Reload this Page >

Can of Soda?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can of Soda?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by davie355
As to hitting the call button - many FAs feel it is only for emergencies, not drink refills.
The call button is for services, not just emergency. Idea is to minimize movement in flight. As long as you don't abuse it, I see no harm in using it to ask for a drink refill.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
When BA FAs see how thirsty and well fed I am, they generally hand me two cans.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
On UA you get the full can (my experience anyway).

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I just ask. But I do it slyly...

"Ummm I'll have a can of coke zero, thanks".

Rather than, "I'll have coke zero...oh actually can I have the whole can?"

The only time I've ever not gotten it were if she/he didn't hear me, or if they were running out. Some airlines don't have cans also. From what I've seen Avianca is most bottles. They get Coke from a big 2 liter bottle and on the flight I was on last week coke zero from a 500ml bottle, which she then offered to me.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by airplanegod
This doesn't apply to airlines like AA or B6 who hand you the entire can, but I was wondering for airlines like UA, DL, WN etc, is it rude to ask for an entire can of soda? Is it frowned upon? Is there a proper etiquette?
I always have politely asked for the entire can (including, specifically on UA, DL & WN) and I've never received any hesitation or negative reaction from the FA.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davie355
As to hitting the call button - many FAs feel it is only for emergencies, not drink refills.
...and they would be wrong. A good FA knows that mind-reading is very difficult.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airplanegod
This doesn't apply to airlines like AA or B6 who hand you the entire can, but I was wondering for airlines like UA, DL, WN etc, is it rude to ask for an entire can of soda? Is it frowned upon? Is there a proper etiquette?
You're so worried about the possibility of being rude that you're making threads on the internet asking about it? Ask for what you want. You're a grown up. The FA's being grown ups too can answer yes or no. Don't be so worried about etiquette.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by ou81two
..The FA's being grown ups too can answer yes or no. Don't be so worried about etiquette.
True.

Once airborne they can't even kick you off the plane easily. And on a late flight they won't risk a diversion to offload you simply because they might hate you for asking for a drink.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by weero
When BA FAs see how thirsty and well fed I am, they generally hand me two cans.
But I've only ever seen 150ml cans on BA, so two cans is still not as much sugar as one can on a US airline.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But I've only ever seen 150ml cans on BA, so two cans is still not as much sugar as one can on a US airline.
Fair enough.

But then which US airline does give you one whole can ?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:27 pm

When I fly American, I always ask for a can and I always get the can.

I'm actually surprised they would give you attitude for a measly can.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:14 pm

T tried it a few times on SQ. But the Singlish word for 'yes' is 'can', so the confusion that always ensued was rarely worth the amount of liquid extracted.

From very experienced intl. FAs who are familiar with other brands of English, I sometimes got an understanding "Can? Can can! .... can".
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: hertz gold #1
Originally Posted by weero
T tried it a few times on SQ. But the Singlish word for 'yes' is 'can', so the confusion that always ensued was rarely worth the amount of liquid extracted.

From very experienced intl. FAs who are familiar with other brands of English, I sometimes got an understanding "Can? Can can! .... can".
so try "im really thirsty could i have a large cola" and gesture with your hands a tall glass
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by steveo3002
so try "im really thirsty could i have a large cola" and gesture with your hands a tall glass
I do wonder what that would get me .... so I shall try.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Independent
I usually buy a bottled soda or seltzer (if I can find one) at one of the newsstands before my flight and bring that on board with me. That way i don't have to wait for the FA to come around, and I can put the cap back on and drink it throughout the entire flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.