Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sir, here is your Muslim Meal.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trikotret
Muslim meal is not necessarily only Indian food. It can be steak and eggs but the meat needs to be halal which is almost same as kosher. I think the airlines need to change the name to halal meals instead of Muslim meals. Muslims can have kosher meals if halal meals are not available. I hope that explains
An Orthodox Jewish colleague once told me, with a bit of a sniffle, that kosher requirements are more stringent than halal ones and that halal butchers take the animals that kosher butchers won't touch.

This was part of his trying to get our company to move its client lunches to the kosher steakhouse in Manhattan so he could have some of the leftovers we were always bringing back from BLT Steak.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Originally Posted by 84fiero
You're judging those people - assuming the worst of them - without any proof of their thoughts or motives.

There could be any number of reasons why they didn't chat with you after the initial period, having nothing to do with your having ordered a Muslim meal. Or they may have been making assumptions due to bigotry. No way to know based on what you've relayed about the situation.

You are just trying to " peel the hair" now with this argument. Human expressions aren't easy to put down in words that being said .. Judging someone is wrong but you weren't with him so you can't judge what OP saw and felt either.

Give him the benefit of doubt please....
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know lots of people who order Muslim/Moslem meals and then ask for wine, beer or whatever. Some of that meal and beverage mix service is because the special meal's being ordered as a matter of non-religious-based preference; and some of it is because some kind of religious food restrictions are more widely observed than some kind of religious-based beverage restrictions.

It comes up for bookings mostly as Moslem/Muslim meal.

I've got a kosher joke related to India, where a collection of Indian muslims assumed that a kosher meal was an Indian meal from a certain part of northern India. Oh the surprise when the food was relatively spice-less.

Hahahaha. Did someone tell them they are eating Jewish meal. ?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I usually request the Moslem meal, too. I find the quality of the food to be generally a fair bit better than the regular meals.

I am a Caucasian, blonde haired American Christian. Perhaps I don't look like who they're expecting as on the vast majority of my flights, the FA will come up to me sheepishly and ask if either I changed seats or if I ordered a special meal when taking orders.

You needn't be Muslim to enjoy a Moslem meal.

More than a few times, the pax next to me has commented how good my meal looked.
Bravo. We got be obove these things. Muslim meal is still human meal and if they enjoy our burgers, stakes and pasta why can't we can't we eat moslem meal. LOL
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:56 am

For us, selecting Hindu meals is the way to go on long-haul flights in order to get somewhat flavorful entrees, as opposed to the usual bland Western fare. It's always amusing watching the FAs hesitantly approach with the special meals, expecting some sort of mixup based on our appearances.

Originally Posted by enviroian
+1.

Ordering curry in an enclosed tube is very rude and borderline obnoxious.

TFB. If it's on the menu, it's fair game.

Last edited by dolcevita; Sep 12, 2015 at 12:23 pm
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM
I think that it's ignorance on the part of the caterers. You're analogy about Kosher meals not being called Jewish meals is spot on. I think that, while people will/won't have their own ignorances, such as the passengers next to you (I am not saying that they were accusing him or anything), you should go on with your day.

There are hundreds of people on that plane, you just happened to get stuck with them. They will continue living their lives and so will you.

To quote Max Ehrmann
Go placidly amid the noise and the haste
and remember what peace there may be in silence
As far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by greycap7
I think that it's ignorance on the part of the caterers. You're analogy about Kosher meals not being called Jewish meals is spot on.
Or just mere lazyness. Kosher meals' code is KSML, not JWML, ans halal is MOML, not HLML. So when reading it, one if naturaly inclined to read the gormer as "kosher" and the latter as "muslim/moslem".
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:03 pm

Could it be the letters/code used may end up being similar and cause confusion if they use H for halal? Could H being used for some different meal such as high fibre meal?

For some reason AC always screws up special meal requests. I had ordered the MOML but got served the AVML despite confirming a couple of times at time of booking and even on the phone with AC. Not an issue on other airlines though. Just AC
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by a310pilot
You are just trying to " peel the hair" now with this argument. Human expressions aren't easy to put down in words that being said .. Judging someone is wrong but you weren't with him so you can't judge what OP saw and felt either.

Give him the benefit of doubt please....
As I stated, the other passengers may have had bad motives or they may not have. There is nothing wrong with pointing out to the OP that he may wish to consider that his assumption as to their motives could be incorrect. That's not judging the OP.

The OP apparently didn't even contemplate the possibility that his assumption could be incorrect. There are usually 3 sides to every story, as they say.

No, none of us were there but likewise the OP can't know what the other passengers were thinking. Why must the OP be given the benefit of the doubt but not the other passengers?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:09 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by 84fiero
As I stated, the other passengers may have had bad motives or they may not have. There is nothing wrong with pointing out to the OP that he may wish to consider that his assumption as to their motives could be incorrect. That's not judging the OP.

The OP apparently didn't even contemplate the possibility that his assumption could be incorrect. There are usually 3 sides to every story, as they say.

No, none of us were there but likewise the OP can't know what the other passengers were thinking. Why must the OP be given the benefit of the doubt but not the other passengers?
OP wrote as he saw it and felt it. He gets the benefit of the doubt since we don't have other passengers posting here in opposition to his observations. like any story that gets posted on FT could be false or true. What if it never happened LOL. All I'm saying its hard to judge what he felt and saw. I'm sure his 2 paragraph post doesn't sum up the whole trip.

It's his version and I'm okay with it why? because these things and a lot worse do happen.

I've had a moslem lady in her burka decline to sit beside me... I didnt judge her as I know a bit about them and its probably something to do with religious beliefs. Although I could have made a big issue out of it...
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
It is time I order it myself one day and share my experience with everybody!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eugeniusz Bodo
It is time I order it myself one day and share my experience with everybody!
VOML on AC will get you the curry
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by a310pilot
OP wrote as he saw it and felt it. He gets the benefit of the doubt since we don't have other passengers posting here in opposition to his observations. like any story that gets posted on FT could be false or true. What if it never happened LOL. All I'm saying its hard to judge what he felt and saw. I'm sure his 2 paragraph post doesn't sum up the whole trip.

It's his version and I'm okay with it why? because these things and a lot worse do happen.

I've had a moslem lady in her burka decline to sit beside me... I didnt judge her as I know a bit about them and its probably something to do with religious beliefs. Although I could have made a big issue out of it...
I'm with 84fiero. There have been enough embellishments on FT that I will generally take these stories of racial/ethnic/religious bias with more than a few grains of salt. I could just as easily see someone being uncomfortable with the guy as I could them just tuning out the stranger.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:09 am

Even if the couple went silent because of that, so what? Is it any worse than if the trigger had instead been a copy of the Watchtower, a button saying "Rush is right!", the book of Mormon, a hammer & sickle pin, or a Hillary '16 screensaver? All these have well-known, controversial connotations and displaying them likely indicates the bearer is a true believer in that cause.

If the couple chooses to disengage, it's disconcerting that others would automatically assume it's done out of "ignorance" or "bad motives" rather than for philosophical/historical reasons or simply to avoid discussing politics or religion in polite company with someone who apparently has that as a central, defining characteristic. Ascribing that to "ignorance" says more about the speaker's view of others than it does about the subject.

Counting down to Omni...
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dolcevita
Even if the couple went silent because of that, so what? Is it any worse than if the trigger had instead been a copy of the Watchtower, a button saying "Rush is right!", the book of Mormon, a hammer & sickle pin, or a Hillary '16 screensaver? All these have well-known, controversial connotations and displaying them likely indicates the bearer is a true believer in that cause.

If the couple chooses to disengage, it's disconcerting that others would automatically assume it's done out of "ignorance" or "bad motives" rather than for philosophical/historical reasons or simply to avoid discussing politics or religion in polite company with someone who apparently has that as a central, defining characteristic. Ascribing that to "ignorance" says more about the speaker's view of others than it does about the subject.

Counting down to Omni...
Only because you want it to happen?

Because you want it to be like that?

Receiving delivery of a kosher meal or "Muslim/Moslem" meal resulting in bigots of some sort changing their willingness to deal with an indivual for no reason other than xenophobic prejudice is very much a real possibility and has taken place. Not always easy to determine that it has taken place, but sometimes it is rather easy to determine.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2015 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.