I'm spoiled here at MSP in that regard.

Last edited by RuesterGAGT; Jan 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RuesterGAGT

Do you think she'll have any issues? She's freaking out, and this travel is necessary as she has work training starting on Monday morning (actually an hour drive west of BWI and IAD). I told her she'd probably be fine as snow crews are fairly efficient getting things back on track, but then again I'm spoiled here at MSP in that regard.
If she's on AA, can she reroute through DFW or ORD to get into IAD (or BWI or DCA if that works)? The biggest problem might be the drive or other land transportation from the airport to her training site. [I've seen six inches of snow cause three hour lines for shared taxis at DCA.]

DC does not deal with snow well at all. Roads and streets will be in bad condition for a long time, or until the snow all melts. Rental cars might not be well equipped (good tires, snow brush, lots of windshield washer fluid that doesn't freeze) for snow either. MN handles winter weather well, but other areas don't have the equipment or experience to do so.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by golasalle
Are we thinking ugly like in 'don't even bother?' I'm supposed to leaving for DEN tomorrow and returning to PHL at 1100 MST. With the snow expected to end on Saturday evening, do you think AA would be running flights on Sunday, even with a delay?
It depends on when the snow/winds taper off. AA has completely cancelled all flights to PHL for Saturday. They will try to start getting flights back into PHL as soon as possible, but if you had a rebook choice I would go for later than earlier.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWAGGA
This morning Charlotte temperatures were shown as 34, and it'd be raining when my flight is supposed to take off... now it's showing 28 and snow/freezing rain...

Ugh...
All flights are cancelled on Friday through CLT.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RuesterGAGT

I would switch to a flight later in the day. AA has cancelled all flights for Saturday and Sunday morning to/from WAS. Flights are tentatively scheduled to resume sometime after noon.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If she's on AA, can she reroute through DFW or ORD to get into IAD (or BWI or DCA if that works)? The biggest problem might be the drive or other land transportation from the airport to her training site. [I've seen six inches of snow cause three hour lines for shared taxis at DCA.]

DC does not deal with snow well at all. Roads and streets will be in bad condition for a long time, or until the snow all melts. Rental cars might not be well equipped (good tires, snow brush, lots of windshield washer fluid that doesn't freeze) for snow either. MN handles winter weather well, but other areas don't have the equipment or experience to do so.
That's a good point on the reroute through DFW or ORD. Initially she had to be routed through CLT due to it being the cheapest and her company's flight purchase restrictions. I'm assuming as long as there's inventory she should be able to find something. And, if not, she has all day to make the drive from IAD to her final destination, so it's mainly the ground travel that may give her problems it seems.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not predicting that she can get into a DC area airport on Sunday, just saying that landing there might be the smaller problem than driving to some (remote?) conference center an hour away. Since driving is on the agenda, she should try to get into the DC area and pick up her rental car as early in the day as possible. You might want to make dummy fully cancellable car reservations for all three airports just in case.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might want to make dummy fully cancellable car reservations for all three airports just in case.
Very good idea. I'll have her do that tomorrow.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:09 pm

Have a flight leaving JFK at 7:30am on Saturday morning going to London, can any experts predict if the flight will leave or not? Was originally on the 9:35pm but changed it when I heard the snow wasn't going to start until Sat AM.

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:42 pm

Anyone planning to drive anywhere in the DMV region over the weekend is either crazy or the world's biggest optimist. The area was in traffic chaos last night, people I know abandoned their cars - it snowed 1.5-2.0 inches.

The storm will be that times 10 or even times 20. They won't clear the roads much at all over the weekend as they don't have enough equipment and/or staff to deal with a big blizzard.

D.C. is woefully unprepared for winter weather even though it reliably will have a winter weather event or more each season. That applies both to the authorities in the area and the residents. The hot, long subtropical summers seem to deceive people into believing they live in a warmer climate than they really do.

I have a hunch the number of people in the region who have ever put mud and snow tires on their vehicle is very small indeed. If those were widespread, at least those 1-2 inch events would be less troublesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.