Reload this Page >

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
THIS THREAD IS NOW ARCHIVED. PLEASE CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION HERE: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/2032204-support-animals-cabin-2021-onwards.html

Service and Support Animals (Updated)

Wednesday, December 2, 2020WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation today announced that it is revising its Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) regulation on the transportation of service animals by air to ensure a safe and accessible air transportation system. The final rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals can be found HERE.

The Department received more than 15,000 comments on the notice of proposed rulemaking. The final rule announced today addresses concerns raised by individuals with disabilities, airlines, flight attendants, airports, other aviation transportation stakeholders, and other members of the public, regarding service animals on aircraft.

The final rule:
  • Defines a service animal as a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability;
  • No longer considers an emotional support animal to be a service animal;
  • Requires airlines to treat psychiatric service animals the same as other service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require forms developed by DOT attesting to a service animal’s health, behavior and training, and if taking a long flight attesting that the service animal can either not relieve itself, or can relieve itself in a sanitary manner;
  • Allows airlines to require individuals traveling with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) up to 48 hours in advance of the date of travel if the passenger’s reservation was made prior to that time;
  • Prohibits airlines from requiring passengers with a disability who are traveling with a service animal to physically check-in at the airport instead of using the online check-in process;
  • Allows airlines to require a person with a disability seeking to travel with a service animal to provide the DOT service animal form(s) at the passenger’s departure gate on the date of travel;
  • Allows airlines to limit the number of service animals traveling with a single passenger with a disability to two service animals;
  • Allows airlines to require a service animal to fit within its handler’s foot space on the aircraft;
  • Allows airlines to require that service animals be harnessed, leashed, or tethered at all times in the airport and on the aircraft;
  • Continues to allow airlines to refuse transportation to service animals that exhibit aggressive behavior and that pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others; and
  • Continues to prohibit airlines from refusing to transport a service animal solely based on breed.
The final rule will be effective 30 days after date of publication in the Federal Register.
Previous rule:

The main requirements of Part 382 regarding service animals are:

• Carriers shall permit dogs and other service animals used by persons with disabilities to accompany the persons on a flight. See section 382.55(a)(1–2).—Carriers shall accept as evidence that an animal is a service animal identifiers such as identification cards, other written documentation, presence of harnesses, tags or the credible verbal assurances of a qualified individual with a disability using the animal.
—Carriers shall permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability in any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation or to comply with FAA regulations.

• If a service animal cannot be accommodated at the seat location of the qualified individual with a disability whom the animal is accompanying, the carrier shall offer the passenger the opportunity to move with the animal to a seat location in the same class of service, if present on the aircraft, where the animal can be accommodated, as an alternative to requiring that the animal travel in the cargo hold (see section 382.37(c)).

• Carriers shall not impose charges for providing facilities, equipment, or services that are required by this part to be provided to qualified individuals with a disability (see section 382.57).

To determine whether an animal is a service animal and should be allowed to accompany its user in the cabin, airline personnel should:

1. Establish whether the animal is a pet or a service animal, and whether the passenger is a qualified individual with a disability; and then
2. Determine if the service animal presents either
• a ‘‘direct threat to the health or safety of others,’’ or
• a significant threat of disruption to the airline service in the cabin (i.e. a ‘‘fundamental alteration’’ to passenger service). See 382.7(c).

full text can be found: here.

United policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://hub.united.com/united-emotio...530539164.html

Delta policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...e-animals.html

American Airlines policy on Emotional Support Animals: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp

Print Wikipost

The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
I'm glad we got there in the end.

Now perhaps the thread can be merged with one of the countless others in the approriate place.
No way!

This thread is where it belongs. This is 100% a TravelBuzz thread. As stated earlier, the existing threads are limited in scope. We need this thread.

And besides, Europe and Asia will be facing this issue very soon. They tend to lag the US in dumb policies by 12-24 months, so expect the EU to adopt this next year or the year after.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you need an animal to help you with a real disability (for example, blindness, where the dog helps you to walk without bumping into things), fine. If you're a bit of an emotional wreck if you can't travel with your pet hamster, then airline travel is not for you, as you are placing your 'condition' ahead of everyone else's who may not like/tolerate your pet in the cabin.

'ESA' seems like a silly pc expression for a solution seeking a condition.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 110pgl
And besides, Europe and Asia will be facing this issue very soon. They tend to lag the US in dumb policies by 12-24 months, so expect the EU to adopt this next year or the year after.
I don't think so. The concept of pets in Asia is very different form North America and Europe, and European won't allow this nonsense.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
You are simply wrong. It is very relevant to all flyers. READ some of the posts about people with allergies. Maybe you will start to care.
This was my first thought when reading through this thread. If a pax with an ESA is seated next to someone with an allergy related to the ESA on a full flight, what happens?

A while back I saw an Instagram picture of a duck wearing a diaper and a leash in the arrival hall of some airport.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:37 am

US flights abroad are actually working with the UK and other destinations to accommodate ESA. According to the United page, https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e_animals.aspx

"United is approved under the United Kingdom's Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) to accept service animals on flights to the UK. Review the entry requirements on the gov.uk website. Please provide a minimum one-week advance notification. Additional fees may apply."
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm glad we got there in the end.

Now perhaps the thread can be merged with one of the countless others in the approriate place.
Alert a mod if you feel the thread needs moved, rather than continuing to hem and haw every other post. Though it's not clear what your point is...lots of threads deal with subjects that may be more common in a certain region, they aren't all relegated to those country forums. Not to mention the FT membership is heavily US based, folks from other countries travel to and through the US, etc. so it's certainly a wide range of people who may encounter this ESA scam.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If you need an animal to help you with a real disability (for example, blindness, where the dog helps you to walk without bumping into things), fine. If you're a bit of an emotional wreck if you can't travel with your pet hamster, then airline travel is not for you, as you are placing your 'condition' ahead of everyone else's who may not like/tolerate your pet in the cabin.

'ESA' seems like a silly pc expression for a solution seeking a condition.
"ESA" has largely turned into a scam when it comes to airline passengers and has confused the issue of legitimate Service Animals which is unfortunate. Hopefully the law or regs in the US get clarified.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
If a pax with an ESA is seated next to someone with an allergy related to the ESA on a full flight, what happens?
I too have wondered this same thing.

I have also asked (rhetorically, on FT) why my mother who, while not allergic, has an irrational fear of all dogs that can lead her to panic and hyperventilate, has fewer "rights" in this regard than the individual who - equally irrationally - finds it impossible to board an aircraft without his or her "emotional support" PET. Thankfully, mom's flying days are over.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
This was my first thought when reading through this thread. If a pax with an ESA is seated next to someone with an allergy related to the ESA on a full flight, what happens?

A while back I saw an Instagram picture of a duck wearing a diaper and a leash in the arrival hall of some airport.
FWIW - I was told one time, the person with the allergy gets moved. Same holds true if it is a pet.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Alert a mod if you feel the thread needs moved, rather than continuing to hem and haw every other post. Though it's not clear what your point is...lots of threads deal with subjects that may be more common in a certain region, they aren't all relegated to those country forums.
You need to learn to read between the lines.

What makes this more definitive than all the others that have gone before it? The same arguments will be trotted out, both for and against and we'll get nowhere. I've nothing against that, as subjects being repeated can help newbies in particular, but claiming it's definitive before dabate has even started smacks of presumption.

The countries link was due to the OP appearing not to realise there was a big world out there, but maybe he/she was just being cute.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

You need to learn to read between the lines.

What makes this more definitive than all the others that have gone before it? The same arguments will be trotted out, both for and against and we'll get nowhere. I've nothing against that, as subjects being repeated can help newbies in particular, but claiming it's definitive before dabate has even started smacks of presumption.

The countries link was due to the OP appearing not to realise there was a big world out there, but maybe he/she was just being cute.
The OP is a wise and brilliant world traveller.

Rather than deriding The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines with your nonsense, why not add to it?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:22 pm

The OP is a wise and brilliant world traveller.

Rather than deriding The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines with your nonsense, why not add to it?
And modest with it!

My contribution is still as per post #17. Allowing ESAs is laughable.

To add more, allowing fake ESAs is hilarious.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And modest with it!

My contribution is still as per post #17. Allowing ESAs is laughable.

To add more, allowing fake ESAs is hilarious.
If your trained service animal is traveling with you because you are a diabetic and your dog is trained to alert you when your blood sugar reaches high or low levels, or you suffer depression and your dog is trained to remind you to take your medication, or if you have epilepsy and your dog is trained to detect the onset of a seizure and then help you remain safe during the seizure, fine. If not, leave your pet at home, or put it in the cargo bay where it belongs.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halls120
If your trained service animal is traveling with you because you are a diabetic and your dog is trained to alert you when your blood sugar reaches high or low levels, or you suffer depression and your dog is trained to remind you to take your medication, or if you have epilepsy and your dog is trained to detect the onset of a seizure and then help you remain safe during the seizure, fine. If not, leave your pet at home, or put it in the cargo bay where it belongs.
Right now, why would anyone put their pet in the hold AND pay for it?

With a fake ESA you get...
1. Pre-boarding
2. Extra carry-on allowance
3. Empty seat next to you (where available)
4. Free upgrade to E+/MCE/etc (where available)
5. No pet charge

Why would anyone pay to put their pet in the hold?
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by halls120
In honor of our US Veterans with PTSD who have very legitimate service dogs, I will add them to your list.

Similar to the diabetic alert dogs, and the seizure alert dogs, you may not see the PTSD dog "do" anything. But if they are needed they can literally be a lifesaver.

Just for the record I do not have a dog. So this has nothing to do with me.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
In honor of our US Veterans with PTSD who have very legitimate service dogs, I will add them to your list.
If a veteran has been found through medical diagnosis to be suffering from PTSD by a credible medical professional, sure.

The problem is that there are far too many fake service dogs and ESA dogs, thanks to sites like this - http://usdogregistry.org/?gclid=CMjX...FYIfHwod2ycI6w

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.