Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some foreign carriers that are "dry" allow you to bring your own alcohol. There can be a bar at your seat or the FAs can serve it.
EgyptAir for example. Flying JNB - CAI we found out at the check-in (6 of us, early 20s, planning to get wasted on the flight) that they don't serve booze. We asked if we could bring a bottle from Duty Free and were informed that it depends on the Captain but should be ok.

So we got a 1 litre bottle of Russian Standard vodka and the FAs were very happy to bring us mixers, as I sauntered up and down the aisle with the giant vodka bottle topping up everyone's cups. Only problem is a 1 litre vodka bottle hardly fits on the tray table.

EDIT: Needless to say when we landed in CAI at 6am I was still pretty gone, thankfully (and surprisingly) you can buy beer in the domestic terminal, nothing like a beer to wash away a hangover. I slept like a baby on the hop to Sharm.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I..As far as drinking your own alcohol, it's explicitly forbidden on United. You can carry up to 3 oz in your carry on, but you can't drink it on board..
You mean as yet another reason not to fly UA?

Or you can aways use the Bavarian definition of 'alcohol' and defend that one should you get caught.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: China Air Emerald, Skyteam Elite Plus, SPG Platinum
i frequently bring the personal 50ml size bottles all the time in plastic bags through TSA. Delta and Jetblue have same policy and i have seen others been told of the same rule.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by superboxf1
i frequently bring the personal 50ml size bottles all the time in plastic bags through TSA. Delta and Jetblue have same policy and i have seen others been told of the same rule.
And then do you drink them on the plane?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:03 pm

Why not follow da rulez and da law?

Get terminally tanked at the lounge, right before boarding - then everyone is happy!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by weero
Why not follow da rulez and da law?

Get terminally tanked at the lounge, right before boarding - then everyone is happy!
Of course, then they're not supposed to let you board.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Originally Posted by sethb
THIS.

Also, I don't think it's just UA. I recently moved to SEA. I think the TSB bans it all up in the US, no? At least the Canadian TSB in Canada does (where I moved from)
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by above.the.clouds
THIS.

Also, I don't think it's just UA. I recently moved to SEA. I think the TSB bans it all up in the US, no? At least the Canadian TSB in Canada does (where I moved from)
I don't know what TSB is but AFAIK passengers may only consume alcohol served by FAs on board USA carriers. I suspect it's an FAA (safety) regulation.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:03 pm

The trick is to refrain from hugging, kicking, or vomiting onto FAs while boarding ... once the doors are closed, you'd have to misbehave news worthily in order to be deplaned.

We had three of these specimen on SYD-SFO ... one of them did actually vomit in the finger while oscillating toward the plane. But that did not trigger any suspicion of the crew. Neither did the barfing on board ... but a full stream onto an FA during taxi did trigger the return to the gate.
I don't know what TSB is but AFAIK passengers may only consume alcohol served by FAs on board USA carriers. I suspect it's an FAA (safety) regulation.
Sure ... but if you ride to Asia, Europe, or the Land of Oz, the FAA very soon is miles away and won't come to get you.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I said some, not necessarily Kuwait. I definitely wouldn't bet on Saudia either. Gulf Air or whatever it's called might be an example.
Considering Kuwait biz fares (yes, I know...) on JFK-LHR route, I would seriously consider them if they were BYOB-tolerant.

Originally Posted by closetasfan
When returning to US from NRT on an airline that doesn't serve alcohol for free I do this routinely. I buy beer and sake at convenience stores inside security. I drink it discretely, but I don't think they can tell the difference. It looks like the drinks they serve onboard. And I don't think they really care as I don't put that much effort into hiding myself.
Ah... NRT... Mrs and I decided to sample every single sake/shochu that they serve in the NH lounge. Needless to stay, getting on the plane was "interesting". We decided to continue the party onboard the Continental 777... 14 hours to kill and everything... even my sober self now believes that the purser was a douche. Everything was saved by the flight attendant - conversation went on something like this -

FA to me: "Are you driving when we land?"
Me: "Absolutely not."
FA to purser: "They're not being violent, stupid, abusive... what's the issue?"
FA to me: "Would you like more sake?"

See the other post I just made about the NRT lounge. We had enough strength to compose ourselves during boarding and wait for departure. Then.......

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 17, 2015 at 9:28 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member; suggest using multi-quote feature.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Ah... NRT... Mrs and I decided to sample every single sake/shochu that they serve in the NH lounge. Needless to stay, getting on the plane was "interesting". We decided to continue the party onboard the Continental 777... 14 hours to kill and everything... even my sober self now believes that the purser was a douche. Everything was saved by the flight attendant - conversation went on something like this -

FA to me: "Are you driving when we land?"
Me: "Absolutely not."
FA to purser: "They're not being violent, stupid, abusive... what's the issue?"
FA to me: "Would you like more sake?"
Because that could change if they gave you more alcohol?

Look I like my booze on planes. I have a reputation for it, but there are limits for a reason.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Because that could change if they gave you more alcohol?

Look I like my booze on planes. I have a reputation for it, but there are limits for a reason.
What could change?

Whole fallout with the purser started with Mrs begging to go to the bathroom while still on the ground and purser more or less taking up the line of "If you get hurt, you could sue us." which then transformed into "Do not serve them" which then transformed into the conversation in the previous post. Besides that, we were quietly sitting and working on our (not known at the time) horrendous hangover.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by herzmeh
What could change?

Whole fallout with the purser started with Mrs begging to go to the bathroom while still on the ground and purser more or less taking up the line of "If you get hurt, you could sue us." which then transformed into "Do not serve them" which then transformed into the conversation in the previous post. Besides that, we were quietly sitting and working on our (not known at the time) horrendous hangover.
Anger....hostility?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by chrisbarnett01
I have been given "road beers" in a few different lounges around the world, and carried them onto the plane without issue.

However, on an Air France flight I did get a dirty look from the FA when I gave her my empty 12 oz can.
Maybe that was because of the loud burp that accompanied the handoff...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Anger....hostility?
Possible, hard to say. Regardless, FA handled it well and de-escalated everything rather well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.