flight attendants out of control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flight attendants out of control?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I saw a blurb about this on Fox News. Apparently it had something to do with a thing called a "Knee Defender".
It had something to do with a Knee Defender...? On Fox News? Really?

Here's a link to the Fox News story: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/1...on-and-called/
No Knee Defender.

And 2 weeks ago, when a man choked a woman for reclining her seat on a Southwest flight from LAX to SFO...?
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...019-story.html
No Knee Defender there, either.

FYI.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Perhaps he was looking at this older Fox new story where a Knee Defender caused a fight, after someone tried to used the product on United, which "prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines"
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/0...ght-air-scrum/

Originally Posted by Knee Defender
And 2 weeks ago, when a man choked a woman for reclining her seat on a Southwest flight from LAX to SFO...?

No Knee Defender there, either.
FYI.
Nope, that was on Southwest, where it's also banned.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Perhaps he was looking at this older Fox new story where a Knee Defender caused a fight, after someone tried to used the product on United, which "prohibits use of the device, like all major U.S. airlines"
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/0...ght-air-scrum/

Nope, that was on Southwest, where it's also banned.
CoC
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP has any good statistics on the # of security incidents resulting in off-loading, it would be great if he posted them. Otherwise, this is just another media hype incident which seems pretty clear:

1. Must obey crewmember instructions.
2. Don't film or record crew members onboard (not only a safety & security issue, but there are plenty of whacko stalkers out there).
Please cite the legal basis for both those statements, and the sub clause - because no matter how many times you repeat it, it doesn't become true.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
How about video and audio monitoring in the passenger cabin?

This way we always have that ever important "yeah but what was said BEFORE they turned on their phone" footage.

Or FAs need to wear body cams?

double

My call in this case was this guy was a prick and deserved to be abused. AND the flight attendant abused their authority. Both
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:37 am
Suspended

Basically, FA's based in the US are the worst in the business. They are rude, act like they are performing brain surgery, and they look so unhappy one would assume they are going through labor if they weren't performing their duties.

On the international airlines I've flown, I've had nothing but friendly and courteous FA's, not to mention the fact that they dress like women and appear to have seen the inside of a gym recently.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Please cite the legal basis for both those statements, and the sub clause - because no matter how many times you repeat it, it doesn't become true.
Contract law. For example, United's Contract of Carriage says, in part:

RULE 21 REFUSAL TO TRANSPORT
UA shall have the right to refuse to transport or shall have the right to remove from the aircraft at any point, any Passenger for the following reasons:
A) Breach of Contract of Carriage – Failure by Passenger to comply with the Rules of the Contract of Carriage.
H) Safety – Whenever refusal or removal of a Passenger may be necessary for the safety of such Passenger or other Passengers or members of the crew including, but not limited to:
2) Passengers who fail to comply with or interfere with the duties of the members of the flight crew, federal regulations, or security directives;
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
One article has a link to her FB page where she tells her side of the story.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...375195&fref=nf

I'm sorry, but when someone is that illiterate, to the point where you can't even follow what she's saying, I just can't get on her side. She comes off as an entitled DYKWIA who actually isn't anyone.

Just my gut feeling after reading her page.
Perhaps you should modify your gut feeling. It's pretty clear to me that English is not her first language (I'm guessing Hebrew for that, based on her Friends list).
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:14 am

3 million people fly everyday without incident; we get reports like this maybe once per day. I would say, almost without exception, by simple logic, that there is a good reason to toss them. If it was simply crews on power trips, there would be a whole lot more people being tossed.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
If it was simply crews on power trips, there would be a whole lot more people being tossed.
Not necessarily, most people despise American FA's. But, despite that hatred, most people have the common sense to realize that they better just do what the FA's tell them to do because the crew, captains, airlines, and security will pretty much take whatever the FA says as gospel truth and the conversation ends there.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
3 million people fly everyday without incident; we get reports like this maybe once per day. I would say, almost without exception, by simple logic, that there is a good reason to toss them. If it was simply crews on power trips, there would be a whole lot more people being tossed.
sounds about like the right number. in over 50 years of flying, and thousands of flights, i have never seen any FA misbehavior.

i have received a lot of kindnesses from both FA,s and passengers. TSA is another matter.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Quote:
most people despise American FA's.
Really!! And you base your comment on what a few negative post on a forum?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Basically, FA's based in the US are the worst in the business. They are rude, act like they are performing brain surgery, and they look so unhappy one would assume they are going through labor if they weren't performing their duties.

On the international airlines I've flown, I've had nothing but friendly and courteous FA's, not to mention the fact that they dress like women and appear to have seen the inside of a gym recently.
[Edit] where's the [Edit] LIKE button when you need it???

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 30, 2015 at 8:23 am Reason: Edited by Moderator per FT Rules.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

This really gets into a bigger issue: do you trust what is said in the media? According to the media ( see the link somebody provided regarding this incident on the first page ) the initial conflict seem to have resolved but it is stated the FA returned to this PAX and started up with him. Obviously that's an entirely different situation.

It may be the adage : a dog biting a man is not news, but a man biting the dog is. Sure, unruly passengers get kicked off all the time, but an FA going berserk would sell a lot more newspapers.

So again, who knows what really happened? But they do cite witnesses who sided with the PAX
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Contract law. For example, United's Contract of Carriage says, in part:
Good luck arguing the events (as described) qualify as a threat to anything other than the FA's autoritah. The CoC would also run into a small problem in that they attempt to extend law beyond what is actually on the books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.