Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l Carriers that Show Upgrade Space for Miles at Booking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver

My preference for international travel is to look online for economy space (or economy plus or refundable economy) ethat I can buy and immediately upgrade to business with miles (possibly from a credit card) on the airline website, without calling in or searching expertflyer or the like, and where I am not some high level of elite. I know I can do this on UA and BA's websites, but can't on AF, AA or DL. What others allow this?

Last edited by Artpen100; Dec 21, 2015 at 8:14 am
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

If you are willing to add one additional step you can do this on DL (and some KL and AF flights). You can upgrade certain fares with miles - subject to space availabiulity. So you first have to call DL and have them check the various flight options and tell you which have upgrade availability. Then you book and can immediately uograde. It's not pretty - but if you have miles to burn it can be done.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

I've done that with AF. Definitely more work (though expertflyer can help searching for O). One time, though, the O upgrade space apparently disappeared after booking the full economy ticket and before I could redeem miles, though I was able to get it on a later flight (actually, I suspect the agent on the phone, who seemed clueless, had simply been incorrect). I prefer to be able to easily check that it an upgrade is available and if so push a button and get it.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
My preference for international travel is to look online for economy space (or economy plus or refundable economy) ethat I can buy and immediately upgrade to business with miles (possibly from a credit card) on the airline website, without calling in or searching expertflyer or the like, and where I am not some high level of elite. I know I can do this on UA and BA's websites, but can't on AF, AA or DL. What others allow this?
how many miles does this generally take per leg?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

On UA, usually 20K+$550 or 30K+$600 per leg for international, depending on the route On BA, I think there is a chart, but usually around 55K avios RT. AF usually 17.5K miles per leg. If you can find it. At least on the international flights I usually look for. I rarely upgrade for miles on domestic. Not worth it.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Artpen100
On UA, usually 20K+$550 or 30K+$600 per leg for international, depending on the route On BA, I think there is a chart, but usually around 55K avios RT. AF usually 17.5K miles per leg. If you can find it. At least on the international flights I usually look for. I rarely upgrade for miles on domestic. Not worth it.
i have been offered the chance to upgrade to 1st class on AS for $50 + tax on flights to vancouver before. this happened when chcking in online. not bad if you booked an award! i think its the same as if you paid cash too
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
i have been offered the chance to upgrade to 1st class on AS for $50 + tax on flights to vancouver before. this happened when chcking in online. not bad if you booked an award! i think its the same as if you paid cash too
Doesn't as only fly single class planes to yvr?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.