Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airline elite status is hardest to attain?

Which airline elite status is hardest to attain?

Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
I've already spent that much this year and will spend more in the coming months.

It's not that difficult if your company pays for business class. Luckily, my job requires that I go to different cities, but if your company had a lot of business in Angola, it would be different.

I sincerely believe that any company that's serious about their international business strategy should pay to keep their employees happy and well-rested.

...Well, I can see why start-ups or small businesses can't afford business class, but international efforts can cost millions, if they can't fork over the cash to pay for a decent plane ride, perhaps they need to re-evalute whether they're ready to go global.

Note: this opinion is coming from someone who has worked at a small company and a large company, with tons of int'l economy experience. It's just not worth the toll it takes on your body if you travel more than a few times a year.
I know people who do huge amounts of travel and those I know that fly AF, BA and EK 1st to Luanda monthly are paying in the region of $250,000 a year just on this travel and only visiting Luanda for a day each time. With all the other countires they visit in the reat of each month, their annual spend must be substantially more.

I perhaps should have named the thread "is DT's the world's worst frequent flyer program?"! There are clearly a few elite statuses such as LH top tier which may well be more expensive to earn. But I think they would certainly be easier to earn. The benefits are certainly much better!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
Let's not confuse "hard" with "expensive." There's no minimum flying requirement, just a minimum spending requirement. Many people think $60,000 is a lot of money (I certainly do!), but others, and many companies, don't.

I would argue that any status level that requires 100,000 or so actual "butt in seat" flight miles is HARDER - not more expensive, but HARDER - to attain than one that essentially gives you status for writing a sufficiently large check.
One would have to fly over 165,000 miles (OK only 7,700 in Y) on DT in J to get Umbi Umbi Gold on my outlined itinerary above (imagine that with 106 DT check ins)! If you tried to obtain Umbi Umbi Gold status on DT in Y, I think you would be looking at well in excess of 400,000 miles flown. One could of course achieve DT Gold status a bit quicker by flying F (probably only around 90,000 miles needed if all in F).

If you had to do domestic flying in Angola, you would need even more miles flown as the fares are cheap. But in my experience of flying DT, Y is often full or nearly full and J and F have one or two passengers at most. I would imagine there are fewer than 100 Umbi Umbi Golds and may be not many more than you can count on your fingers!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by groundops
One would have to fly over 165,000 miles (OK only 7,700 in Y) on DT in J to get Umbi Umbi Gold on my outlined itinerary above (imagine that with 106 DT check ins)! If you tried to obtain Umbi Umbi Gold status on DT in Y, I think you would be looking at well in excess of 400,000 miles flown. One could of course achieve DT Gold status a bit quicker by flying F (probably only around 90,000 miles needed if all in F).

If you had to do domestic flying in Angola, you would need even more miles flown as the fares are cheap. But in my experience of flying DT, Y is often full or nearly full and J and F have one or two passengers at most. I would imagine there are fewer than 100 Umbi Umbi Golds and may be not many more than you can count on your fingers!
You realize it's Angola right? How much did you really expect?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
What would typical annual spend be to obtain UA GS?
The informal consensus on UA's forum is >$40000. With the condition that some amount (how much percentage - still matter of debate) should come from bookings in First/Business on international routes.

In other words, if you spend >40K booking Y fares only, you won't get GS.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by invisible
The informal consensus on UA's forum is >$40000. With the condition that some amount (how much percentage - still matter of debate) should come from bookings in First/Business on international routes.

Not even FULL Y fares?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

So Umbi Gold is almost 50% more expensive than UA GS!

I wonder what LH aficiondos reckon is spend requirement for LH Hon Circle?

Perhaps Umbi Gold is the hardest to achieve of published FF statuses!?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not even FULL Y fares?
AFAIK, no. It has to be Business/First. There was a statement of a guy who spent $50K on fully refundable Y fares over the year and he did not get GS.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible

Do the GS requirements still vary based on your home airport? Seems like a few years ago there was discussion how it was easier to qualify GS from a smaller outpost than if all of your travel initiated at a hub.

I thought that sounded strange...why would some guy from Des Moines get GS for a fraction what it took for someone flying out of Dulles or SFO every week? But like many of these things, no one was 100% sure if it was true.

In general, I put elite statuses reserved for corporate travel planners in their own category. I think hotels have these too - sometimes unofficially more than anything. You're more likely to end up in a Presidential Suite by being a large event planner or some other type of corporate travel decision-maker than you are to be, say, Marriott Platinum.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:12 pm

Is there a spend requirement for HON? I thought it was just 600k miles in a rolling 2 year period?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Do the GS requirements still vary based on your home airport? Seems like a few years ago there was discussion how it was easier to qualify GS from a smaller outpost than if all of your travel initiated at a hub.
That one as well. 40K for SFO was not enough for many.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

There is no spend requirement for LH Hon Circle. I would drop this Umbi Gold thing. It's nowhere near the hardest to obtain! Plus it sounds like a membership to lap dancing club!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Plus it sounds like a membership to lap dancing club!
+1. "What happens in the Umbi Umbi Room stays in the Umbi Umbi Room..."
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds too much like what Berlusconi got up to in the Bunga Bunga parties...
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

"UMBI UMBI (CicorniaAbdimi), its a very commun Angolan bird, that, in traditional belief, brings good news, aspire to fly higher and call other birds to fly with him."

I still hold Umbi Gold is hard to achieve. Flying on LH is a delight. UA is pleasant. DT is hell!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
No one has mentioned AA Concierge Key - not an easy get either - similar to UA GS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.