Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passport expiration requirements

Old Oct 11, 15, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

France requires: "PASSPORT VALIDITY:
Must be valid for a minimum of six months at entry, and valid for an additional three months beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area. Please note that “emergency passports” issued by U.S. Embassies and Consulates overseas may not be accepted for entry into France. " http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/france.html

We intend to to arrive in France five days before the six month point and leave one day before. Is this likely to cause a problem? (US passport)

We will be arriving from the UK by the Eurostar train (after having flown from the US and stayed a few days). The UK only requires "PASSPORT VALIDITY: Must be valid for duration of your stay" http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...d-kingdom.html

Will we even encounter passport control entering France? I'd think not, given UK and France are both Schengen countries, which may moot the issue? I see that Eurostar wants to see a passport http://www.eurostar.com/us-en/travel...-trip/check-in, but do they check more than identity?

Last edited by richarddd; Oct 11, 15 at 5:25 pm
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As a starting point, the UK is not in Schengen.

2. Your passport does not meet the requirement for France as it is not valid for three months after the date of departure. You will most likely be denied entry to France. Possible to make it in? Sure. Just far from likely.

Just get your passport renewed. If your travel is soon, pay the expedite fees. If it is really soon, you list your residence as NYC and can obtain a new passport at the NY Passport Agency if your travel is imminent, e.g. the next few days. Just be prepared to pay the fees and blow a day hanging around.
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
<snip>
2. Your passport does not meet the requirement for France as it is not valid for three months after the date of departure. You will most likely be denied entry to France. Possible to make it in? Sure. Just far from likely.
The passport will be valid for six months and five days from arrival and six months and one day from departure. That's more than three months from departure.

Good point on UK, so we will have to go through passport control on entry to France.
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It is not clear to me. How many days are you going to be in France?
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
It is not clear to me. How many days are you going to be in France?
Four days. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K

I'm sorry but I have to chuckle that this has turned into a math problem. The OP gave their arrival and departure relative to the six month expiration of their passport
Old Oct 11, 15, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Good point on UK, so we will have to go through passport control on entry to France."

Sort of. You will be "admitted" to France at the Eurostar St. Pancras Terminal in London. (Kind of like US pre-clearance at several Canadian airports.)
Old Oct 12, 15, 1:54 am

Based on bitter personal experience at airports the system may not allow you to enter France if you don't have the correct validity.

My wife (US citizen) was denied boarding for Iceland from UK on pretty much the same basis as you describe. The Passenger Information pre-flight requirement noted a short passport validity and would not permit the gate agent to issue a boarding card. Cue gnashing of teeth etc.

I endorse earlier comments - not worth the hassle. Get a new passport
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci View Post
Based on bitter personal experience at airports the system may not allow you to enter France if you don't have the correct validity.<snip>
We will have the correct validity, but only by a few days. If they enforce the regulations as reported by the US State Dept, it wouldn't seem a problem.

Rule is six months entry on entry, we'll have six months and a few days (three months requirement on exit will be met easily). Concern is an over-zealous officer will not accept that.

Caution may well be the best course, but I'm curious about the practice.
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Good point on UK, so we will have to go through passport control on entry to France."

Sort of. You will be "admitted" to France at the Eurostar St. Pancras Terminal in London. (Kind of like US pre-clearance at several Canadian airports.)
Will this be by a French official or a Eurostar employee?
Old Oct 12, 15, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
The wording "...an additional three months beyond..." is at best misleading/confusing, and at worst incorrect. To me this reads at least six months at entry, at least nine months at exit, which is illogical and not the intended wording.
Old Oct 12, 15, 7:31 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And I read it such that if you only have 6 months at entry, you must depart within 90 days of entry.

In any event, it is a silly risk to take as, if your plans change for good or bad reasons, e.g. sickness or injury, you are stuck with a visit to the US Consulate to obtain an emergency document (not that you need it for entry to the US, but more than likely, to board an aircraft).
Old Oct 12, 15, 8:14 am

Programs: AC Prestige
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Will this be by a French official or a Eurostar employee?
They are French officials. At St. Pancras, you scan your ticket at the gate into the international area, go through security, then have your passport stamped.

I went through in May and the luggage xray broke down with my suitcase in it :-(
Old Oct 12, 15, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
if OP's schedule permits, renewing the passport before departure from the US certainly seems to be the way to reduce the risk of disruption by French passport control to almost zero
Old Oct 12, 15, 9:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the OP returning directly to the USA from France? Is there a confirmed plane reservation and ticket receipt to document the planned departure date?

Sin months and one day should be fine, but I would carry a TIMATIC printout.

Search this Thread