Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which would you choose? Japan Air economy or China Air Business?

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

You have a choice, and this is the only choice you get

Flying from BKK to LAX, Japan Airlines in economy at a fare of $687, or China Airlines Business class at a fare of $1543. JAL's business class fare is $2100+

Which would you choose? why?

Thanks a million!

Oh, and it is a 17 1/2 hour flight with one stop.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:26 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
It is almost always better to travel business class. However if I was going to pay $1543 for China Airlines business, I would pay $2100 for Japan Airlines business instead.

Have you ruled out JL J because you can't afford it? If so you are probably stretching to afford CI J, so perhaps look at Y options. There are many others options from BKK to LAX too..

Buying miles from one of several different airlines should allow you to do it cheaper in J, subject to award availability.

Last edited by nux; Oct 5, 2015 at 7:32 am
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:31 am

Depends how much money you have
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Well, yes, there are other airlines, but those two I mentioned are the lowest fares currently showing up on skyscanner. I don't have any miles to use currently, at least not on either of those airlines, but that is a great idea! Remember, I said the above was your only choice!!

I just hate to spend so much money, but it is a really long flight and I am dreading it. I prefer to do shorter trips and take longer, but I am now ready to just suck it up and go back to LAX. I have been gone a year now. Just trying to make my travel dollars go as far as possible!

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hot2trot
I don't have any miles to use currently, at least not on either of those airlines, but that is a great idea!
I meant for example buying AA miles to allow you to book on oneworld partners, or AV for *A. However really depends on when you're wanting to travel and if you can wait for a miles sale.

I just hate to spend so much money, but it is a really long flight and I am dreading it. I prefer to do shorter trips and take longer, but I am now ready to just suck it up and go back to LAX. I have been gone a year now. Just trying to make my travel dollars go as far as possible!
Then book the cheapest economy fare. Only you can determine whether it is worth paying $900 extra to travel in business class, and what you will forgo to afford it.
Cost being equal, there is no question that CI J is better than JL Y.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

I need to do this Oct 8th or 8th. My Thai Visa expires and I don't want to renew it. I have been here 3 months now. Otherwise, you are SO right about buying miles. I am a AA Advantage member so I get the emails when they have the specials.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Has anyone experienced China Airlines? I know Japan Airlines has great reviews.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:59 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to do this Oct 8th or 8th. My Thai Visa expires and I don't want to renew it. I have been here 3 months now. Otherwise, you are SO right about buying miles. I am a AA Advantage member so I get the emails when they have the specials.
You have left it far too late to get secure a low fare, so you'll just need to work out whether you are willing to pay the extra to travel business or not, and whether to pay extra for a better airline or more direct routing.

I would suggest you look in the following sections, and do a search for "China Airlines" in each one. Thousands of people travel with them every day in economy and survive.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-airlines-470/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:19 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've done regional CI J (CGK-TPE; BKK-KHH). Service was never the issue, but nothing else really stood out. Still, it is better than Y.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback. I checked prices for the next month, and it doesn't make a difference booking two days or twenty. Go figure. Apparently it is low travel season.

Appreciate it guys! (and gals)
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
China Airlines in C, hands down.

http://thedesignair.net/2014/06/06/t...lass-may-2014/

http://www.airlinequality.com/airlin...hina-airlines/
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:54 pm

J class any day, esp for a brutal 17+ hr journey... I dunno how old you are, but gathering from you gone backpacking in SE Asia for a year, I'm guessing you're young. still if you've ever flown primo cabins before, its hard to go back to Y esp for longer, intl flights.

not a fan of CI or any other chinese airline (cept CX if that counts) so if I were you, I'd find a way to do this in JL J etc.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:17 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HouFly
J class any day, esp for a brutal 17+ hr journey... I dunno how old you are, but gathering from you gone backpacking in SE Asia for a year, I'm guessing you're young. still if you've ever flown primo cabins before, its hard to go back to Y esp for longer, intl flights.

not a fan of CI or any other chinese airline (cept CX if that counts) so if I were you, I'd find a way to do this in JL J etc.
Wouldn't really call CI (or BR) a Chinese airline...probably because they're not.
(and for the dissenters that need proof, try getting on a CI/BR flight that overflies the mainland to Europe.)

That said, substituting JL J for J on any of the above-listed carriers would be a certain upgrade.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Well, thanks all, I sucked it up and bought a business class on Japan Airlines which was a code share with American. $2145. It didn't matter when I went, anytime in the next month, the price was the same. So much for advance tickets. brother.... Well, I just can't handle long flights, but in Biz, it is much better. And yes, once you go Biz for long hauls, it's hard to do anything else. All my other long flights were Biz.

I was just afraid of getting stuck in Taipei. Too many reviews mentioned problems with that connection.

Oh, BTW, I am over 62!!! (But don't tell!)
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Wouldn't really call CI (or BR) a Chinese airline...probably because they're not.
ok I'll bite, how exactly is an airline named China Airlines not a Chinese airline?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.