Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

15 Aug. 2015 software failure at Wash. en route FAA air traffic center snarls traffic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15 Aug. 2015 software failure at Wash. en route FAA air traffic center snarls traffic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Waiting to fly out of BOS and the gate just announced that an FAA tower in DC lost power and all flights have been stopped.

If you come across any info, please feel free to add.

Mike

Last edited by mikeef; Aug 15, 2015 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
DC FAA tower loses power; NE flights stopped

Sitting on UA 1939 at IAD gate C17 waiting to leave. They said it was a "computer problem" and no ETA.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flights delayed for destinations/arrivals between PHL and RDU.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
My brother is at BWI and his flight was canceled on WN and he was rebooked for tomorrow (the other option was standby for tonight if/when they get it fixed). They told him no option for other airports in the area as it was a problem affecting all of them. BWI website showing lots of cancels and delays. Going to be a long night for some...

ETA he's trying to get from BWI to BOS. Fortunately we have family in the area that he can stay with tonight as no voucher for a hotel or anything was offered. He was just able to retrieve his checked bag from luggage claim. He said there are over 1000 people down there right now trying to find their bags.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
DC FAA tower loses power; NE flights stopped

Nobody bothered to install a generator?
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Nobody bothered to install a generator?
Apparently, they did.

But they just started loading bags, so I think we're good.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This outage occurred at the regional FAA Center in Va. which controls high altitude, en route traffic over several Mid Atlantic states surrounding the Capitol. These centers also have functions affecting airports and tracons in their respective areas, hence the traffic impact seen at airports.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
15 Aug. 2015 Power outage at Wash. en route FAA air traffic center snarls traffic.

The computer system at ZDC (Washington En-route) failed. All overflight traffic is being rerouted around the airspace. The Potomac Approach airports (big ones being IAD/DCA/BWI) are not letting a/c depart now. DCA is not taking arrivals due to gridlock (nowhere to park new planes) but IAD and BWI are still accepting some arrivals for now.

it is an eerie black hole on the radar scope in ZDC airspace
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There is now a passenger walking around the plane doing w pool on what time we go wheels-up. The pool is up to $125. This is not a joke.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mikeef
There is now a passenger walking around the plane doing w pool on what time we go wheels-up. The pool is up to $125. This is not a joke.

Mike
I would take disembarking and cancellation in the pool . Sounds like a typical ex-BOS flight, some punter always looking for action .
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club
15 Aug. 2015 Power outage at Wash. en route FAA air traffic center snarls traffic.

ZDC finally getting back up now. there are already a few departures heading out. i'm sure it will take a few hours to get completely back to normal, but at least it's a Saturday night (slowest shift of the week)
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: United 1K
I'm reboarded on UA 3333, IAD-PHL. Pilot and first officer time out at 5:30EDT, 78 minutes away.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
Hopefully there won't be too many issues tomorrow due to this outage. I have a friend flying PHX-IAD-BDL on standby tomorrow. Should be interesting.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Truly hard to understand the lack of backup systems in this day and age. More infrastructure problems.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I'm in this mess now. Was supposed to be on a U.S. air flight from DCA to BTV at 10:35am. Spent 2 hours on the runway before we deplaned. Now I'm at Dulles waiting to get on a United flight (not sure how that works out) at 5:35 . . . That's been delayed until 8:45 (so far). What a nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.