Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever consumed your own alcohol [that you brought onboard]?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JMN57
I've been liking a touch of elderflower in my G&Ts lately so I have a small 50ml bottle of St. Germain in my toiletry kit that allows me to put a touch into the drinks the FA brings me.
I do love a dab of St. Germain in my G&T! ^
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some foreign carriers that are "dry" allow you to bring your own alcohol. There can be a bar at your seat or the FAs can serve it.
Brought my own on MS a few times. While I didn't see any official word, reviews said BYOB was tolerated. I heard not a word about it from the FAs, though I did try to be discrete.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
That stuff is like acetone. I have no idea how you drink a G&T.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Kuwait? Nah, doubt it...
I said some, not necessarily Kuwait. I definitely wouldn't bet on Saudia either. Gulf Air or whatever it's called might be an example.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I once brought some beer on my flight. I did not think anything about it. The FA noticed and said it was not allowed but let me drink it anyways. I was more discrete with the rest of the cans :-).

Another time the wife and I brought a liter of wine on board for the long trip back from SA to the states. We did not drink it cause we got an opt up.

Of course both trips were before the TSA crap fest over liquids.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by herzmeh
Kuwait? Nah, doubt it...
I don't remember which airlines they are, but I've been on several between Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi. All serve beer.

As far as drinking your own alcohol, it's explicitly forbidden on United. You can carry up to 3 oz in your carry on, but you can't drink it on board.

UA CoC

Up to 3 oz. (100ml) of an alcoholic beverage may be taken through the security checkpoint provided it is less than 70 percent alcohol by volume, in a container that is 3 oz. or smaller, and is carried in a plastic zip-top bag.

Alcohol transported on an airplane cannot be consumed on board.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes, I'm very particular about my bourbon. I bring 2 mini bottles in my liquids bag for flights over 2 hours unless one I enjoy is served onboard. Sometimes I get the short end of the stick from catering but that's not the end of the world.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:25 pm
formerly chrisbarnett01

I have been given "road beers" in a few different lounges around the world, and carried them onto the plane without issue.

However, on an Air France flight I did get a dirty look from the FA when I gave her my empty 12 oz can.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:32 pm

Crazy Friends

I had some crazy friends on a MUN (university level Model United Nations) trip bring really big coffee cups onboard filled with cherry whiskey. The FA found them incoherent and practically unable to sit up.

I was asked (I was in charge) if they were diabetic and I simply told the FA that they'd had too much to drink. Didn't bother saying they had brought their own booze.

When I drank, I frequently ordered a bourbon, a whiskey and a beer. My friends didn't think anything of it. As long as it's 40% alcohol, any kind of whiskey would do. Sometimes it's cheaper to get a drink onboard than it is at the airport bar. This is without lounge access.

C.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I don't remember which airlines they are, but I've been on several between Kuwait, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi. All serve beer.

As far as drinking your own alcohol, it's explicitly forbidden on United. You can carry up to 3 oz in your carry on, but you can't drink it on board.

UA CoC
I've carried on 4 100ml bottles of scotch (but didn't consume any on board). The TSA didn't care; they fit in the quart bag.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some foreign carriers that are "dry" allow you to bring your own alcohol. There can be a bar at your seat or the FAs can serve it.
Royal Brunei used to allow this, I don't know if they still do, Brunei has become more conservative in the recent past.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC at one point FT has a sort of master thread about policy details for dry airlines and dry airport lounges, including differences for Ramadan. You might be able to check there whether the Royal Brunei policy has changed.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:31 pm

Back in the 90s, I used to pack lunches/snacks for my husband and I to eat mid flight. I always took along a 4-pack of champagne. At the time, I was ignorant of any restrictions against it. We didn't hide it and also never were told it was not allowed by a FA. (Oh to be young and carefree again!)

Originally Posted by chrisbarnett01
I have been given "road beers" in a few different lounges around the world, and carried them onto the plane without issue.
I took a "roadie" of wine from an airport bar recently on to a flight. The bartender must have given me the cup (it was a paper coffee cup) because I don't drink coffee (meaning it wasn't my cup). I finished it prior to take off and just handed the empty cup to the FA.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
When returning to US from NRT on an airline that doesn't serve alcohol for free I do this routinely. I buy beer and sake at convenience stores inside security. I drink it discretely, but I don't think they can tell the difference. It looks like the drinks they serve onboard. And I don't think they really care as I don't put that much effort into hiding myself.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Just saw your reply. Getting about cocktail hour here, think I'll fire up one of these right now.

Last edited by JMN57; Nov 11, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.