Reload this Page >

Depressed before travel

Depressed before travel

Old Nov 4, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Depressed before travel

I'm hoping to hear it's not just me....

I get so depressed and sad before traveling, business or personal, that I spend the week before trying to find ways to get out of it. I can't ever find a valid reason not to go, of course.

Once I board my first flight, I'm fine, but before that? I hate the packing, the drive to the airport, dealing with security, sitting at the airport. I just want to be home.

I don't even travel that much either. So what gives?
hamzatalk likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Depressed before travel

Maybe your a home body ?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm the opposite. Depressed when I'm not traveling.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:34 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold
Depressed before travel

I get depressed when I board my return flight home. Thinking about same old routine!!!!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by fotographer
Maybe your a home body ?
Maybe you're a home body. That may be the case.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gotofly
I get depressed when I board my return flight home. Thinking about same old routine!!!!
I'm the opposite. The feeling of a job well done and heading home is a great feeling for me!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:25 pm

Back in the old days, I loved to fly and looked forward to all of it.

Now, while I don't try to get out of it, there is a loss of control over so much of the travel to and from, that it is something I vow to get through rather than something to look forward to. I can imagine that for some, it is pretty depressing.

What works for me is to try to hang on to some of the adventure of it all, despite the hours of mundane. Seeing the faces of people who don't travel going overseas for the first time, or the excitement novices have with a domestic flight helps capture it.

I don't think it is unusual and recommend that you find your fun amidst what is now realistically a chore. It can be done!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by gotofly
+1
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I am usually happy to travel and am also usually happy to get home. Not depressed in either locale. But, when my kids were younger, I did sometimes regret going away. And, very occasionally, when I have way too much traveling (arrive Friday late from Europe and leave Saturday afternoon for next trip), I do feel a bit sad. But my work is sufficiently interesting that this goes away quickly.

So, for the OP, I would suggest thinking about two things:

1. Consider whether you should have a job that involves travel or whether you would be happier with a job that keeps you at home.
2. Consider cognitive behavioral therapy to help adjust your attitude/approach and eliminate the depression.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Maybe you're a home body. That may be the case.
Maybe - although if that was the case, I think I'd feel worse once I boarded, not better.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by shawbridge
So, for the OP, I would suggest thinking about two things:

1. Consider whether you should have a job that involves travel or whether you would be happier with a job that keeps you at home.
2. Consider cognitive behavioral therapy to help adjust your attitude/approach and eliminate the depression.
Or....have a few to drink.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Maybe - although if that was the case, I think I'd feel worse once I boarded, not better.
My reply wasn't directed towards you.

It was actually directed towards the poster I replied to.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:48 pm

Its definitely not just you, my SO is much the same way. As much as I don't like the whole airport experience (I don't know anybody who does), I tend to see it as a challenge and I enjoy trying to find ways to make it easier. For her, on the other hand, its nothing more than an annoyance.

Like you, she's perfectly fine and happy once we're at our destination, but it causes much more anxiety for her than for me.

While people tend to glamorize travel, there's nothing wrong being content just sticking with what you're comfortable with.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I'm hoping to hear it's not just me....

I get so depressed and sad before traveling, business or personal, that I spend the week before trying to find ways to get out of it. I can't ever find a valid reason not to go, of course.

Once I board my first flight, I'm fine, but before that? I hate the packing, the drive to the airport, dealing with security, sitting at the airport. I just want to be home.

I don't even travel that much either. So what gives?
Depressed? No. Melancholy would be a better word.

Most of my travel includes long stays (1-3 months) at a destination. So when I leave it's almost like leaving home.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Its definitely not just you, my SO is much the same way. As much as I don't like the whole airport experience (I don't know anybody who does), I tend to see it as a challenge and I enjoy trying to find ways to make it easier. For her, on the other hand, its nothing more than an annoyance.

Like you, she's perfectly fine and happy once we're at our destination, but it causes much more anxiety for her than for me.

While people tend to glamorize travel, there's nothing wrong being content just sticking with what you're comfortable with.
Mrs. NYTA is the same way. She likes BEING in other places, she just hates GETTING to other places. She puts off packing as late as possible and is generally miserable throughout the process. Interestingly when it's just her and the kids traveling she manages to pull herself together but when it's all of us as a family, she's often the most difficult child in the bunch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.