Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger Hall of Shame

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Passenger Hall of Shame

I just published a new blog post: First Class, Low Class, No Class: the Passenger Hall of Shame. What is it about flying that brings out the worst in people?

I’m old enough to remember when people dressed up to fly. I remember my dad putting on a tie before we left for the airport. And that was on a trip to Florida, of all places, as recently as the early 1980s. Of course, one of the reasons that people once took flying so seriously, is that so few of them had the means to partake in it. Flying today is far cheaper than it used to be, and as a result, almost everybody does it.

And as the demographics have changed, so have the levels of behavior. This we’d expect. With nearly four million people flying every day of the week, across every strata of culture and class the world over, standards of decorum are going to fall. That’s fine, and I don’t want to sound snobbish about it. Maintaining simple dignity doesn’t require anything too formal. I have no problem, for example, with people wearing shorts and sandals onto a plane.

But there comes a point, and what I do have a problem with, is the idea that otherwise reasonable protocols of civility, manners and courtesy cease to apply when you’re at an airport or on an airplane.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear other flyers' theories as to what drives all of this. The article I published, which includes a couple of funny (revolting?) photos, is here...

http://www.askthepilot.com/passenger-shame/

Patrick Smith
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
If you're surprised by the bare feet situation, then you've been spending too much time in the cockpit -- it happens so frequently I hardly even notice anymore. As a devotee of Row 1 bulkhead seats I never even touch the inflight magazines or the bulkhead-mounted pouch that holds them, because I know with absolute certainty that the soles of someone's shoes or their bare feet have been all over them.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by GateHold
And as the demographics have changed, so have the levels of behavior. This we’d expect.
Also can't forget that the behavior of the airlines has also changed to support flying as a commodity instead of a luxury. Considering how uncomfortable deep discount Y is these days, I imagine it's difficult for people to wear anything that would make them any more uncomfortable than they already are.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
The airlines have contributed to it. When the airline nickles and dimes you, squeezes you into ever smaller spaces, has often rude or rushed employees, and a complete deterioration in service, I'm not surprised that people head into flying with an attitude of belligerence. That said, it doesn't excuse rude or disgusting behaviour, but it does start to explain some of it.

I'm totally cool with casual clothes, so long as they are clean and cover the basics. I wear tshirts and track pants because otherwise I'm uncomfortable. But politeness and manners are, IMHO, the more important elements
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
In other news, dog bites man.

Sadly, this is one of the most common topics on FT. I would venture to guess that posters add threads describing situations they encounter nearly every day. It's become the "new normal".
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I certainly remember dressing up to fly. As a child of four and seven my recollection is that I wore a little suit. When going to summer camp I wore a tie at least some years. My dad dressed up. During my childhood my father always wore a suit to fly, but that changed over the years as everyone quit dressing up.

There are studies that show that dress affects behavior, with better dress correlating with better behavior. I don't think the public wants to wear a suit and tie to fly, but it wouldn't hurt for the airlines to have some sort of dress code.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:18 am

Flying for me is just something to "get through" before I finally get to my destination. Getting to the airport early, getting through security without causing any undue delays and then waiting forever to board - because security went quicker than I thought. It is full of anxiety, boredom and just plain not pleasant for me. I dress comfortably because I am going to be squashed into an economy seat for hours upon hours.

That being said, I am still out in public. It would never occur to me to put my bare feet all over the place, clip my toenails or fingernails - are you kidding??? disgusting!, or be rude to anyone I come across.

I did not fly "back in the day", so I do not have the recall of people flying totally dressed in suits, ties and dresses - but in this day and age of flying economy, that would be so uncomfortable! You are hardly able to move once you are in your seat, so I would be claustrophobic if I had layers upon layers of clothes on.

Oh, if I could only afford to fly first.........lol
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I certainly remember dressing up to fly. As a child of four and seven my recollection is that I wore a little suit. When going to summer camp I wore a tie at least some years. My dad dressed up. During my childhood my father always wore a suit to fly, but that changed over the years as everyone quit dressing up.

There are studies that show that dress affects behavior, with better dress correlating with better behavior. I don't think the public wants to wear a suit and tie to fly, but it wouldn't hurt for the airlines to have some sort of dress code.
One of my favourite pictures is my brother and I going on a trip from Melbourne to Tasmania. Mum had dressed my brother and I in our best and had lovingly taken a picture of us standing in front of the house. I can imagine the pride she felt that she was taking her 2 kids on a trip and thought they looked mighty fine.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I still dress up to fly, especially when I'm flying internationally. However, my standards only apply to a single person: me. I don't worry about what anyone else is doing unless it directly affects me. I suggest the OP adopt a similar attitude, it makes life so much more enjoyable.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:16 pm

always look presentable
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I still dress up to fly, especially when I'm flying internationally. However, my standards only apply to a single person: me. I don't worry about what anyone else is doing unless it directly affects me. I suggest the OP adopt a similar attitude, it makes life so much more enjoyable.
Amen, amen, amen, and ya know what? People appreciate and notice when you still dress to fly and don't act like you are sitting on your couch at home!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

I pretty much always travel in comfortable clothes - typically sweats and sneakers. But they are always clean and presentable (unless the airline has lost my luggage and I'm forced to wear the same outfit multiple days in a row).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
People appreciate and notice when you still dress to fly
I don't. Couldn't care less what anyone else on the plane is wearing, so long as public health isn't impacted adversely.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Madone59
Amen, amen, amen, and ya know what? People appreciate and notice when you still dress to fly and don't act like you are sitting on your couch at home!
I recall F pax change into their airline-provided PJs as soon as they board. How is that different from Y pax wearing similarly comfortable outfits for the long-haul journey?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.