Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED. PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2032204-support-animals-cabin-2021-onwards.html

Service and Support Animals (Updated)

Wednesday, December 2, 2020WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today announced that it is revising its Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) regulation on the transportation of service animals by air to ensure a safe and accessible air transportation system. The final rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals can be found HERE.

The Department received more than 15,000 comments on the notice of proposed rulemaking. The final rule announced today addresses concerns raised by individuals with disabilities, airlines, flight attendants, airports, other aviation transportation stakeholders, and other members of the public, regarding service animals on aircraft.

The final rule:
  • Defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability;
  • No longer considers an emotional support animal to be a service animal;
  • Requires airlines to treat psychiatric service animals the same as other service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require forms developed by DOT attesting to a service animal’s health, behavior and training, and if taking a long flight attesting that the service animal can either not relieve itself, or can relieve itself in a sanitary manner;
  • Allows airlines to require individuals traveling with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) up to 48 hours in advance of the date of travel if the passenger’s reservation was made prior to that time;
  • Prohibits airlines from requiring passengers with a disability who are traveling with a service animal to physically check-in at the airport instead of using the online check-in process;
  • Allows airlines to require a person with a disability seeking to travel with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) at the passenger’s departure gate on the date of travel;
  • Allows airlines to limit the number of service animals traveling with a single passenger with a disability to two service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require a service animal to fit within its handler’s foot space on the aircraft;
  • Allows airlines to require that service animals be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times in the airport and on the aircraft;
  • Continues to allow airlines to refuse transportation to service animals that exhibit aggressive behavior and that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others; and
  • Continues to prohibit airlines from refusing to transport a service animal solely based on breed.
The final rule will be effective 30 days after date of publication in the Federal Register.
Previous rule:

The main requirements of Part 382 regarding service animals are:

• Carriers shall permit dogs and other service animals used by persons with disabilities to accompany the persons on a flight. See section 382.55(a)(1–2).—Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.
—Carriers shall permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability in any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation or to comply with FAA regulations.

• If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see section 382.37(c)).

• Carriers shall not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment, or services that are required by this part to be provided to qualified individuals with a disability (see section 382.57).

To determine whether an animal is a service animal and should be allowed to accompany its user in the cabin, airline personnel should:

1. Establish whether the animal is a pet or a service animal, and whether the passenger is a qualified individual with a disability; and then
2. Determine if the service animal presents either
• a ‘‘direct threat to the health or safety of others,’’ or
• a significant threat of disruption to the airline service in the cabin (i.e. a ‘‘fundamental alteration’’ to passenger service). See 382.7(c).

full text can be found: here.

United policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://hub.united.com/united-emotio...530539164.html

Delta policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...e-animals.html

American Airlines policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp

Print Wikipost

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an emotional support tom turkey that apparently has been flying DL.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's an emotional support tom turkey that apparently has been flying DL.
Any photo evidence?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
Any photo evidence?
Links to photos were posted in the DL forum thread. It looks like the turkey is sitting in a coach seat.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:53 am

In 2016, two flights

LAX, one dog in lounge, one in terminal

At PHX we raced through terminal to make plane as door closed. Sitting in row two. Dog in row one. Can't really comment on the rest of the plane.

Note, the dog sat on the arm rest between seats in first class. It was well behaved. My concern would be what would happen in case of turbulence. All people are belted in, but this dog wasn't restrained at all.

Over Thanksgiving I got to take three trips to pick up relatives. On all of them I saw many, many dogs either in arms or on leashes coming out of the secured area. My mom said there were 6 dogs on her flight alone. (LAX-CLT)
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

HKG today - zero dogs
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would like to recant my prior post(s) stating that dogs are really rare in airports.

I flew to SFB last week...first time ever, and first "new" U.S. airport for me in a few years. The place was freaking CRAWLING with traveling dogs. Mostly elderly travelers and smallish pups, quietly sitting with their owners. I had no issue with them: I was just struck by the number I observed walking through a relatively small airport. About a dozen that I saw...in a departure area for maybe 3 to 4 flights.

Thankfully, I didn't notice any stupid "ESA" vests on these particular dogs. Just people traveling with dogs. Lots and lots of dogs.

So I guess it just depends on where you fly. *shrug*
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I would like to recant my prior post(s) stating that dogs are really rare in airports.

I flew to SFB last week...first time ever, and first "new" U.S. airport for me in a few years. The place was freaking CRAWLING with traveling dogs. Mostly elderly travelers and smallish pups, quietly sitting with their owners. I had no issue with them: I was just struck by the number I observed walking through a relatively small airport. About a dozen that I saw...in a departure area for maybe 3 to 4 flights.

Thankfully, I didn't notice any stupid "ESA" vests on these particular dogs. Just people traveling with dogs. Lots and lots of dogs.

So I guess it just depends on where you fly. *shrug*
Thanks for updating. I think you are seeing what many of us have seen... in the last year, the numbers have just shot through the roof.

And I get it... $300 - $500 to put your pet in the airliner hold, each way... or $99 a year and bring him/her on every flight. You never need to find a pet sitter or take them to the kennel. But, it doesn't make it right.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by invisible
Any photo evidence?
I thought the turkey reference was to the current SkyMiles program. But here's a post from the DL thread with a pic of the bird in question...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26002896-post138.html
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

A quick walk through ORD K terminal today... 4 ESA's

This am ORD-PBI - 2 ESA on board

Seems like no one seems to bother with the fake ESA vests anymore.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Courtesy of SFO777 -

LAX-DEN - 2 ESA

In his wonderful trip report, on post 188, he has a picture of the biggest ESA I have seen yet.

Gives me hope to bring my two huge dogs on a flight.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:33 am

No ESAs on either the CLT to PHL out on Friday or the PHL to CLT back in on Sunday. And no ESAs in either AC or terminals. Perhaps it was a holiday thing, more leisure travelers, less business folks. I'm guessing if you need an ESA you probably don't volunteer for jobs with lots of traveling.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:49 am

Maybe a long time ago

[QUOTE=halls120;25909849]If a veteran has been found through medical diagnosis to be suffering from PTSD by a credible medical professional, sure.

The problem is that there are far too many fake service dogs and ESA dogs, thanks to sites like this - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. URL removed by Moderator

I have a true ESA and he is only 4lbs. I am shocked at this discussion thread. To say because I have mental health issues that are greatly helped by my dog and allow me to function in the world, I should choose a different job is unfathomable and ignorant in the truest sense of the word. How disappointing to find this thread. By the way, no airline I am aware of would allow an ESA with "internet documentation" on the flight. Check out the rules before stating things as "fact". With that said, I chose a dog that is hypoallergenic and very small to be respectful of the other passengers on the plane.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jan 23, 2016 at 9:56 am Reason: edited to remove website promoting fake service dog credentials
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:53 am

Wow

Originally Posted by 110pgl
I think you summed it up perfectly. If we did not get emotional support from our animals, I doubt many of us would have them as pets.
You all have no idea what you are talking about. ESA's are an evidence based treatment modality and the efficacy is undisputed. There are people who do take advantage and I agree on all points when that is being discussed.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashase
You all have no idea what you are talking about. ESA's are an evidence based treatment modality and the efficacy is undisputed. There are people who do take advantage and I agree on all points when that is being discussed.
Actually I know exactly of what I speak.

I have never doubted the need for real ESA's. But, if you think the mass proliferation of 'ESA's' in airports is legitimate or even remotely representative of true ESA owners, YOU have no idea what you are talking about.

I am sure the vast majority (or all) of people on planes with animals feel 'better' traveling with them, but that does not make them legitimate ESA's.

To educate you further... "[a]nimals whose sole function is to provide emotional support, comfort, therapy, companionship, therapeutic benefits, or to promote emotional well-being are not service animals..."
(source USDOJ)

Airlines, or any business, are allowed to ask two questions:
1. Is this a service dog required because of disability?
2. What is it trained to do to mitigate the disability?

(source USDOJ)

AFAIK - No one gets asked these questions.

Before you accuse someone of not knowing something, perhaps you should pause, ask questions, provide information and listen to others more knowledgeable than yourself. You might learn something from us.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

PBI this morning... 3 ESA in the terminal. (All three with what appears to be wealthy owners.)

PBI-CLT - One ESA. Lady with a large tan fur coat with a cat with a large tan fur coat. It was quite a scene. I will try to post a picture later.

CLT - No ESA spotted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.