Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Optimizing Honeymoon Planning August 2016 (Mixed points and miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver

Hello FT!!!

I am getting married in 2016 and planning a honeymoon trip to Asia in August with my new wife for two weeks. For the last 3-4 years as a consultant, I have been saving as many rewards as possible for this special trip. I have a combination of points and miles from various programs and am always on the constant lookout for deals, but wanted to ask the forums for suggestions in case I missed anything to optimize my spend on points and use the least amount of cash.

Here's what's in the travel bank.

1) 207,000 Marriott Rewards points
2) 220,000 American Airlines miles
3) 295,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards
4) 12,000 United Airlines miles
5) 88,000 TrueBlue miles
6) 18,000 Hertz points
7) 37,000 Southwest miles

This is the draft itinerary but I'm flexible to reshuffle the order of the cities if it makes sense.
Origin: BWI/DCA/IAD - Washington, DC Metro area
Stop 1: Hong Kong
Stop 2: Taipei or Kaoshiung, Taiwan
Stop 3: Tokyo, Japan
Return: BWI/DCA/IAD

My thoughts were to either combine my Chase and AA miles and roll them onto all British Airways flights to give me close to 500,000, or use the Chase points to bump up my United miles. I'm pretty set on hotel points I think for two weeks of travel. I've been digging into forums on the One World Asia pass, but the cost of it doesn't seem to be worth it, especially for the 2-3 cities I will only be visiting. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Redeeming AA for BA metal will *likely* kick in some hefty fuel surcharges. I'd maybe look to redeem AA going west on one of the good Asian Oneworld carriers. Or maybe via a Middle East carrier if you want to go east.

Can you augment the Marriott balance to the point where you'd have a Marriott Travel Package? That'd cover the week in HKG and generate enough UA miles (I think) to get you back home in J. ANA and AC are both good J options out of NRT.

The Hertz points could open up a cheap way to or from PHL or NYC if you need it for award availability purposes (1-day 1-way award to/from your neighborhood Hertz). I know you don't *want* to start or end the trip with a drive to New York, but we're talking August here...you might need to cast a wider net to find your ideal seats.

Jetblue or WN could also help if repositioning is needed beyond your local region. Hopefully that won't be needed.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
Redeeming AA for BA metal will *likely* kick in some hefty fuel surcharges. I'd maybe look to redeem AA going west on one of the good Asian Oneworld carriers. Or maybe via a Middle East carrier if you want to go east.

Can you augment the Marriott balance to the point where you'd have a Marriott Travel Package? That'd cover the week in HKG and generate enough UA miles (I think) to get you back home in J. ANA and AC are both good J options out of NRT.

The Hertz points could open up a cheap way to or from PHL or NYC if you need it for award availability purposes (1-day 1-way award to/from your neighborhood Hertz). I know you don't *want* to start or end the trip with a drive to New York, but we're talking August here...you might need to cast a wider net to find your ideal seats.

Jetblue or WN could also help if repositioning is needed beyond your local region. Hopefully that won't be needed.
Thanks Pinniped. I didn't consider the Marriott travel package that would also let you earn miles. I followed up with Marriott on this and it seems that you need to stay 7 consecutive nights at the same property to make it work out. With my schedule I think that might too long in one place. Good call on using Jetblue or WN miles to reposition to a cheaper flight. Thanks for the tips!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yes, it's a 7-nighter on the hotel part. In my head I was thinking rough 2-week math...7 nights HKG, 4-5 Tokyo, 2-3 Taiwan...but if the 2 weeks counts travel time and it's really 11-12 nights on the ground then yeah, you might not want to commit as much to HKG.

The Marriott 5-night awards are the next-best bet after Travel Packages. Are you Gold or Platinum in the Marriott program? If so, I might look for a nice JW or two. If you are Silver or less, I'd just augment my points and book Ritz: the one in HKG is supposed to be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.