Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's it like traveling longhaul business class every few weeks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum

What's it like traveling longhaul business class every few weeks? I've done my share of frequent business travel, but it's mostly been shorthaul domestic flights in economy.

I'm already assuming I'll get really tired of flying ~17,000+ miles every two weeks, but it looks like that's what I'm in for. I'll have a week at home for every two weeks I'm away. Anticipating this will last about a year.

Any tips? I already stocked up on Airborne tablets, Vitamin C, and have loaded my laptop up with seasons of TV series that have been on my "to watch" list.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The good: Airline top tier elite status, lots of miles, staff at smaller stations are likely to quickly recognize you and give VIP (or at least CIP) treatment.

The bad: With all those miles, you want to vacation by not traveling.

The ugly: Feeling jet lagged for a not-insignificant fraction of your life.

It sounds like you'll be traveling to the same place, so the hotel you use is likely to also soon give VIP/CIP treatment (and you can make special requests, such as your favorite room or the storage of stuff for you), you'll get to know the local restaurants, etc. Hotel chain top tier elite status and lots of points to spend, but little desire to travel more. I suggest picking convenient local coffee house, bakery, small deli/grocer, etc. and becoming a regular at these places. Try to explore the area and make special plans for the weekends you spend at the destination. Would it make sense to take a fully furnished apartment rather than doing hotel stays?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The good: Airline top tier elite status, lots of miles, staff at smaller stations are likely to quickly recognize you and give VIP (or at least CIP) treatment.

The bad: With all those miles, you want to vacation by not traveling.

The ugly: Feeling jet lagged for a not-insignificant fraction of your life.

It sounds like you'll be traveling to the same place, so the hotel you use is likely to also soon give VIP/CIP treatment (and you can make special requests, such as your favorite room or the storage of stuff for you), you'll get to know the local restaurants, etc. Hotel chain top tier elite status and lots of points to spend, but little desire to travel more. I suggest picking convenient local coffee house, bakery, small deli/grocer, etc. and becoming a regular at these places. Try to explore the area and make special plans for the weekends you spend at the destination. Would it make sense to take a fully furnished apartment rather than doing hotel stays?
Thanks for the reply. I'll be staying at a hotel. It's a nice hotel (Intercontinental), but I'll have to start off with no status (Starwood is currently my preferred hotel chain for business travel).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ChiCityJetsetter
Thanks for the reply. I'll be staying at a hotel. It's a nice hotel (Intercontinental), but I'll have to start off with no status (Starwood is currently my preferred hotel chain for business travel).
Can you get a status match or challenge, perhaps through your employer? If not, you might try to negotiate some perks for the period before you've achieved status. Try to get to know some of the managers.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:14 pm

Amenity Kits

You collect a boatload of Amenity kits.

I save my unopened ones, put $5 in each and then give them to the homeless guys standing on the freeway off ramp.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:33 pm

I save mine and deliver several boxes or laundry baskets of them to a local shelter for battered women. I do the same with excess unused luxury hotel toiletries when they build up at home.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You can actually purchase status with Intercontinental. Just some food for thought.

http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...rms-conditions
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:41 pm

Can you get a status match or challenge, perhaps through your employer? If not, you might try to negotiate some perks for the period before you've achieved status. Try to get to know some of the managers.
In case you don't know this yet: You can just chat them up online, tell them what status you have with SPG and give them some info on your upcoming stays https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/chatFrameSet

They might offer you a challenge, even when starting from zero. Worked for me on Marriott and SPG.

Edit: This is directed at the OP, not you, MSPeconomist 8)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
You can actually purchase status with Intercontinental. Just some food for thought.

http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...rms-conditions
It doesn't seem to say how much it costs.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by guidospizza
In case you don't know this yet: You can just chat them up online, tell them what status you have with SPG and give them some info on your upcoming stays https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/chatFrameSet

They might offer you a challenge, even when starting from zero. Worked for me on Marriott and SPG.

Edit: This is directed at the OP, not you, MSPeconomist 8)
Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
It doesn't seem to say how much it costs.
Ambassadors enjoy benefits at all of our over 170 InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts around the world. Experience Ambassador benefits by joining today for only $200 USD.

I understand that by selecting this checkbox, I am authorising a charge of $200 USD to the payment card number provided for the purchase of InterContinental® Ambassador status.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:27 am

Grab the IHG Card and hit Spire Elite very quickly. At the very least, you'll start out as Plat after the sign-up bonus. There doesn't seem to be any advantage for being Ambassador over Spire Elite, rather SE seems cheaper with the same benefits.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I save mine and deliver several boxes or laundry baskets of them to a local shelter for battered women. I do the same with excess unused luxury hotel toiletries when they build up at home.
Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
It's still hard in business or first.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's hard, and seems to get harder, the whole time.

On flights, I settled quite quickly into a pattern of which flight to take (assuming you have a choice) and what to expect so that there are no surprises and no stresses. For me, that was key in making the travelling easier and less tiring.

Having said that, for me eastbound is a killer and over the years all I have been able to do is develop coping strategies to deal with periods of overwhelming tiredness after lunch for a period of several days - such as ensure I don't have boring meetings at that time, and that I'm not driving at that time. If necessary, I know to pull over and have a nap. No amount of sleep on the eastbound flight gets over this problem.

Finally, I rapidly tired of the same location at my travel destination. So, I abandoned the hotel elite bit quickly and I aim for more interesting accommodations, preferably in residential areas. I now shudder to consider the city centre, which is full of tourists and much prefer to mingle where "real" people live. If you can't find an apartment, I would recommend AirBnB or, better, VRBO for some stays at least until you find a nice area. Often non-chain hotels will end up being much nicer and more welcoming. The key is to personalise as much of the stay as possible, rather than spend your time in a soulless box.

Finally, as a thought, it appears your work will be two weeks on-site, one week off. Perhaps it would be better to try to extend the on-site and consolidate some of the off-site. This would reduce the travel and jet-lag, but also give more of an incentive to regard the on-site as a temporary home. Perhaps get your family or friends to visit etc. It all helps in the personalisation process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.