Wiki Posts
Search

Best books about the airline industry

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I want to buy a gift for a complete airline nerd, and I wonder if anyone can recommend some good books about the industry. I think I'd prefer lighter books for a broad audience rather than a heavy book aimed at those already in the industry. I'm thinking about "Full Upright and Locked Position" by Mark Gerchick but am open to suggestions!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Cockpit Confidential by Patrick Smith is an interesting book. I enjoyed it.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:15 pm

Skyfaring by Mark Vanhoenacker, a BA pilot, is a good read. It has a good balance of enough techie detail to satisfy most avgeeks without putting off the general reader. It's almost poetic in places.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by rpjs
Skyfaring by Mark Vanhoenacker, a BA pilot, is a good read. It has a good balance of enough techie detail to satisfy most avgeeks without putting off the general reader. It's almost poetic in places.
Wonderful book. ^
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: DL GM
Cockpit confidential: Great book. Vote of confidence over upright and locked position. I have that on my shelf now, I think I reached about page 25/30 before I gave it up. I'm sure I'll try it again, but not that interesting IMO
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by rpjs
One more for this book, really fantastic read. Well written and I like the way the author views his 'job'.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

Totally different than those listed here but "Bush Pilot with a Briefcase," the story of what became CPAir in Canada, is a very entertaining read.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Check out QF32
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA
I felt ripped off by Cockpit Confidential; it seemed that most of his stuff was available for free and I had already read.

I liked the Upright and Locked Book; it was revealing for me.

The UA232 book was pretty good.

I will check out Skyfaring.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Independent
It's an old book by now, written in the 90's I believe, but in a sense good history now. Hard Landings by Thomas Petzinger. It's a business book but really intriguing, more about the personalities in the Airline World.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by Beven12S
I felt ripped off by Cockpit Confidential; it seemed that most of his stuff was available for free and I had already read.
Which the author has here: http://www.askthepilot.com/

OP: you can read a bit of the stories and decide (like a "Look inside the book") - I dont know how much of the book is covered on that page already.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:13 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Another vote for Skyfaring. Also, Cruising Attitude for a flight attendants perspective. Patrick Smiths book is good but it is true that much of it has been on his blog or Salon. Still a good read all in one place.

There are tons of books on almost every aspect of aviation.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K

+1 for "Cockpit Confidential" and "Full Upright and Locked Position" Also "Airlines for the Rest of Us" by Stan Solomon and "Betty in the Sky with a Suitcase" by Betty N. Thesky (pen name of course). There's a new book coming out "Glory Lost and Found" by Seth Kaplan and Jay Shabat.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
It's an old book by now, written in the 90's I believe, but in a sense good history now. Hard Landings by Thomas Petzinger. It's a business book but really intriguing, more about the personalities in the Airline World.
+1. Although a bit outdated, it's still a good read if you are interested in the modern history of the american airlines and the de-regulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.