Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bring food out from USA? say Frozen Dry Aged Steak?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bring food out from USA? say Frozen Dry Aged Steak?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Question Bring food out from USA? say Frozen Dry Aged Steak?

I wonder if there is any restrictions on bringing Frozen Food on outbound USA flight? Say, Frozen Dry Aged Steak? in luggage? or even carry on?

I had no problem on bringing couple pounds of prosciutto out of USA in the past.. but not sure about Frozen food though

Anyone Tried?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:42 am

I doubt if the USA would care about food taken out of the country. It would be up to the country you are entering. Make sure you declare it if required. You also need to decide if the hassle and potential confiscation is worth it.
Some countries like Australia take quarrentine very seriously so dont try to hide or conceal your food.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just buy some good steak when you get home. That way, the drug sniffing dogs won't get all excited about your bags.

Really, how in the world could it be worth the hassle?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I cannot see any reason to bring food out of the US unless you are going to a developing country, are partial to American HFCS confectionery, or you've bought it already and it would otherwise go in the bin. Food at your destination is always going to be of higher quality. Even your expensive steak is going to thaw out and refreeze several times in your checked luggage, or just thaw out in your cabin luggage.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
I don't know where you plan to take it, but it's forbidden to bring any meat or diary products into the EU.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...l/index_en.htm
Please don't do it.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:25 am

and why would you want to take US beef other countries? You should appreciate that they don't sell it there...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Why would you want to do this?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

kettle1/TaipeiWang

Just for gift and personal consumption. there aren't many places overseas can get a good aged steak with a OK price.

It's a simple fact that you won't get the same taste and authentic Home grown food in overseas. e.g. It's not easy or it is not many Good Taiwanese food in the USA
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

If you're going to do it then get the best freezer bag and ice packs you can at least.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by grozzy
I doubt if the USA would care about food taken out of the country. It would be up to the country you are entering. Make sure you declare it if required. You also need to decide if the hassle and potential confiscation is worth it.
Some countries like Australia take quarantine very seriously so don't try to hide or conceal your food.
This applies to New Zealand, too.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though I don't know if the TSA will let you through security with lots of melting ice, or with dry ice. I'm pretty sure they won't let you through with cold gel packs.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

I found many good places vacuum the meat.. so I am not so worried to even travel over 24+ hours; however, more concern on the regulations

For sure EU and AU/NZ has much tougher rules compare with other countries...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's more about the restrictions of the country you propose to bring the meat to. The US government/customs don't care what you take out of the country. Except cash $10k and more.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't believe that you can use dry ice in checked luggage, but TSA isn't going to care about ice itself. The US could care less if you export the beef. You may find that your destination and connection countries care a great deal.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Yes, if it's allowed into where you're traveling, no otherwise. Dogs are really good at detecting meat; they love that assignment.

As for the amazing array of ignorance about the relative quality of US dry-aged prime beef vs. the rest of the world in some of responses above, just wow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.