Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

SEA-SYD airfare questions (buy at $1300 or wait).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold

Hello,

Looking for suggestions/experience from the fine folks at FT.

I'm want to get tickets from SEA-SYD for next November, preferably on the new AA route via LAX so I can hopefully clear some SWUs. I currently see a fare for $1313, all AA Metal, SEA-PHX-LAX-SYD-LAX-PHX-SEA. I don't have much experience on tracking fares to Australia. From what I've read, a "great" fare is something on the order of $1000 like the one offered by Qantas recently. Is $1300 in the "good, but you could do better" category? Or should I stop worrying about saving a few hundred bucks and jump on this?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:44 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Bork, generally most airfare questions about a route -- where there's a choice of multiple carriers -- are discussed in the TravelBuzz forum, and I'll move it there. Should you decide to focus only on AA flights, let a moderator know and she/he can move it to the AA forum for more focused discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Sr. Moderator.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From SEA, for $1300, I would jump (but airfares go up & down).
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...tml#post258948
Originally Posted by tom911
Qantas has a sale right now from SFO to several different Australia destinations for $999. Although you must take the nonstop Qantas flight SFO-SYD-SFO as part of your itinerary, the sale seems to work with other cities I've looked at (Brisbane, Melbourne) as long as you include the flight from/to SFO. Sale lasts through Dec 21.

You won't beat this price. AA is charging $1,800 on some of the same travel dates I looked at. Qantas had an Australia sale a few weeks ago from the west coast and those fares were down to $1,299, so it's $300 less than that recent sale.
Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
- United (LAX SFO – SYD MEL) [Star Alliance]
- AA (LAX SYD) from Dec 2015 [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Qantas (LAX JFK DFW HNL – SYD BNE MEL; SFO from Dec 2015) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Jetstar (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Delta (VA & AS partner) (LAX – SYD) [Skyteam Alliance]
- Virgin Australia (DL partner) (LAX – SYD BNE)
- Hawaiian, via Hawaii (AA & VA partner) (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Air NZ, via AKL [Star Alliance]
- Fiji Airways ( LAX via Fiji) (AA & AS partner)
- Air Tahiti Nui (LAX) (last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Air Canada [Star Alliance] (SYD, BNE from Jun 2016)
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Wasn't sure what the best forum was. I appreciate it.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Random search out of Vancouver I see 1,100usd round trip on air New Zealand.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is a bit of a price war going on due to increase in capacity US-Oz so historical prices aren't indicative as long as this continues. If you have flexibility then it is possible to find USD 1000 price point from most of US west coast to SYD/MEL and sometimes BNE. Still USD 1300 for SEA-SYD is a good price if you want that MR routing. Otherwise cheapest can be SEA-HNL-SYD for the right dates on HA but usually has an overnight connnection (which is a plus or minus depending on your objectives).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:10 pm

$1300 is a good price - especially with the extra domestic flights.

Not familiar with AA - but is it possible to go SEA-LAX direct?? That stop in PHX will be a real pain on the way home.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat
Its a good price imho since anything to syd rarely goes on sale. If you think its a fair price, grab it while you can. Unless your willing to drive to YVR outbound & return, the positioning flights to take advantage of the cheaper fares up there will render the savings negligible.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:51 pm

To book for next November is a bit too early for me personally. But if your plans are set in stone then $1300 is not a bad price at all for a November vacation.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback. I hesitated for a day or two to think about it and things have already jumped back to $1750. I never seem to learn. I'll keep an eye on things for the next few months.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kcupp95
Not familiar with AA - but is it possible to go SEA-LAX direct?? That stop in PHX will be a real pain on the way home.
No. The SEA-LAX nonstop route is owned by AS and DL.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
No. The SEA-LAX nonstop route is owned by AS and DL.
Bugger - that's a shame.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
If you are willing to drive up to YVR, there are really great fares on CX in PE, less than $1900rt. You would earn 1.5EQM.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...AA,AS,CX,QF,JL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.